Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

New Finnish Death Metal

Re: New Finnish Death Metal
August 28, 2013, 01:40:32 AM
What are your issues with the aesthetic? I've not found anything disagreeable.

I personally think the aesthetic is perfect. Simply put, it isn't in the underground death metal "mainstream" -- no uniform Dark Descent production, nuanced, thoughtful composition without pretension (which is what made the Finnish style appealing in the first place). Justin/Chris are not the type of metal scenesters (superficially: they have short/no hair, no patches, jackets, excessive tattoos, and no bullshit old guy posturing*) that are now pervasive, and all the shit actually relevant to their art they hit right on the fucking head (watch live videos). Maybe death metal fans are scared of the thoughtfulness, and genuine aggression (which could be perceived as more relevant to a band like Neurosis).

Frozen to Death is currently one of my favorite death metal releases of "all time". Right up there with first-demo Rippikoulu, maybe a few others.

(Recurring theme: every time a punk source comes into contact with metal it completely reinvigorates the genre. Think: Slayer, Master, Norwegian Black Metal.)

*Not that resembling this matters, but big picture it's pretty fucking low priority.

August 28, 2013, 01:46:49 AM
Add Lantern to this list.

New, or immanent album. Fucking epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R-3f_AoYg8

Has anyone checked this one out?

First struck me as lightweight, continues to do so. The "mystical" thing lacks willful execution, and so all the other elements that make them outstanding (presentation, orchestration, composition) come across as effeminate. I'm sure it will be remembered for everything else it does well.

Basically seems like Demigod made directionless, and lukewarm through a filter of Beherit murkiness. End product is alien "speed metal".

August 31, 2013, 04:03:27 PM
Desecresy:  http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLr4Z12L-2uqfAVlTnRcXucMJeqi8mZcjV

Just nabbed this yesterday; listened to it about 3 times so far. Initial impressions are positive - love the tone on the guitar in particular. I think I'm going to start loving this album soon, it's clicked almost immediately. The midpaced feel of much of the album evokes atmosphere that a band like Necros Christos tries to do, but much better. Cheers for the rec.

August 31, 2013, 05:39:20 PM
It's solid, and oh by the way on the DLA best of 2012.  Favorite track is Vortex Unwinding if anyone wants a one track preview.  Cheers Humanicide.

September 01, 2013, 04:17:47 PM
Desecresy:  http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLr4Z12L-2uqfAVlTnRcXucMJeqi8mZcjV

Just nabbed this yesterday; listened to it about 3 times so far. Initial impressions are positive - love the tone on the guitar in particular. I think I'm going to start loving this album soon, it's clicked almost immediately. The midpaced feel of much of the album evokes atmosphere that a band like Necros Christos tries to do, but much better. Cheers for the rec.

This is amazing.

September 01, 2013, 05:05:45 PM
It's solid, and oh by the way on the DLA best of 2012.  Favorite track is Vortex Unwinding if anyone wants a one track preview.  Cheers Humanicide.

I'm on and off with this album: can't listen to all of it in one sitting (beginning 3 or so tracks seem far weaker), sometimes it's exceptional, others, C+ grade monotony.

September 01, 2013, 08:59:43 PM

I'm on and off with this album: can't listen to all of it in one sitting (beginning 3 or so tracks seem far weaker), sometimes it's exceptional, others, C+ grade monotony.

Same here, I started to listen to it again after the track recommended by Jim. It was pretty good, but even within it you sometimes have moments that break the spell. When it was in the 2012 best of I couldnt get into it at all. Better than Krypts.

An issue is simplicity. Not in songwriting overall, but in some riffs. A lot of newer metal that has an old school style has this problem. Refined songwriting, riffs let you down.