Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

A.D.

Re: A.D.
August 26, 2013, 07:25:50 PM
What I wrote is what I meant. Yes.

August 26, 2013, 07:51:25 PM
You don't think that death metal could be a step toward people coming to accept and appreciate (and maybe even find beauty in) processes of reality like death and decay?

Or do you see it as a way to try to reign in and encapsulate reality through a fearful reaction?

August 26, 2013, 09:09:48 PM
I don't know what it is, other than it is something I instinctively avoid.
But there are quite a few things I feel the same way about: people, in general, for example.
I really have no need to know why this is, although I'm sure if I considered it, I could come up with all kinds of reasonable hypotheses.
But I am not going to, because, really, it doesn't matter what I think.

August 26, 2013, 09:14:58 PM
Your unwillingness to hypothesize is mildly infuriating!

August 27, 2013, 12:52:15 AM
Deliberately offensive. Painful. Opposite of beauty. Decomposition as art. Industrial cacophony as anthem.
As you say: I am old. It took me many years to become so, and it was mostly not easy.

Can I ask, benignly, why did you put your hand up to moderate a death metal forum in this case?

August 27, 2013, 12:53:06 AM
Your unwillingness to hypothesize is mildly infuriating!

Aha! There's an advantage I had not considered  :)

August 27, 2013, 01:02:21 AM

Can I ask, benignly, why did you put your hand up to moderate a death metal forum in this case?

How many times do I have to explain this???
I didn't put my hand up, apply, or otherwise volunteer.
There was this forum, see, and its owner, with whom I have had dealings with over several years, recognized the boundless extremes of talent I possess, on many fronts, over many subjects. He was also aware that I shared many of his political and lifestyle views, in addition to being sufficiently mature for the task at hand.
He enquired as to whether I might like to try sorting out the ugly chaos that previously reigned, here, since nobody else seemed able, or willing to.
So here I am. The content is of no consequence. It is the human interaction I am concerned with. Period.

But since I spend time here, I put it to good use, honing my ability to endure the previously unendurable, without becoming in any way upset, emotional, or crazy.

How am I doing?

Phoenix

August 27, 2013, 04:26:11 AM
If meaning is just 'effect', then I think it is a redundant concept. We can explain what water does (effects) without using concepts like meaning.

To translate, I think what Crow's getting at is that what water does, to flow, is precisely its meaning, and to deviate from that would be to lose focus of the Now; akin to how being kept in thought, desire or other preoccupations hinders you from experiencing Being.

I would consider that the idea of 'identity' as understood by living beings, simply does not apply A.D.

Crow, could you please elaborate? In order, in your view, to believe that "the idea of 'identity' as understood by living beings simply does not apply A.D.", you must have some kind of understanding of it.

If there is something, and we know not at all what it is, not WHATSOEVER, then we can make no comparisons of it to something else. So therefore you must have some inkling as to what existence without 'identity' is after A.D. Why not share it with us in more specific terms?

Phoenix

August 27, 2013, 04:42:11 AM

'Kudos' for being so benign. But I think I can answer your question. You see, this is not just a death metal website, this is also one of nihilism, and moreover of "transcendental nihilism". The owner of the website, who remains to this day most anonymous, happens to have met in Crow someone who, apart from the millions that are wrong, agrees with him in the most philosophical of ways. That is why Crow is moderator, and this signals to me that the owner is most devoted and self-obsessed with his website.

August 27, 2013, 04:48:57 AM
Enlightenment, as hinted-at, repeated and exhaustively described, previously.
A preview of death.
Having previewed it, I describe what I know of it.
Unfortunately, if the reader/listener is not suitably equipped to respond in wonder, curiosity and openness, any description will convey only baseless gibberish.

What I know of the subject at hand is this:
'Heaven' is that state one may ascend to if one is able to relinquish one's identity.
'Hell' is the descent that is inevitable to any who cling to identity.

August 27, 2013, 04:51:16 AM
That is why Crow is moderator, and this signals to me that the owner is most devoted and self-obsessed with his website.

Astute. But he is not self-obsessed. Although he may be obsessive about his work.

August 27, 2013, 05:35:34 AM

'Kudos' for being so benign. But I think I can answer your question. You see, this is not just a death metal website, this is also one of nihilism, and moreover of "transcendental nihilism". The owner of the website, who remains to this day most anonymous, happens to have met in Crow someone who, apart from the millions that are wrong, agrees with him in the most philosophical of ways. That is why Crow is moderator, and this signals to me that the owner is most devoted and self-obsessed with his website.

From i've been told, it is precisely just a death metal website now. That is why it is not the DLA anymore.

August 27, 2013, 05:39:32 AM
If meaning is just 'effect', then I think it is a redundant concept. We can explain what water does (effects) without using concepts like meaning.

To translate, I think what Crow's getting at is that what water does, to flow, is precisely its meaning, and to deviate from that would be to lose focus of the Now; akin to how being kept in thought, desire or other preoccupations hinders you from experiencing Being.

Yep, my point was that this use of the word 'meaning' is 110% redundant. What water 'does' is what water does. It is an objective property of the world. We already have the concepts to talk about that. We need concepts to talk about how subjects represent the objective. This is what 'meaning' means!

Phoenix

August 27, 2013, 05:39:41 AM
Enlightenment, as hinted-at, repeated and exhaustively described, previously.
A preview of death.
Having previewed it, I describe what I know of it.
Unfortunately, if the reader/listener is not suitably equipped to respond in wonder, curiosity and openness, any description will convey only baseless gibberish.

What I know of the subject at hand is this:
'Heaven' is that state one may ascend to if one is able to relinquish one's identity.
'Hell' is the descent that is inevitable to any who cling to identity.

Are you saying, then, finally, that if one is able to relinquish all sense of 'identity', and (in corollary) if one is able to relinquish any desire to have an afterlife, then indeed an afterlife they shall have?

Yep, my point was that this use of the word 'meaning' is 110% redundant. What water 'does' is what water does.

Anyway, what word should we use to describe the mode in which subjects represent objects in the world, if we start using 'meaning' to (mean) the same thing as 'what things do'?

Sometimes conversations do get bogged down with certain terminologies that not everyone can agree with. Maybe we can agree to disagree or, barring that, we can use the word "expression" instead?

August 27, 2013, 05:47:46 AM
Or perhaps people can move towards other people's views a bit more around here, if they seem the most rational, parsimonious, common-sensical.

I think we would be hard-pressed to find one example of humanity using the word 'meaning' to mean 'what something does'. Meaning is intimately bound up in subjectivity, no?

Anyway, that's my two cents worth on this topic.