Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

New Underground Wave

New Underground Wave
August 19, 2013, 11:46:04 PM
Hey guys, do you know new bands with metalcore death metal? Like cryptopsy. Like Techgrind, Modern Death or new Black Metal.

Re: New Underground Wave
August 20, 2013, 03:14:28 AM
I have terrible taste and like lots of faggy new "post-black metal" bands.

Krallice - they write long songs with lots of very logical twists and turns. 2 guitars with lots of harmony and counterpoint.

Dodecahedron - some pretty scary black metal, more abstract and alien than brutal or Satanic.

Deathspell Omega - extremely far-out weirdness, based on black metal but has nothing really in common with Burzum or Emperor. Lots of technicality to be absorbed here too.

Cephalic Carnage - as technical and grindy as I've ever heard. Grind isn't really my thing though.

August 20, 2013, 08:15:06 PM
I just cant understand how someone can like Krallice, especially after listening to good black metal. DSO I can understand at least, Cephalic Carnage too, even though they are both trash, but not Krallice.

August 21, 2013, 05:51:02 AM
It has to do with years of studying guitar playing, music theory, and composition, I guess.

When you hear something that throws all of those rules out the window and relies to purely on pure song-writing intuition, it is exciting.

I really can't stand Cephalic Carnage, even in my most vulgar states of mind. They are really the only grind-related band that I find interesting enough to recommend. I don't understand most grind though.  :P

I would blame the fact that I don't smoke enough weed, but...

August 21, 2013, 08:30:42 PM
If you appreciate early Terrorizer, Napalm Death, Carcass and Pathologist that is more than enough grind to get. If you dont get those then its time to get to work!

August 21, 2013, 10:23:06 PM
I did used to listen to a lot of Napalm Death but the lack of musical discipline wore on me too quickly. Nothing really interests me more than dedication to one's instrument of choice. Krallice exemplifies this notion more than most black metal bands (but this is a silly comparison if you, like myself, do not consider Krallice to be black metal, Doubtless they are inspired by black metal techniques but are really too far removed to be considered contributors to the genre).

August 22, 2013, 12:24:43 AM
krallice is maybe one notch above liturgy but that's about it

August 22, 2013, 02:56:09 AM
I listen to Liturgy quite a bit this last couple of years too. I love their sense of harmony and counterpoint. It is very natural. Also, their drummer shows much more ability to attune to the entire band than most any other band does, far beyond regular old metal.

So... suck it, I guess?

August 22, 2013, 06:54:17 AM
So... suck it, I guess?

just cut to the chase next time

August 22, 2013, 08:09:04 PM
I listen to Liturgy quite a bit this last couple of years too. I love their sense of harmony and counterpoint. It is very natural. Also, their drummer shows much more ability to attune to the entire band than most any other band does, far beyond regular old metal.

So... suck it, I guess?

Dude, you're going to downplay grindcore in favor of fucking Liturgy? Liturgy/Krallice/Ludicra/Panopticon/shittypostblackmetal bands are the BANE of metal. Throwing in lazy post-rock influences just 'cause it's hip to.

I'd also argue that a good amount of grind bands can play their instruments pretty well; maybe not MASTERING their instruments but surely well enough. Besides, if instrumental prowess can't write good songs, what's the point of being good at the instrument? See: Brain Drill, Veil Of Maya, other terrible 'tech' death and deathcore bands as well as aforementioned nu-black bands.

The hell are you even doing on this forum?

August 22, 2013, 08:52:11 PM
I do downplay grindcore in favor of Liturgy only by comparing the writing styles and musical techniques.

Liturgy appeals to me because they craft smooth songs with harmonies and crescendos that make my brain squirt lots of happy juices.

I have no problem enjoying them because I don't get their music entangled with metal. It is a different animal and I don't judge them in the same context that I use to judge metal bands. Krallice; same thing. I compare them to Explosions in the Sky, which is another band that I like alot. They use marching beats and tremelo picking but my mind does not place them anywhere near the metal classification area.

August 22, 2013, 09:02:42 PM
The hell are you even doing on this forum?

Trolling? Submitting dissenting opinions? Trying to recommend some music that I like to a dude? Take your pick I guess.

I looked up Brain Drill because that's a hell of a name and damn. That's some shit. I looked up Veil of Maya because that sounded mystical and everything, and damn, that's also some shit. There is no logic in the series of riffs and tempos. It's like they can't pay attention to their own music for enough minutes to complete a whole song. There is no depth in the composition. That's what makes them different from Krallice. If you think that Krallice and Liturgy undermine some aspect of metal or dilute the spirit or dishonor tradition then that's fine, I'm not going to argue that because it's too personal of a view, but I will argue the facts about their composing and play techniques, which follow: They're good.

August 22, 2013, 11:11:02 PM
These bands are the bane of metal because they are bad, first of all. They make bad music. I am a bit surprised at Liturgy. Do you like death and black metal in general? I would suppose so, but no harm asking after that exchange. No malicious intent, I dont intend to argue anything, but I am interested in the rest of your metal interests. Also, you personally categorizing these bands as non-metal doesnt mean that they arent generally perceived as metal bands. They contribute to an undesired image of the music and in general make the world a worse place by releasing the stuff of landfills.

Edit: Would you wear a Liturgy t-shirt???

August 23, 2013, 12:28:44 AM
a purportedly intelligent individual listening to nonsense like Liturgy is no different from 30-year old hipsters who profess to enjoy the work of Taylor Swift: it's down purely to irony and as such is intended to say more about the listener than what he's listening to.  pass. or, rather, run like hell.

August 23, 2013, 04:03:06 AM
Throwing in lazy post-rock influences just 'cause it's hip to.

Versus careful, meaningful inclusion of post-rock influences? Do you have an artist/group in mind?