Here are five things we could do to try to change our current trajectory:
1. Stop subsidizing stupid; public policies and benefits must promote good choices and responsibility.
2. Be willing to stand by and watch people fail – with a humane safety net far below, of course.
3. Be open to serious education reform – and we’ve got to rethink everything, including school choice, parent/teacher accountability, and false self-esteem; not everybody deserves a trophy.
4. We need to stop ignoring, tolerating and even rewarding boorish, coarse, ignorant people and behavior.
5. As Superior Court Judge Danny Craig suggested in our Feb. 24 editorial, all of us should see ourselves as leaders and pick up our game in every facet of our lives.
Ultimately, it may matter less how smart humans are than how smart they act.http://chronicle.augusta.com/opinion/editorials/2013-03-10/evolution-stupidity