Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Literature; Fiction

Literature; Fiction
August 15, 2013, 05:24:37 PM
Sometimes I unfold these bizarre packages of compressed wood and assimilate categorizable ink stains in their logical arrangement. It is a great pleasure for me.

Two authors that I think are relevant to listeners of death metal are H.P. Lovecraft and Frank Herbert. The similarity between the two lies in their themes of the individual being at the mercy of an utterly merciless universe. The distinction between the two lies in Lovecraft's themes of the individual as ultimately powerless against inhuman cosmic forces, whereas Herbert's characters are willing to sacrifice their individuality (and much more in Paul Atreide's case!) in order to obtain the power necessary to do what they consider necessary in a scheme broader than their own paltry desires and schemes.

Any more recommendations or elaborations? I'm always interested in reading some anit-individualist fiction like these two masterminds have to offer, and I'm running low on materials from both of them.

Re: Literature; Fiction
August 15, 2013, 05:51:31 PM
Larry Niven is my all-time favorite.
Ringworld, and The Ringworld Engineers.
His short story anthologies rock, too, but later works fail somewhat, since they are always dual-written by him and some nondescript mudwasp or other.

I guess what he does really well is pit a very unusual human, and well-cast alien colleagues, against a pitiless cosmos, which manages to faze them not at all. Dire danger made commonplace, and a fact of life.
Which is the actual state of all of us, although we rarely recognize it.

August 15, 2013, 05:54:12 PM
Thank you, this sounds great! A close friend and fellow musician-in-arms of mine has actually mentioned Niven; his dad is an avid SF fan and introduced me to some of Herbert's more obscure books. I will be checking some Niven out from the library this week.

August 15, 2013, 06:00:35 PM
If there is such a thing as a Nivenophile, then I am it.
I've read three of his novels at least twenty times, each.
I don't know of any other author I'd read more than twice.

August 15, 2013, 06:18:43 PM
I have a complete collection of Poe's short stories and poetry and I've read that through at least four or five times. I've read the whole "Dune" series at least three times; several books more than three because my library doesn't have all of them. H.G. Wells has several short stories and novels that I found compelling enough to read 3 or more times.  I find it very special that someone else can treasure a novel of fiction enough to read it more than once. That's enough of a recommendation for me.

Hell, most people can't get through a book, even a *fictional* novel, which is supposed to *entertain* first and foremost, even *once*.