Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Tattoos

Re: Tattoos
September 01, 2013, 04:12:39 PM
It is only ugly if you compare it to a standard.

There are places where piercings and tattoos are considered standard; you are less attractive without them.

It is a novelty in places like the US though. That's the only reason Suicide Girls ever got anywhere. (If you don't know what Suicide Girls means, then you aren't missing out on anything.)

September 01, 2013, 08:08:13 PM
...it is certainly out of place on such a magnificent edifice as the human body. No matter what design is inked on, it will remain inferior to what lies underneath. Something few appreciate because of its ordinariness to us.

Ink is roughly as out of place as scar tissue, tanning, wrinkles, or any of the other incidental things that may end up marking a body through its lifespan.

And there's nothing intrinsically magnificent, beautiful or superior about the design of the human body, any more than there is something intrinsically magnificent, beautiful or superior its byproducts, i.e, feces, sweat, urine. As another user pointed out, it's just as easy to view the body as a disgusting mess as it is to view it as a sublime work of engineering. Either viewpoint tells us much more about the mind of the viewer than it does the object beheld.

September 01, 2013, 08:50:43 PM
Yes, that is mostly a rationalization of my own position rather than some sort of argument against tattoos. Imagine a tattoo on a tree for instance, maybe that explains it better.

September 02, 2013, 12:28:58 AM
A tattoo to me is like something etched on to say, a pristine natural landscape. No matter how tasteful it is, it wears on the senses like an alien thing. So no, and no.

This is amusing to me, coming from a user calling himself trystero. I have the muted post-horn tattooed on my arm.  :)

Tattoos aren't too bad, but with everything these days, everyone goes overboard with them. I only have the one. It can be seen when I wear short-sleeves, but it's fairly innocuous. It took me almost two years to finally decide to get it. For most other people though, it seems as soon as they get the idea for one, they make the appointment immediately. I know a guy with a ridiculous sleeve tattoo, including a koi fish on his forearm, a lobster with a crown on the underside of his forearm, and on his bicep/shoulder he has an octopus wearing a top-hat and a monocle. I just don't get that. Most people are acting out or trying to be "unique" when they get in to that territory.

Tradiddle: I think you've just had really shitty luck. My mom has around seven or eight tattoos (entirely too many for a fifty year-old woman, but anyway) and they all look very good, including her portrait tattoo. Most artists can't do portrait tattoos, and when they do they're awful. Her's looks pristine though. She's had a different artist for nearly each one as well, and only had a problem with one of them. You definitely ran into the wrong people. Especially the guy who got pissed because you were talking to him. I talked to my tattoo artist the entire time she was working and she didn't have the slightest problem. Sounds like that guy was just awful and he needed an excuse.

September 02, 2013, 03:27:21 AM
The Vader song was better than the book.

NHA

September 03, 2013, 08:57:16 AM
Imagine a tattoo on a tree for instance, maybe that explains it better.

Although technically i guess that counts as scarification.

September 03, 2013, 12:33:56 PM
Desecration.
Liberalism is moral syphilis.

- Jonathan Bowden

September 09, 2013, 12:37:42 PM
I myself have no tattoos,yet, but I can understand why to get one. Maybe it's a life lesson you learnt that you never want to forget, something that has symbolic value or just something that looks brutal...whatever reason people get tattoos I don't care, all that matters is that each time you do get a tattoo you're saying, "f*** you God! and sealing your afterlife with the Father of mankind. That scores an A+ in my books.
MetalJunkie999...

February 04, 2014, 04:14:09 PM
link

An amateur article (not by me) which I posted in another thread.

In 1993, mummified bodies dating from about 2500 years ago were discovered in burial mounds in the Pazyryk valley in the High Altai Mountains of western and southern Siberia. Among them were two warriors, a male and a female, who were intricately and beautifully tattooed. Their well preserved skins show a variety of fantastical and stylized animal motifs that resemble the motifs incorporated into their jewelry, utensils, felt-work and those found in their tombs. The tattoos cover their arms, legs and shoulders and are so refined and sophisticated that "only recently could their quality be equaled in Europe" (van Dinter 2005:28). There are representations of tigers, deer, snakes, mountain goats, sheep and fish as well as mythical creatures. Analysis of the depth of the tattoos suggests that the technique used to create them was the skin pricking technique as opposed to the sewing-in technique used by Siberian tribes and the Inuit. This might indicate that this particular tattoo culture was more influenced by indigenous Southeast Asian tattooing such as that done in Burma. The quality of the tattoos rivals that found in Burma at the time and the representation of real and mythical animals is also a common feature of traditional Burmese tattoo. If these tattoo cultures are related, then we can also guess at the possible purpose of these warrior tattoos. In Southeast Asia, tattoos were considered magical and were applied for protection and good fortune while hunting and fishing, the same might be true of these Pazyryk tattoos (van Dinter 2005:25-29). "No instruments specifically designed for tattooing were found, but the Pazyryks had extremely fine needles with which they did miniature embroidery, and these were undoubtedly used for tattooing" (2006 Tattoo History). The fact that tattoos were only found on two of the warriors in the burial mound suggests that they were indicators of a special status in that society and were probably given only to important individuals. The fact that both the male and the female mummy were tattooed and buried as warriors suggests that tattooing was more strongly tied to status and role than gender.

EDIT: More on Pazyryk
Yatsenko points out that Greek accounts of the period stress that “barbarians” in Eurasia never went nude or even semi-nude in public, so most of these tattoos would probably have never been seen by others. Why endure the long and painful process of getting such dramatic tattoos if they were always covered? “I think they were for magical protection,” says Yatsenko, whose favorite Pazyryk tattoos are abstract designs found on the hands of a man who was probably a shaman. “Those tattoos were probably his spiritual weapons.”

February 04, 2014, 04:21:27 PM
Reflecting on ancient tattoo use in Europe, and particularly the above Pazyryk art, I am reminded of the paintings in the Chauvet Cave in France.