Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

United States: World Babysitter

Re: United States: World Babysitter
September 01, 2013, 02:54:57 PM
Also my European and American friends, where exactly do you think the human fallout of these actions will end up? It wont be the neighbouring Arab states/Israel. No, you are all going to get some Syrian neighbours displaced out of a war-zone; traumatized, violent and aimless. Not that there is anything wrong with that, diversity is great!

*explosion*

September 01, 2013, 03:27:41 PM
Also my European and American friends, where exactly do you think the human fallout of these actions will end up? It wont be the neighbouring Arab states/Israel. No, you are all going to get some Syrian neighbours displaced out of a war-zone; traumatized, violent and aimless. Not that there is anything wrong with that, diversity is great!

*explosion*

Very true, this aspect often gets overlooked.

September 01, 2013, 04:08:57 PM
The motivations and risk/reward opportunities for the factions involved are still very vague to me.

I can apprehend the benefits to Israel and even appreciate their manipulation in this case./

I guess I am just baffled at how none of the leaders who make such decisions as, "Yes, bomb this complex or gas these civilians," are unaware of the impending consequences. Surely they are not blind to them?

Or should I not call you Shirley?

September 01, 2013, 07:19:55 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/01/obama-strike-syria-congress-kerry

The secretary of state stressed that President Obama had the right to take action "no matter what Congress does". He said he could "hear the complaints" about presidential abuse had Obama not gone to Congress, but that its backing would give any military action greater credibility: "We are stronger as a nation when we act together." But he added: "America intends to act."

Kerry reacted to the evident Syrian opposition disappointment by suggesting that Obama will not limit US involvement in the foreign civil war to cruise missile strikes tethered to chemical weapons. The administration "may even be able to provide greater support to the opposition", Kerry said. Obama began providing weapons to Syrian rebels after determining earlier this year that Assad had carried out a smaller-scale chemical attack.

September 01, 2013, 10:27:25 PM
So three heavyweights in the UK parliament recently put forward a suggestion about whether the UK, whose parliament has already said no to military intervention, should rethink this once the US Congress has deliberated and decided. I believe this would be the third time ministers made a decision on this topic if that could have gone through. It isnt happening, but I thought it might be interesting to look at who exactly would be so eager for Britain to have input here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23918915
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Howard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Rifkind
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_Ashdown

Rifkind in particular looks like something out of Nazi propaganda.

September 02, 2013, 03:43:11 PM
something in particular caught my attention, in this conversation or post, is that none of the great of this forum, shall appear before this news, will have no interest or just put one foot on the side so as not to intrude on the actions of the police of the world?

concerning my country, I just heard on the news, that if we faced a war product of these facts, the oil shortage will be in a week, which would cause us a big problem in our modern country, JA!

September 02, 2013, 03:46:08 PM
by the way, speaking of oil, they found a endless `` source'' in Spain.

September 03, 2013, 07:54:57 AM
When your society is crumbling from within you need enemies from without. The rest is just technicalities.

September 07, 2013, 02:41:12 AM
All liberal democracy ends up nanny state, politically correct and baby sitter inclined. Oddly, such coerced conformity and dependency, whether foreign or domestic policy isn't liberal or democratic however. Totalitarian humanism therefore is a more accurate term for our form of government throughout the contemporary West.

Yet contrast America against all the other totalitarian humanism states. America generally affords its citizens a higher degree of autonomy from the state. That may come at the price of its higher degree of foreign aggression compared to other western nation states. The pent up totalitarian impetus has to have an aggressive outlet in some direction whether inward, outward or both.

Other forms of totalitarianism simply failed to survive the 20th century competitive selection process that concluded the world wars within the West.

September 07, 2013, 10:07:43 AM
That's a brilliant observation! I've never thought of it like that.

The best form of totalitarianism is the one that'll do everything to convince you that it isn't the totalitarian system.

Like hipsterism: The best form of conformity is anti-conformity.

September 07, 2013, 01:46:06 PM
Good word scourge, that's some Art of War shit right there.

Do you have any insight on what sort of tensions within a country/state could swing the balance of coercive control inward or outward? You mention that the United State offers a higher degree of autonomy to its citizens than do some other totalitarian states, so I'm wondering where that lever is that can push the state's power inward toward its citizens or outward toward foreign states and people.

NHA

September 07, 2013, 11:07:49 PM
Like hipsterism: The best form of conformity is anti-conformity.

Its the same bullshit in any (sub)culture, but Punks are the worst offenders by far.

See the lyrics to "Chickenshit Conformist" by Dead Kennedys from 1986. Shame the actual song sucks ass, ha.

Anyway, I don't get how the president talking to congress is supposed to add credibility. Oh look, the government is raising public support by talking to itself, great.

September 07, 2013, 11:44:37 PM
Does not the US have a long and storied history of being inimical towards middle eastern regimes with nationalized oil industries?

Exactly, it's all about oil. That is also where a lot of the US vs China/Russia thing comes in. We won't go to war but we will fight over oil.

This whole Syrian thing looks like a pissing contest so far, though. The EU is fubbling around, Putin hasn't made any real threats, and Obama sweats at the brow when he makes his claims on the podium.

This whole situation has everyone looking like a jackass.

September 08, 2013, 12:06:29 AM
The best form of totalitarianism is the one that'll do everything to convince you that it isn't the totalitarian system.

If only such a governmental system could be honest about what it is (of course, instantaneously ceasing to be what it is while tearing irreversible perforations in the very fabric of the space-time continuum).

September 08, 2013, 12:31:28 AM
Good word scourge, that's some Art of War shit right there.

Do you have any insight on what sort of tensions within a country/state could swing the balance of coercive control inward or outward? You mention that the United State offers a higher degree of autonomy to its citizens than do some other totalitarian states, so I'm wondering where that lever is that can push the state's power inward toward its citizens or outward toward foreign states and people.

The real face of liberal democracy is found in some of the published work put forth by various new right and constitutional conservative scholars. Predictably, very little is likely to be found in any accredited coursework in our open minded academies.

To answer the question, the US Constitution may deflect some of the coercion outward. But, paraphrasing more new right thought, in order to truly measure the degree of liberty present in a given state, you really have to examine its criminal code more than its constitution.