Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Head in the clouds

Head in the clouds
August 26, 2013, 02:28:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL9HXNQmBIg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPV_N0aHztY

Clouds sped up show you what most people wouldn't notice.
Imagine what could be noticed if the mind could slow down a little.

Re: Head in the clouds
August 26, 2013, 02:49:56 AM
This is the generally-unknown key to martial-arts.
Technique can only take you so far.
Empty the mind, think no thoughts, process nothing, and physical assaults slow enough to be easily turned aside.
The one who can do this, at will, lives with an immediacy known to none, while appearing, to others, to be slowed-down.
His movements, when he chooses to move, are too fast to see.
He never looks away.
Squawk!

August 28, 2013, 08:36:58 AM
I have experienced such a state a few times, spontaneously. The world slows down and so does my movements. My consciousness withdraws to a space where thoughts cannot come, and I sense everything, every movement in reality from a thousand miles away.

In other words: I know what's going to happen long before I could possibly 'know' it in any ordinary sense of the word.

Something like this is also, in a way, what seperates the great philosophers from the ordinary ones, though in quite different, perhaps thoughtful way: The true philosopher are always a thousand thoughts ahead of what he is actually saying at any given time. He already knows what's to be said for and against every word, every phrase - and from this immediate knowledge of what's to come, the infinite for's and against's, he chooses the exact words that he does.

He isn't blinded by what's to be said for his words, nor is he discouraged by what's to be said against. He just knows the balance.

Which is why true philosophy has such longevity. Plato never gets old, for example.

August 28, 2013, 04:05:58 PM
This is Zen.
Those who do not know it can not conceive of it.
Those who do, barely acknowledge it, when it becomes so transparently natural.

Squawk!

August 28, 2013, 11:27:56 PM
It's different than falling asleep where the body and mind can still be tense or anxious.
This is completely letting go.
It's the best feeling. 

August 29, 2013, 02:00:19 PM
It's not only the best feeling - it's the only feeling. There is that and then there is distraction.

August 29, 2013, 04:57:54 PM
It's a strange concept, this distraction.
I know it, but don't know it. Not any more.
I remember it, sort-of, as an unconscious drifting away from the present.
Like an ocean liner, at a dock, with cast-off mooring lines.
But I don't seem able to do it, now.

I had a moment, in the height of summer, shooting arrow after arrow into the bull of my target.
I might as well have been placing beans in a can, on a table, in front of me. I couldn't miss.
As if that intervening fifty yards was only inches.
Squawk!

August 29, 2013, 05:43:52 PM
Distraction is a sort of internal panic, or mild anxiety: The mind doesn't know what it is doing, and starts to waver, desperately looking for alternatives. It starts 'doing something that it isn't really doing'.

When the mind can't stay with itself, it cannot do what it's supposed to do, namely identify everything else as that, which everything else is. All becomes mixed up. The distracted person cannot tell the difference between the world, and perception of the world. 

I don't know why this is so, but I do know this: Everybody knows the feeling, but not all are able to cope with it. For some, it ends up consuming their entire life. Others are able to overcome it.

I can't remember the last time I've been bored - but it was probably in the company of someone who was distracted in one way or the other.

August 29, 2013, 06:14:10 PM
Hold that image and develop it!
I call thoughts like that 'mackerels'. Slippery, and difficult to hold.
Squawk!

August 29, 2013, 06:46:53 PM
Physical violence between humans is a wonderful thing. Two hyper-complex systems meteing out extremely refined energy trades, establishing patterns and destroying them in instants.

First; know that I don't pick fights with strangers because I enjoy hurting people; I fight friends only because there is purity in inflicting pain on someone that you have no ill will toward. It is a different kind of fight; the only goal is the only reward; it is a microcosm in which conflict is god.

Training helps tremendously if you want to win a fight; basic reactions are delegated to automatic responses so your conscious thoughts can focus on prioritizing future reactions. But, none of that is as useful as achieving that non-thought state. My mind is a filing cabinet; it becomes a river. All passes through me as I pass through it. Fear disappears; there is no concern for my own safety because I 'know' with near-prescient precision where my body needs to be now, and later. It is so good that the feeling transcends joy and love. It is necessity embodied in *myself*. If I could "turn on" this state of non-thought at will, I could be a superhuman.

But, I have to engage in something as intense as a fight (sometimes a chess game will do it, sometimes racing my car gets me there) to enter that state. I am interested in learning methods less strenuous because there are many moments in every day waking life (playing music comes to mind) during which the ability to 'turn on' the non-thought state would make everything go so much more smoothly.

August 29, 2013, 07:23:06 PM
Wringing every last erg of performance from a motorcycle on a twisty road is a good substitute.
Your life in your hands. 
Possibly fatal, though.
Squawk!

August 29, 2013, 07:29:54 PM
The greater chance of danger, the better, I think.

I drive my car like a bastard but that doesn't do much for me anymore. Right now I'm negotiating with a guy who has a 900 cc Honda from the '80s. Hopefully that works out.

August 29, 2013, 08:50:57 PM
Whoa! CB900F? That would do it.
Squawk!

August 29, 2013, 08:55:38 PM
I cannot imagine constantly wanting external stimulation like that. This really sounds like something one could channel into music though.

August 29, 2013, 09:14:16 PM
If I could achieve that no-think state without external stimulation, I would, but that's what confounds me; I can't.

As far as I can tell, the ingredients include adreneline, increased heart rate, and high risk. I have to activate parts of brain that want rewarded even though the reward is intangible - just surviving will do, thanks. Taking a lot of drugs at once has gotten me close but my motor functions are so impaired at that point that it's useless.

Maybe I should try meditation or something... When I'm older.