Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Misspent energy.

Misspent energy.
June 08, 2013, 08:12:21 PM
People expend an inordinate amount of energy carefully appearing to not be what they are, while appearing to be something they are not.
Like most, I spent many years being solely ego-driven and self-centered. While being savvy enough to know I would be better served to not appear to be these things.
Nowadays, after enormous effort, I have reached a state of not being ego-driven and self-centered, with the paradoxical consequence of no longer being savvy enough to try to appear to not be what I now am.

When one succeeds in becoming admirable in one's own eyes, rather than merely giving others that impression, one forgets the social rules that dictate that how one appears is far more important - to others - than what one actually is.

Development costs considerable energy.
Maintaining the appearance of non-existent development also costs considerable energy.
To what end is that energy best spent?

Re: Misspent energy.
June 08, 2013, 11:43:54 PM
I cannot appear to be anything but what I am. It is somehow impossible for me to even try to be something I am not. I used to think of this as a handicap, but now I see it as a strength.

Still, I cannot control how others percieve me. And often, people have very strange ideas about who or what I am. They think that I think a lot of things, which I've really never thought about. Furthermore, they think that I act in accordance with these imaginary thoughts, which is just crazy. To me at least.

I like to believe that I spend all my energy on self-development, and that I don't really give ego a thought. But still, I may appear as if I spend a great deal of energy on appearences to others.

I guess the end I spend my energy on isn't necessarily within my own conscious control.

June 09, 2013, 02:48:05 AM
You simply do what you do?
Congratulations, Mr. Natural.
So many others seem only capable of contrived actions and behaviours.
I call that insanity. While others seem to equate it with being 'nice'.

June 09, 2013, 05:08:55 PM
You simply do what you do?
Congratulations, Mr. Natural.

So many others seem only capable of contrived actions and behaviours.
I call that insanity. While others seem to equate it with being 'nice'.

Take such people out of their social setting, and some of them simply goes 'off', like if you turned of a TV. It's kind of scary.

June 10, 2013, 03:15:51 AM
Meh. There are plenty of people that are in dire need of self-awareness. Ever come into contact with someone that treats their fellows like garbage? We're all stuck in ways.

Hails to the OP though. As I age, I'm discovering how significant it is to not let things steal energy from you. Let things flow a little bit, don't worry.

June 10, 2013, 03:25:59 AM
There's not a great deal to worry about when you're young, although the young generally don't know that.
They have lots of energy to spare, anyway.
The older you get, though, the less you have to spare, and that's when you really need to meter it out.

June 10, 2013, 04:53:13 PM
Can worrying serve a purpose? Is it sometimes healthy to worry? Does worry sometimes restore a balance of sorts?

(These aren't rhetorical questions, by the way. I ask because I don't know).

June 10, 2013, 05:19:16 PM
On a lower  level of conscience, worrying (about life, environment etc) is healthy  because if not you will end up apathic toward life and devolve to an neuro vegetative state (a couch potato)

If you are an illuminate you can stop worrying

June 10, 2013, 05:41:22 PM
Hehe :) That was good!

June 11, 2013, 01:04:07 AM
Can worrying serve a purpose? Is it sometimes healthy to worry? Does worry sometimes restore a balance of sorts?

(These aren't rhetorical questions, by the way. I ask because I don't know).

Worry is necessary, and can be good. However, humans are simply not equipped to deal with chronic stress, which is (or can be) a condition of modern life. "Misspent energy" is needless worry, unnecessary shit that people might tell you is worth considering, but isn't. There are a lot of opinions out there.

June 11, 2013, 02:44:35 PM
Still, everything can serve a purpose. There are ways to make uses of even the most useless things - just like there are ways to make even the most usefull things useless.

It's a matter of perspective, I guess. But your perspective influence how you act. And in the end, the outcome of your actions determine whether your energy went to good use.

What is wellspent energy? Actions generating more energy.

Misspent energy = entropy.

June 11, 2013, 03:41:56 PM

What is wellspent energy? Actions generating more energy.

Pretty apt definition there.