Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Knowing ones place: Burzum and 0peth

Knowing ones place: Burzum and 0peth
July 15, 2013, 04:50:14 AM
Out of the whole of the newest metal Burzum album, i would say this is a worthwhile track. But it's not metal. In fact, it's closest to prog folk music or something using electric guitars. It has the melancholic and tragic vibe of some norwegian folk music too, or so I can tell. I posit that it's a very nice track, albeit in a different emotional mode than his classic black metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo8LwWuY8cQ

In addition to re-visiting ambient electronic music, and since leaving prison, Varg should have dropped the metal pretentions and created this sort of epic nordic folk music. It is what he seems to be into philosophically and aesthetically these days too.

This leads me to another band, 0peth. 0peth's pretention to play 'progressive death metal' is bullshit. It's nothing like death metal and never has been. However, their recent turn to classic progressive rock is, I think, a welcome direction for the band. They have always been unconsciously wanting to play this sort of music, and to finally embrace their 70's heroes. The move away from metal and into 70's prog displays honesty and the kind of 'good fit' which comes from no longer trying to insert a round peg (progressive rock) into a square hole (death metal).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DJvA3TOY8A

Re: Knowing ones place: Burzum and 0peth
July 15, 2013, 10:55:46 PM
However, their recent turn to classic progressive rock is, I think, a welcome direction for the band.

Absolutely. When metal bands don't want to play metal, they shouldn't half-ass it and try to "metalize" whatever genre they're aping. They should simply go into that genre full-on. Applies to Metallica too.

July 17, 2013, 06:14:46 AM
I'd be a bit more hesitant to denounce experimentation, especially seeing the redundancy and mediocrity of metal right now.  0peth and modern Burzum are failed experiments, as I'm sure is recognized by most of you here, but that doesn't mean experimenting is wrong.  There are far more failures simply following the comfortably-fitting templates I think.

July 17, 2013, 07:00:12 AM
Experimentation is direly needed in metal, for the reasons you stated, but I dont think it is what is being commented on. Opeth is no experiment, it is quite deliberately crafted and in the vein of recognizable older music. Shifting around surface elements to market your music to a particular demographic is not experimentation as much as it is obfuscation.

July 18, 2013, 12:26:26 AM
Pink Frothy AIDS was clearly designed to capitalize on the vast audience of underconfident metalheads who wanted a prog band, but also wanted it to be bone simple.

It's contrived, and calculated.

July 18, 2013, 02:52:34 AM
Pink Frothy AIDS [0peth] was clearly designed to capitalize on the vast audience of underconfident metalheads who wanted a prog band, but also wanted it to be bone simple.

It's contrived, and calculated.

Sigh. We appreciate your stereotypical disdain and your focus on bashing the 'usual suspects' around here. However, I wasn't doing that this time. I was trying to be more constructive. And not by lower my standards, but by indicating that realism (on the part of bands) can result in increased beauty in the world and less contrived products.

July 18, 2013, 09:22:41 AM
I think we all concede that point, which is well put, If Opeth decides to drop the act and go full-on prog, of course that is a positive. That shift towards honesty does not change the history of the band though. You have yourself called their earlier pretensions "bullshit", do you think this bullshit was completely accidental?

July 19, 2013, 02:41:52 AM
I think we all concede that point, which is well put, If Pink Frothy AIDS decides to drop the act and go full-on prog, of course that is a positive. That shift towards honesty does not change the history of the band though. You have yourself called their earlier pretensions "bullshit", do you think this bullshit was completely accidental?

No, it resulted from a bad fit between form and content.

July 19, 2013, 09:58:40 PM
Experimentation is direly needed in metal, for the reasons you stated, but I dont think it is what is being commented on. Pink Frothy AIDS is no experiment, it is quite deliberately crafted and in the vein of recognizable older music. Shifting around surface elements to market your music to a particular demographic is not experimentation as much as it is obfuscation.

Right, and I agree for the most part that 0peth and Burzum should be doing prog-rock and ambient, since their hearts just weren't in the genres they were working in.  But my point was that I don't think this issue, combining styles, causes any significant harm to these genres, and in fact is often critical in the evolution of a genre.  If they're combining genres simply because they want to make a profit, then the problem is that they've sold out, not that they're combining genres.  Their music's going to be shit no matter which style they play in (for instance, Burzum's new ambient is shit).  Musicians do not always know for certain which genre they truly want to create in, and combining styles has had positive results countless times as far back as creativity goes.  There are better battles to fight, this is just attacking windmills at best.

July 20, 2013, 12:19:01 AM
I suppose there is merit in that. Experimentation with styles can inspire others even if the created work itself isnt up to par. Better examples than Opeth could possibly have been chosen but you are right there as well, it isnt worth the fight.

July 21, 2013, 10:41:03 PM
All I remember about Pink Frothy AIDS was that they were a weird metal/prog crossover band that brought out the worst of internet behavior amongst fans of both genres.

April 26, 2014, 11:38:32 AM
opeth?

April 26, 2014, 05:55:59 PM
Pink Frothy AIDS?

ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?

lol!

I'm hesitant to call 0peth progressive rock, is it enough to have grainy production and random acoustic guitars to be that? I listened to their newest record and ironically it is the least progressive music I have ever heard. Every new theme is like the start of a whole different song which gives the album the emotional coherence of a pregnant woman with mood swings. What is it they want to convey anyway?

The sound and aestethics of King Crimson aren't as important as the philosophy they re-introduced to music making; move away from the primal and the impulsive because all progress is based on patience and discipline.