Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Spirituality can not be explained.

Spirituality can not be explained.
September 07, 2013, 07:49:00 PM
Spirituality can not be explained. It can only be experienced.
To attempt to explain it removes its essence, so the explanation becomes about something that no longer is what it was, before the explanation.
The best one can do is describe spirituality after experiencing it.
And even that is only a pale skeleton of what it really is.

How to experience spirituality?
The only way I know of, to gain a first glimpse upon which to build, is meditation.
This is a solo thing, which is what spirituality is about. Starting with aloneness, to flower into being everything. It is never, ever, a display involving others.

Spirituality can not be explained. But if you chance to discover it, you'll immediately know what it is.

Re: Spirituality can not be explained.
September 08, 2013, 12:15:40 AM
First I must ask: What would you demand from an explanation to have "passed the test" of explaining spirituality?

I imagine that all experiences lose some of their "essence" if we try to explain them, in the sense that words simply are not the same as these experiences.

The farthest we can go is to refer to other experiences that we know (or think we know) that people around us understand.

Does then the proposed impossibility of explaining spirituality imply that spirituality has no related/understandable experiences to refer to?

Or do we simply revere the experience itself so much that we feel an incomplete explanation would "dilute" it or be worthless?

September 08, 2013, 12:39:04 AM
I would demand nothing. Like I said: it can't be done.
Nobody that hasn't yet realized the spiritual, could 'understand' what it might be.
Spirituality is, by its nature, non-transferable. It may be described, but not directly shared.
Nothing can dilute it, however, or render it worthless.

The 'new age' movement has flooded the terrain with people acting spiritual.
But not knowing what spiritual is, the act is all you get. And all they get.
The real thing is so worth going for, that one persists, anyway, in mentioning it.
Not - as some claim - for point-scoring purposes, but because it is real, it exists, it is sublime, and almost nobody seems to know anything first-hand about it.

September 08, 2013, 02:28:19 AM
"The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named is not the eternal name
The nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth
The named is the mother of myriad things

Thus, constantly free of desire
One observes its wonders
Constantly filled with desire
One observes its manifestations

These two emerge together but differ in name
The unity is said to be the mystery
Mystery of mysteries, the door to all wonders"

September 08, 2013, 02:30:20 AM
Lao Tzu knew his stuff.

September 08, 2013, 02:05:11 PM
Explaining = democratization = "deconstruct this so I can project my neurosis into it."

September 09, 2013, 12:43:06 AM
Spirituality has everything to do with actions, and almost nothing to do with words.

You walk down a certain path, and on your way, your eyes will be opened to all sorts of wonderous and subtle aspects of reality, that really can't be talked about, unless your speaking with someone truly walking a spiritual path themself.

Eyes only open if you dedicate yourself seriously to the task at hand, however - which mean valuing certain things, that cannot be readily explained to others infinitely higher than things that can.

Since most people reflect their entire being in how they appear in the eyes of others, they'll never be able to see any worth in the spirit.

To all the 'normal people' out their, the truly spiritual is less than nothing. They haven't the faintest idea what it is even about. They cannot even begin to fathom the wonders of reality - how beautiful it is from the other side.

When you see what's not you, through your own eyes, instead of trying to see yourself through the eyes of others.

September 10, 2013, 05:24:14 PM
What kind of meditation??

September 10, 2013, 05:47:18 PM
What kind of meditation??

Well, there is meditation, and then there is all the other crap people call meditation.
Meditation involves sitting very still, emptying the mind, and slowing breathing, until the you is no longer present.
Removal of identity.
Eliminate that, and reality starts to fill the gap.
With total identity removal, comes enlightenment.

September 10, 2013, 06:47:16 PM
Like a soft trance?

September 10, 2013, 06:59:12 PM
You can call it whatever you like.
But it is not like anything else: it is what it is, and nothing else is like it.
What else removes one's identity, other than death?
This sense of identity is what prevents people from interacting directly with reality.
It may be useful, sometimes, to have an identity, but only in social settings.
For those whose whole existence is about the social, identity is everything, and the loss of it seems terrifying.
But for those who are interested in actually being alive while living, nothing else will do.

Meditation is a way to get somewhere.
When you get there, there is no further need to do it.
You will have become alive.

September 10, 2013, 07:58:50 PM
I've spent uncountable hours in meditation the last seven years or so. When I had the time and space I could easily spend an entire day with my breathing, my time and my space, emptying my mind.

For some time, I thought I wasn't getting anywhere. Then I realized that there was nowhere else to go.

I've done a good deal of psychedelics. I've smoked a fair share of weed. But nothing has expanded my mind and enriched my life like meditation.

September 10, 2013, 08:06:32 PM
You are right. The highest high a human may experience, is achieved with only air.