Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Is it accurate to say that...

Is it accurate to say that...
July 08, 2013, 10:11:54 PM
...most people get into metal in their adolescent years? This was brought up in a metal thread on a classical music forum, and I wonder - does this mean anything? If the answer is a resounding no, I guess just delete this thread, lol.

Re: Is it accurate to say that...
July 09, 2013, 01:31:15 PM
It's probably true, but it's true for every other genre of music as well. Mostly everybody forms their musical tastes when they're adolescents. I discovered metal six years ago, when I was sixteen, and I started to listen to it nearly exclusively about two years ago,

July 11, 2013, 06:54:12 AM
Sounds about right. I guess it would be because adolescence is the time you start branching out a bit from what has been taught or handed down in childhood. Metal definitely has an element of adolescent reaction to it too, or at least some of it does. On a classical forum I suppose the intent would be to say metal is loud banging for teenagers?

I have found as I have left adolescence behind that I am far more into metal than I was. I honestly did not really get metal for a number of years despite being attracted to it.

July 11, 2013, 02:56:25 PM
I did and I didn't.  I got a taste in adolescence, then moved on to other things, and didn't make a concerted effort to really "get" metal until much later.  There's actually no way I would have had the patience or frame of mind to understand the finer points of metal as an adolescent.  I would not have been able to wrap my psyche around Darkthrone or Ildjarn at that age.

July 11, 2013, 05:10:17 PM
On second thought, perhaps I am not different from that. Even though I was familiar with the best of extreme metal while an adolsescent, it took careful relistening of pretty much every single thing in my twenties to grasp it. Patience really is the key, once you grasp it you begin to realize how stupid popular music really is even if you have been averse to it all your life.

July 11, 2013, 11:26:35 PM
The more interesting question would be:

How many people lose interest in metal once they leave their adolescence.

July 13, 2013, 11:17:46 AM
Difficult to get anything practical out of that. You would have to qualify individual interest in metal first (how interested?), which is probably impossible. If I had to guess, I would say it would be a low % for the genuinely interested, no matter the depth of their interest, and a very high one for the casually interested.