Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Morphine: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Morphine: the good, the bad, and the ugly.
August 16, 2013, 07:14:49 PM
When I was sixteen, I once downed a whole bottle of a certain cough-medicine, because I had heard you could get "a really nice stone, man".
It was true. I spent the whole day blissfully cocooned in warm, fuzzy cotton-wool.
It contained morphine, of course, and ever since, I've had this inclination to experience it again.

I've recently had the most extreme pain imaginable, owing to two abscessed front teeth, one on top, one on the bottom, both at the same time. Both were root-canalled on the same appointment, without anaesthetic.
My very odd dentist generously prescribed me the strongest painkillers he could, and advised me to use with caution.

Well. Owing to the degree of pain, I failed, entirely, to experience any pleasure from the drug. All there was, was the agony, and as far as I could tell, the drug didn't do much to block it, but instead, went some way towards rendering me unable to care about it.

Until today. Suddenly, the pain receded into the manageable zone, and finally I was left with the morphine stone. Which I found (and find) very interesting...

I hate it!

I feel uncoordinated and bleary. Shaky and ill-at-ease. Dopey and detached.
No sign, at all, of the safe and cosy warmth I remembered from my teenage years.
And so I have this to observe:

Morphine is wonderful, when your life is so horrible that it makes you feel blissful.
And it is horrible, when your life is actually blissful.

NHA

I think they gave it to me when i had my wisdom teeth pulled. I woke up feeling like a million bucks after the procedure. Cozy is a good description.

Probably the best prolonged feeling I've experienced so far - which leads to inevitable bitterness after it wears off.

CNS depressants are the ultimate escapism in drug form. Dissociatives are probably the better option for mindsphere exploration type experience, though most want something to avoid that. A few years ago I actually came upon a gigantic supply of opiates and wisely flushed them down the toilet before anything came of it.

Great. Now it's all in the groundwater.

It is wise to never dabble in opiates. They are not to be underestimated. I have unfortunately had personal experience, though not long lasting and only transiently damaging (as a result of my profession I had easy access to clean supplies) and while nothing matches the sensation (it is better than love in a sense). It is empty, meaningless, ultimately unfulfilling, though it may hold off the utter despair that some people in the modern world seem to be afflicted with. Fortunately I had no such issues, but simply had a novelty seeking nature which I now recognize and curtail more strictly.

I am a strong supporter of the use of opiates and opioids in medicine however. It is odd that heroin should be accessible illegally in say, the US, by anyone who wishes to procure it; except the people who actually need it. Those who are suffering with preventable extreme pain are denied.

The symptoms you felt can sometimes occur with these drugs crow. You dont always get them. Nevertheless, if you do not need it I suggest disposing of it or at least discontinuing it.

Generally good advice. These things carry a scorpion sting. But I have been badly injured so many times, that it only makes sense to hoard what's left, against future pain, and the notorious unwillingness of the medical profession to administer anything effective to manage it.
The drug in question is Oxycodone. As I understand it, a semi-synthetic opiate. I have, to date, only taken three pills. With no intention of taking any more.
Ibuprofen FTW.

A lot of people dont know that you can take Paracetamol (called Acetaminophen in North America) at doses of up to 1000mg four times a day along with full doses of Ibuprofen (400mg three times a day). These are all maximum doses for the healthy adult, which you should be. It is an extremely effective regimen if taken regularly, a lot of people dont understand the effect of taking these common medications with greater regularity.

Oxycodone is especially addictive, and there is word in the medical profession that it should be banned. At least in the United States. In the nhs it is used, but not regularly. I have prescribed it maybe four times in two years. Two of them for patients who had a below knee amputation of the leg.

Well, I've never tried aspirin and ibuprofen in such large doses.
Mainly because I am so incredibly sensitive, to pretty much everything.
A splitting headache might persuade me to take one Ibuprofen, if I can't move it by pressure-point manipulation.
But I'll bear that info. in mind, for the next time.
I'm sure there will be one.

Are you a medical student? You must be pretty far advanced to be writing prescriptions.

No, students dont write prescriptions as far as I am aware, I am a doctor.

Just testing :)
Now, about all these symptoms I have...

I took a synthetic opioid (tramadol) for years. It was awful because within a couple weeks of taking it regularly, it would start to lose its effect, so I would increase my dose. Before my 2 months' supply was up, I had doubled my daily dose and still was not getting as much relief as I should have been. Then of course I would run out early and agonize for a matter of weeks sometimes before I could get my prescription refilled.

Let me tell you though... it was an extremely pleasurable experience when I had enough to take. I would easily get stoned as fuck off of my normal dose (at least for the first week). I seemed to build up a tolerance really quickly though.

The trauma came when I ran out. I was a monster. I couldn't function at work or with people. My mood swung like a criminal on a noose.

I wish I could integrate whatever it was exactly that spoke to my mind directly, 'Your life will be better if you don't have to deal with these ups and downs. You'll never feel this good again but you'll never feel this bad.' Whatever it was, it was right.

I stopped taking them well over a year ago, around the time I quit smoking (which was a brilliant move; talk about a double-whammy).

Still, never does a day go by that I don't think I should find some and take some because life would be so much easier to handle. I haven't though, and I'm not going to. Yet I don't know if I'll ever really get over that lust.

Damn. Both times I've gotten sedatives for operations, I end up feeling like garbage and wallowing on the couch for days. Nowadays I avoid even ibuprofen.

I'd rather uppers, so I can get this damn housework done! not downers.

Well, that's the mysterious thing about morphine:
If you're up, it's a downer, while if you're down, it's an upper.
It is as well to remember that what it does best is to be an emergency painkiller.

NHA

Alcohol kinda has the same split effect. I haven't noticed what actually causes it though.