Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Spiritualism

Re: Spiritualism
August 22, 2013, 12:37:45 AM
No matter how old you may become, a little naivete is a worthwhile attribute to keep.
Squawk!

August 22, 2013, 02:51:00 AM
I respect your posts more than you probably realize, crow.

Nevertheless!

You and I are different types of humans at the core of our selves.

I insist that through absurd belligerence, I might strike another soul into initiating the drive to *accept* rather than *understand*.

August 22, 2013, 02:59:00 AM
While being, yourself, living proof that it can not be done.
But that is no reason to do otherwise.
I have a faint memory of youth, and what that was.
For all its drawbacks, it was fuckin' great  :)
Squawk!

August 28, 2013, 01:37:51 AM
All right -

I am a Christian as I follow Christ wherever he takes me.

But what is Christ? He is the God-Man: 'God' meaning reality in all its mystery. 'Christ' meaning the real man infinitely beyond the flaws of what we usually call 'humanity'.

I've read the new testament many many times. I reached a point where I felt I understood everything in it perfectly. I understood what Christ 'represented', the meaning of his words, his death and his resurrection. I saw it all as an allegory or metaphor for existence as such.

And then I realized that I really didn't understand anything at all.

I was in the forest and the sun was setting. The birds sang. The treetops were swaying gently in the wind, as I leaned back against a tree and just took in the darkening forest, the sounds, the all. And Christ was in it all.

"Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree”" - Galatians 3:13

It didn't make sense at all. It was experience. It wasn't supposed to make sense - and trying to make sense of it would be truly nonsensical. 

"Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law..."

The law is the old way of looking at things. It may make perfect sense intellectually - but it isn't it. There is 'something' beyond. As many of you have allready said: Words can't reach this place - but they can hint at it.

Now, I am working on making this 'place' my permanent dwelling - a serious task. "For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it."

-All this being said, I recognize that there are many ways of reaching the spirit. Christ is but one.

August 28, 2013, 02:30:44 AM
Please elaborate on how teachings from an absolute pacifistic Jew in any way illuminate reality.

And then explain how his being nailed to a piece of wood should in any way influence what you believe.
Liberalism is moral syphilis.

- Jonathan Bowden

August 28, 2013, 02:39:34 AM
Jesus was no absolute pacifist and neither was the Church for centuries, this is a more recent sickness.

August 28, 2013, 02:45:58 AM
The words ascribed to him are indicative of such a temperament.

Of course the Church wasn't - it was a conduit for Jewish expansion over Europe.

- Jonathan Bowden

August 28, 2013, 03:13:09 AM
It is necessary to have some interest in possible truth, before that possible truth will be visible.
It is the easiest of easy things to ridicule something. It takes more effort to grasp the mysterious.

Squawk!

August 28, 2013, 03:17:32 AM
In such a search, it's important to recognize when one is going down a wrong path - before getting lost.

- Jonathan Bowden

August 28, 2013, 03:21:26 AM
Are you referring to Jesus, a bad Jew, or to the Christian religion?
Squawk!

August 28, 2013, 03:26:09 AM
Yes.

- Jonathan Bowden

August 28, 2013, 03:31:47 AM
Ha. Well, if you see all those things as the the same, it's no wonder you ridicule it.
If a group of aliens took you, for example, as representative of all humankind, who knows what they would make of it?
Whatever they made of it, it would hardly be very accurate.
Squawk!

August 28, 2013, 03:37:10 AM
Ha. Well, if you see all those things as the the same, it's no wonder you ridicule it.

They're not the same, but they are all insidious.

- Jonathan Bowden

August 28, 2013, 04:01:17 AM
Jesus, I am very certain, was an ordinary man, who, through his enlightenment, became extraordinary.
Christianity, the religion, has nothing, whatsoever, to do with Jesus the man.
Jesus was not a 'Christian'.

Squawk!

August 28, 2013, 04:22:18 AM
I consider enlightenment to be a way of describing someone who has achieved recognition of reality and is able to be in tune with it.

I consider you to be such, along with the admin here.

I don't see any evidence that Jesus was such.

He advocated abandoning any focus on our struggle here in favor of some fantastical external world of which there is no reason to suggest it exists. He accumulated sycophantic followers and told them the only way to truth was through him. That is evidence of someone who seeks to create a personality cult, not someone interested in a quest for reality.

He promoted the Jewish guilt tripping of sin, and said the only way to absolve such transgressions is to grovel before an imagined ultimate arbiter on values.

In addition, he advocated ridiculous limp-wrested faggotry such as abandoning self-defense.

This has far more in common with liberalism than with anything valuable.

- Jonathan Bowden