Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Flatline

Flatline
September 03, 2013, 08:15:33 AM
For a moment there, [our protagonist] thought he was onto something. He could see things clearly and had a healthy concept of where he fits into it all. Creative ideas came with a rush and a roar, but then expanded beyond the point of him having any ability to act on them. He recalled observing similar effects in emotions, which, when left unchecked, grow and diverge to a point where they drown out the spirit and it effectively dies.

I honestly feel better when happy and sad donít come into the equation. But even this state of non-emotion seems short lived. Is transcendence even possible or are we just riding the storm winds of continuous flux that is life in the modern world?

Re: Flatline
September 03, 2013, 08:37:58 AM
Transcendence is indeed possible - but it doesn't make as much noise as emotions like happy and sad.

In the long run, happy and sad evens out. Laugh now, cry later, or cry now, laugh later - it's the same. As one of my favorite poets wrote: 'Excess of sorrow laughs - excess of joy weeps'.

Sorrow is only bad if you insist on happiness being good. By calling happiness good, you chain your joy, your good to certain tangible things - that, which happiness makes you feel - and sorrow naturally emerges when these things come to an end. It's an addiction.

When we give up on emotions like happy and sad, then joy is set free. It is just something that is there. When we see this clearly, we can follow it around. Suddenly joy appears in the strangest of places - places you wouldn't even consider, back when your mind was preoccupied with the happy-sad-duality.

Happiness: Joy chained to an object, or a certain combination of things.
Bliss: Joy without object, but as something living, breathing, being. Spirit.

September 03, 2013, 06:54:45 PM
Indeed. Bliss is something that sounds a bit vapid, and few have any real notion of what it might be.
My experience of bliss is a state beyond happiness: one that has no addictive nature, no overtones, no aftertaste.
It is, to all intents, transparent, in that it does not get in the way of experience.
One simply becomes whatever one is experiencing.
Like a crow, by a pond.

September 05, 2013, 09:16:29 AM
I am smiling as I write this:

You must become as little children to enter the kingdom of heaven.

This may seem absurd on a metal-board. What am I trying to prove?

Nothing. I am simply trying to explain the mysterious genesis of my smile.

Bliss is this. And it is growing day by day.

September 05, 2013, 01:41:33 PM
Transcendent bliss aside, I am generally an unemotional person. I experience emotion but it is more of something that sort of slides through my mind, like thoughts of sex or hunger.

People complain that I am hard to talk to because my face is usually "expressionless". Evidently people are threatened by me because of that. It's as if they fear trying to communicate with someone whose thoughts are so "obscured". I say, though, that they are the ones who obscure their thoughts with gestures, drama, memes, and emotive reactions. It is necessary to read between their lines constantly, almost like they take refuge in ambiguity. Meanwhile I try to communicate with just words; I avoid undertones and emphasis when possible so that no one can question my meaning; the words say what I say and vice versa.

Does anyone else deal with this? I'll pre-empt the "asspie" diagnosis by saying yeah, probably.

September 05, 2013, 04:28:34 PM
That is so familiar I might have written it myself.
I scare the crap out of most people, just be being neutrally calm and balanced.
While a very few are stimulated by this thing that few of them have ever seen.

Ambiguity is a good word to describe what passes for communication by the many.
People have, themselves, become defined by their ambiguity.
Knowing nothing of who one is, must lead to such a state.

I am usually viewed with suspicion.

September 07, 2013, 10:04:11 AM
Many people build their entire identity on emotions. It's neurotic: They identify their very being with transient states. And they are suspicious of those who don't.

If you aren't one of them, then you are one of the blessed ones.

Emotions may 'feel' nice, but being guided by them will make your life hell.

September 07, 2013, 04:47:35 PM
We got us a swell discussion going here.
Who would have guessed it could happen?
And on a deathmetal site  ;)

September 09, 2013, 12:48:51 AM
Sometimes, if your looking for some sanity, you have to look the strangest, seemingly most unlikely places.

I'm just glad to know that sanity actually exists out there.

Hell - we're even talking about it now. Wonders of wonders :)