Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Trolling Hipsters on the streets of NY

Re: Trolling Hipsters on the streets of NY
July 28, 2013, 02:25:47 PM
The negative fascination with hipsters, in my experience, is associated with the uninformed. Are there ridiculous people who base their taste on faddish contradistinction and superficiality? Absolutely. Currently, the term hipster is bandied about in the same way that "emo" was however many years ago. It's a scapegoat for all of the Crowd's hatred. In high school, anyone that listened to "dark" music "listened to screamo/goth". Now, it's anyone who has particular tastes in music or art, or dresses in a distinctive manner.

People like tilting at windmills - inflating situations to take on the importance of similarly fabricated social problems*. If I've learned anything (and I'm sure you'll call me a hipster), it's that much of what the public makes into a big deal is either a non-issue, or something notably different than what it's made out to be.

The above is satire. Comedy touches on real truths only rarely, and when it does, an emotional chord is struck in most. People can forget or miss how deprived of credibility their source is.

EDIT*: Ironic, then - an "inflation" of a board discussion into a larger matter!

July 29, 2013, 07:58:04 AM
I don't agree. Everyone hates hipsters except hipsters (actually, even them), but most people do have a difficult time explaining exactly what a hipster is. This is because they consider them unique to our time instead of an ancient kind of personality that has latched on to a particular image these days. Hipsters, above all, are people who care about form before content. The ultimate relativists, almost apathetic in their distance from reality and immersion into a social game. The supreme irony of course being that they consider themselves the opposite; truly open minded subversives against a hegemonic system. Hipsters think they are hessians, perhaps that is why metal attracts so many. I am sure Rome had its hipsters.

NHA

July 29, 2013, 10:49:57 AM
Everyone hates hipsters except hipsters (actually, even them),
Does anyone actually admit to being a hipster in a non-ironic way? Claiming to be inauthentic is a massive social blunder in a culture full of people that desperately need validation that their image is the real deal (probably in relation to some shit they saw on TV). Even though the image itself is mostly only defined by consumption habits. Metal is an opt-in "culture": buy the socially sanctioned CDs, books, clothes, and presto you're a metalhead. Sincerity is usually not externally verifiable anyway.

Hipsters, above all, are people who care about form before content. The ultimate relativists, almost apathetic in their distance from reality and immersion into a social game.
This describes most of the general population.

The supreme irony of course being that they consider themselves the opposite; truly open minded subversives against a hegemonic system.
This describes every liberal in the US.

I get the impression that a major component of the original dislike towards hipsters (at this point a lot of the hatred is based off Social Proof) stems from class conflict, with all the resentment that entails, and urban gentrification. Bourgeois Boheme ("bobo", a mutant hybrid of 1980's American yuppie and 1960s hippie) are distinct from hipsters, yet overlap in several areas, and are mostly hated in the same way as hipsters (particularly in France). They're basically neo-liberals: always searching for moral justification, eco-conscious, fixated on counter-culture yet highly conformist, and superficially sympathetic with the "plight of the working class".

July 29, 2013, 02:42:40 PM
I follow my course with the precision and security of a sleepwalker

July 29, 2013, 05:14:52 PM

Psh, no wonder he had to bomb stuff, look at those rags he's dressed himself in! Come on, two wool scarves and sunglasses when it's cloudy out? Tsk. He wouldn't even be LOOKED at if he went to Chelsea. :wave of limp wrist:

In all seriousness, being from NY and spending time in NYC seems to have given me heightened hipster sensors. Seek out people who are genuine, and hipsters will stay far, FAR away from you.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

July 30, 2013, 01:09:08 AM
"Sincerity is usually not externally verifiable anyway."

THAT is something.

I could almost use it in defense of hipsters.

July 30, 2013, 02:04:38 AM
The day may come when they need defending.
Endangered species, facing extinction, and all that.
Squawk!

August 03, 2013, 08:16:01 PM

Sadly, they seem to be breeding. Children are a new trend-object. Hipsters view them as art projects.

August 03, 2013, 08:51:00 PM

Sadly, they seem to be breeding. Children are a new trend-object. Hipsters view them as art projects.

This is a gruesome, cruel, accurate observation. Unfortunately I come from a fairly "religious" family and I'm seeing some of this happen in my siblings who are having children. Sometimes it looks like they're showing off their baby like one would show off a new car, bragging about their new cold-air intake or racing brakes or carbon-fiber hood. I give them the benefit of the doubt because they are family. Nevertheless...

NHA

August 04, 2013, 01:42:11 PM
Oh yes, delusional parents showing off their wonderful little sack of shit is such a new hipster trend.

The fabulous world of bullshit bumperstickers:

(couldn't find a non ironic one ha)

Actually, maybe these people are just proto-hipsters.

August 05, 2013, 12:29:38 AM
Oh yes, delusional parents showing off their wonderful little sack of shit is such a new hipster trend.

The fabulous world of bullshit bumperstickers:

(couldn't find a non ironic one ha)

Actually, maybe these people are just proto-hipsters.

I'm not sure which sticker deserves the most derisive guffaw; "live simply" or "question reality".

August 05, 2013, 01:21:55 AM
My all time favourite was:
"Blacks out of Africa!"

Probably before your time :)
Squawk!

August 05, 2013, 02:00:03 AM

This is not the case, though the misanthropy of it can make it an appealing position for some (like me). See it as a spectrum, a normal distribution, with hipsters at the extreme end of the curve. We are all slaves to the social to some degree. It is easy to be bitter with the sorry state of affairs in a lot of the world, but I have found the reaction to it can sometimes go overboard.

August 05, 2013, 02:12:13 AM

This is not the case, though the misanthropy of it can make it an appealing position for some (like me). See it as a spectrum, a normal distribution, with hipsters at the extreme end of the curve. We are all slaves to the social to some degree. It is easy to be bitter with the sorry state of affairs in a lot of the world, but I have found the reaction to it can sometimes go overboard.

I guess it depends on your personal experience.

Cynicism = age + number of humans interacted with?

August 05, 2013, 06:40:10 AM
I'm not yet a versed expert in aging, although I am approaching such a state at what seems to be a mercilessly accelerating velocity. So, by all accounts, take the following with as many grains of salt as you find necessary in order to make it palatable: Age does not simply contribute to cynicism. Yes, you do continue to lose whatever rosy tint remains over your view of the world. But as everything outside becomes uglier, you eventually reach a point of reversal.

This assumes you have some sort of thing analogous to a soul, of course. But, assuming that, you do eventually come to the realization that the only possible rational response to the dreck and slime festering around you is to counterbalance it. Once you reach this point, you do continue to become more and more cynical - but this increasing cynicism in thought only feeds an ever-growing idealism in action. You become just as tired of complaining about things as you do of the things themselves. You realize all your moaning and tooth-gnashing has never convinced a single human being in a way that leads to any sort of improvement. Even those reveling in filth (e.g., hipsters) do this, this whining, even if regarding issues different than the ones you have become so accustomed to decrying.

So you stop. You stop bitching. You even try to not think too much about the things that bother you. But whereas you may have once done this because you were disturbed by the destination to which such roads could take you, you now avoid them because you are fully aware of them. You do not ignore them; you acknowledge them. You have become familiar. In some way, you embrace them. And in so doing, you have reached the point where dwelling on them does nothing but hinder your response. You know what your response must be, and instead of thinking about the problems, you think only of your own actions.

Anyway, that's my horrendously verbose response to that three-word conceptual equation. The "Cynicism = age + number of humans interacted with" question. Again, salt to taste. I am not old just yet, so who knows whether I will change in the future. I have many times already.

By the way, I don't think number of humans with which you have interacted affects your cynicism at all. The man who reaches death having had only one friend his whole life, will feel no less fulfilled than he who had many. If anything, I would wager he feels even more fulfilled. I see no reason why this would not also be true on the opposite end of the spectrum.
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2