Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Are Nile any good?

Are Nile any good?
March 03, 2005, 10:38:37 AM
I've heard a little about how there music evokes dark images of ancient Eygpt.  Just wanted to check to see if they were any good before I spend my money  :-/.

Re: Are Nile any good?
March 03, 2005, 11:11:22 AM
They suck.  Typical "broothurl" death metal, with an Egypt gimmick thrown in.  Avoid.

March 03, 2005, 02:54:27 PM
Try some Hate Eternal instead.

March 03, 2005, 06:36:42 PM
Try some Hate Eternal instead.

I don't know if that is sarcasm, but that is an even worse recommendation than ignoring them completely.  I would try the first NILE ("Amongst the Catacombs...") but avoid the rest.

March 04, 2005, 07:09:20 AM
hahaha, agreed... the hate eternal comment made me laugh. nice.  8)

March 04, 2005, 01:48:51 PM
Really, Nile/H.E. is only liked because it's BROOTAL, not because of any dark imagery (is that a joke?). May as well go with the MOST BROOTAL band, rather than the LESS BROOTAL Nile.

BROOTAL \m/

March 05, 2005, 07:13:27 AM
i like the first nile because i think it's compositionally brilliant both in technicality and atmosphere, and consistency. hate eternal is just a blast beat and some riffage, and while that can work sometimes (vile anyone?) it doesn't work for them and sounds hollow and stupid. metal for the sake of metal!!! that's where your "BROOTAL METAL" comes in.

March 05, 2005, 10:01:43 AM
Nile's best stuff is their less metal stuff, mostly they suck. I hear Karl Sanders's s/t non-metal solo project is good though.

March 08, 2005, 01:11:30 PM
if you already listen to Immolation, stick with them. If you haven't heard of them, give up this Nile and Hate Eternal nonsense and go listen to some Immolation.

March 09, 2005, 11:35:42 AM
Actually, the Nile "In the Beginning" CD is quite good- easily the most listenable thing they ever did. I personally am a fan of "Catacombs of Nephran-Ka" and "Black Seeds of Vengeance" as well, but avoid "In Their Darkened Shrines" and anything forthcoming. Once their original lineup dissolved in 2001 it was all over.

Hate Eternal is moron bait, Immolation is definitely the best choice for "brutal" death metal, period.

Annihilaytorr

March 10, 2005, 07:48:29 AM
Amongst and before are decent. Avoid anything afterwards. Hate Eternal? Try the first Zyklon instead.

March 10, 2005, 07:58:35 AM
Recommending Zyklon over Hate Eternal is like recommending cancer over AIDS. Both bands are moronic.

March 10, 2005, 02:57:18 PM
I hear Karl Sanders's s/t non-metal solo project is good though.

No, it's terrible.

March 11, 2005, 02:47:36 AM
Ah.

March 11, 2005, 12:36:42 PM

No, it's terrible.

I wouldn't dismiss it as such. It's not to everyone's taste I wouldnt imagine, but I actually think it is a refreshing change to what he's been doing with Nile as of late.