Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Darkthrone, a day in the life of

Darkthrone, a day in the life of
August 02, 2013, 02:48:34 AM
Fenriz is a postman and Nocturno Culto is a school teacher. Quite functional occupations, if I do say so.

Re: Darkthrone, a day in the life of
August 02, 2013, 08:04:31 AM
Quite literally mailing it in

August 03, 2013, 01:05:17 PM
A hard day’s work can be quite humbling but more often than not extremely mind-numbing, unless of course you’re in a position of considerable influence (though people with souls rarely are [evident bold generalization/gut feeling]). At any rate I will forever respect Darkthrone for their first six albums through which they truly achieved transcendence. Highlighting and exalting the otherworldly over the mundane and neurotic aspects of the daily grind. Sadly enough they were too arrogant to see this and thus converted the highpoint of their lives into a part-time day job. Ironically the day-job is exactly how every everyman seeks to define his life.

August 03, 2013, 03:39:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vccuD3cutxw

in that film, you can see them fishing, skiing, hicking, playing chinese checkers, etc

August 03, 2013, 07:55:54 PM
What about other metal musicians who have sort of faded away? Doug Cerrito is apparently an engineer. That helstar guitarist, Andre Corbin (on a whole different level from even his bandmates), sells skating gear or something.

August 03, 2013, 08:01:43 PM
I don't really dig their new music, but I still respect the hell out of Darkthrone, both for their earlier work and their being productive members of society. I'm currently embarking on the heavy metal teacher path in life myself, so Culto is a bit of an inspiration. Also, Fenriz' online presence has introduced me to some cool music over the years, like Siekiera, Savage Grace, and Griffin.
Doug Cerrito is apparently an engineer.
This might sound silly, but that career path almost seems like a forgone conclusion when you listen to songs he wrote like the title track off of Breeding the Spawn and such. The man wrote music that felt more like it came from an architect than from a songwriter, which is probably why early Suffocation has been a favorite of mine for nearly a decade. Has anyone here ever actually manged to listen to his post Suffo stuff with Day of Doom? Apparently it's mostly instrumental death metal with really long song running times, but I've never actually been able to find anything to listen to, even low quality mp3's or stuff on eBay. I really liked his stuff with Welt and the Hate Eternal songs he wrote, so this is kind of like the death metal holy grail for me.

August 04, 2013, 01:06:22 PM
I've never actually been able to find anything to listen to, even low quality mp3's or stuff on eBay

http://www.reverbnation.com/dayofdoom

Two tracks with Cerrito

August 09, 2013, 01:28:42 AM
Ha ha, I gave up looking for their stuff before Reverbnation even existed! Thanks, this is really awesome. Definitely has the old Cerrito feeling to it, but in a totally new way. I get a bit of an early At the Gates vibe during that 1:18-1:35-ish part on the first song. Even if Cerrito's not involved anymore, I'm still pretty stoked to hear more from these guys.