Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Classical in Audiofile

Re: Classical in Audiofile
July 03, 2013, 02:46:00 AM
Probably those plus Stravinsky. I'm sure more will come to me.

July 03, 2013, 05:28:59 AM
Let's move in the direction of adding Debussy and Ravel rather than losing Saint-Saens.  I listed 17 composers, and I believe I currently count 59 on our index.  Just for sake of conservation and so I can continue to turn the wheels in my head, who would the next 17 keepers be?  Debussy, Ravel, Mahler, Shostakovich, Rachmaninoff...Chopin? Liszt? Bartok? Handel?

We don't want to disallow or discourage any uploads but I do want to re-organize and get rid of dead weight.  So I should also add that if you have made uploads or started threads with now dead links, if you were to go back in and add live links, this would go a long way in keeping the thread from getting the axe.  This goes for lesser metal artists as well.

IMHO, don't remove; fix the biggest names first, then move outward. And if some volunteers will download and keep some of the more obscure ones, even if they don't listen daily, it means we never lose those. 59 composers is a good list and could be a major draw, since sometimes it's hard to find classical out there.

E

July 03, 2013, 05:03:31 PM
We talk of keeping or deleting forum entries, but the worth of a database like audiofile constitutes the live links. There are relatively few. If Saint-SaŽns is important, please upload his best works.

If the list is intimidating to newcomers, let's guide these people through it. These would help:

-A list of essential classical for Hessians, if possible with reviews like this
-Ordering the audiofile list by style period
-Doing away with the irrelevant. We don't need 3rd rate music if 1st & 2nd rate allow for a lifetime of musical explorations.

As an aside, this made me think of the 'Genealogy of Metal' compilation from 2005 or so, which featured a bold selection of music i would've never heard if it wasn't for that comp. There was one of the few exciting Telemann pieces, and an awesome a capella renaissance madrigal (?). I'd like to hear that one again.

July 03, 2013, 06:30:26 PM
Camille Saint-Saens is back up and running.
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

July 04, 2013, 02:22:55 PM
Debussy is definitely essential. Specifically, the recordings by Walter Gieseking:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_asi_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adebussy+gieseking&keywords=debussy+gieseking&ie=UTF8&qid=1372947578

Debussy is one of the first composers to take piano music away from the formal structure and conventional harmony it had been using for the hundreds of years prior.

July 04, 2013, 02:37:05 PM
I have some Debussy that is pleasant and I also have a Chopin CD that I like a lot; I'd like to hear more of their works.  I also have some Handel but I thought it was kind of fruity!  Outside of the big names I'm only familiar with what NPR played in the afternoon, so I'm familiar with a lot of names in our index, but wouldn't really venture to give an evaluation.
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

July 08, 2013, 11:53:45 PM
"Voiles" is my favorite Debussy piece. Number two would probably be "The Sunken Cathedral."

I would say those two songs are a good yin/yang representation of Debussy's split personalities. He could write beautifully or hauntingly depending on what the piece called for.

Live performance of Debussy are the best. Definitely make the effort to see anyone in your area who is playing his music live. It is enchanting stuff in the live setting.

As for Chopin, a good starting point for him is his second and third piano sonatas. Those are probably his two most well-known compositions, and the second sonata contains the "Funeral March" movement, for which Chopin is most famous.

July 13, 2013, 04:03:50 PM
We talk of keeping or deleting forum entries, but the worth of a database like audiofile constitutes the live links.

And the links to it. So update, don't kill.