Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Unintentional metaphors for modernity

Unintentional metaphors for modernity
September 08, 2013, 01:59:33 PM
A virus can't discriminate
It kills all it infects
And for those who have survived
There isn't much left

It reaches out in the night
Preying on its victims
No way to survive
You'll die of the plague

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/nuclearassault/gameover.html#18

Re: Unintentional metaphors for modernity
September 08, 2013, 07:39:15 PM
We could use a good old fashioned plague.

September 08, 2013, 08:11:24 PM
The old-fashioned ones don't work so well any more.
Look at how many people get Bubonic Plague and live.
I myself had Typhoid Fever and made it (barely).
Still, with antibiotics being haXX0red more and more by clever bugs, who knows?

September 08, 2013, 09:45:12 PM
Unnatural humanoids proud to be one of their kind
Unique imperfections bent for revenge on the world
Plotting to turn all mankind into creatures obscene
You shall be next to be transformed into one of them
...Pray for your death!

You will obey the code of the freaks
You'll help their cause till the world is one
You love the freaks - you are a freak
Long Live The Freaks!

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/rigormortis/freaks.html#1

September 08, 2013, 11:17:15 PM
Actually, and ironically, the world is all one.
And it goes far beyond the world.
But leftists are unable to understand how this is so, even though they claim it as their own idea.
They can not bear anything to be what anything is, without their screwing with it to make it so.

I've often observed that there is a lot of truth in leftist slogans.
But leftists don't understand those truths, and never will.

September 09, 2013, 02:17:10 AM
Death and destruction rule on this planet
you know life is valid for a limited time
You live with the idea to die
there's no fucking chance for mercy

Survive to die
Survive to die
Survive to die

You take advantage of every moment
cause death hits without exception
There is no challenge? cause we always loose
Why don't you stop living??

Survive to die
Survive to die
Survive to die

No prospect of reprieve
when your time is over
Your destiny follows you like your shadow
Future plans and projects, just a waste of time
Our solution is to live day by day
Hazard seems to be more fair this way.

Survive to die
Survive to die
Survive to die

September 09, 2013, 03:07:16 AM
Future plans and projects, just a waste of time
Our solution is to live day by day

You realize, I hope, that this is a load of bull.
It is the creating of things, over time, that fleshes out life, and the living of it.
Depression, even to the point of suicide, is the alternative.

Living 'day by day' is fine, if you understand what that means. But too many don't.
Living with neither hope, nor desire, is to be commended.
While ignoring any consequences is not.

September 09, 2013, 12:43:36 PM
Whether someone chooses hedonism (live "day to day", consequences be damned) or some other stance (traditionalism) after achieving acceptance of nihilism, we should be aware of the implications in criticizing their choice.

Achieving acceptance of nihilism means to recognize the lack of intrinsic value in all things. This has to be accepted on the most universal level and you can get there by focusing on the mighty fact that nothing is eternal, not even the universe.

The choices that someone makes after they recognize this crucial mechanic of the universe will be altered from what they might have chosen before they approached this fact.

The good news is, they can set up their own value system and still have values and goals. There is no need too wallow in nihilism after you've approached it once. It makes a person miserable to do this most of the time.

But, it is strange for someone else who has apprehended the meaning of nihilism to criticize any of their choices after that because both persons must recognize that values are arbitrary. In this case, insisting on values inherent in basic reality is a little bit solipsistic.

Crow will diagree with me by saying values are only applied through the ego"s interaction with external phenomena (and I use that term to describe ego-experience rather than pure sensing of reality) but I will (fruitlessly) insist that he still places value on his life and home and so from a purely universal standpoinmt that does not involve organisms and survival, the value of his life and home are arbitrary (although not to us, of course).

September 09, 2013, 03:24:11 PM
When I was young, I couldn't see life as having much value, if any.
Then again, my life at that time was so lacking in quality, that this view was hardly surprising.
But...
I didn't write life off as being worthless. I realized that if there was any meaning or purpose to it, it was going to take some finding. And so I set out, in no particular hurry, to discover its meaning, if indeed there was one.
Some forty years later, I was satisfied that there was plenty of meaning to it, along with plenty of enjoyment. 

That an individual is unable to see something for what it is, does not mean that something is nothing.
It means there is a lack in the individual.
Youth is lack of many things, but most of all, it is a lack of experience.
To compare something to something else, there must be a something else to compare to.
Experience provides comparisons.

If your life is shit, you might ask yourself: "compared to what?"
Sooner or later you'll discover that there are varying degrees of shit, and possibly that what you thought, today, was shit, was the richest of compost, suitable for growing mighty trees from.

I have little patience, or respect, for those who deem life as worthless, and void of value.
Because I know better. It is whatever you allow it to be, contingent upon your ability to recognize how little you know of anything, until you do.

September 09, 2013, 09:31:40 PM
I won't argue the existence if value. It is like arguing the existence of a god.

I do insist that value is arbitrarily applied and not innate. Planets and stars do not determine value. Things just occur and that's the end of it.

When the Serpent in the Garden of Eden told Eve that, if she ate the fruit from the Tree of Life, "Ye shall be as gods," he was talking about the ability to arbitrarily apply value and cast judgment on the worthiness of things. Through that power humans have shaped their world, and may even shape more.

But where is value without the human mind to apply it? It is not immanent.

Still, I recognize the pointlesness of my point; how dare I, a human, argue for the sake of all non-humanity?

September 09, 2013, 09:43:53 PM
The human is just one of many vessels by which life experiences itself. The fact that there is any impetus to find value at all is evidence enough that value is an innate property. Value is recognized by observing hierarchies. That which is closest to its own essence is the most beautiful instance.

September 09, 2013, 09:56:56 PM
For arbitrary reasons, I think you are incorrect. Humans have a drive to find love; they achieve something similar by having sex and spending time with someone, but love never appears. Value is the same sort of thing. It is a completely cognitive construct that, at best, allows to translate the weird causal properties of our universe.

If the universe were devoid of any object except for one star, would there be light in the universe? Yes, but it would be unobservable; there would be no object to reflect the light and no photoreceptors to interpret the light but the photons would be cruising along nevertheless. That is not the same kind of thing as value. Value is intrinsically related to a biological organism's instinct to survive. Categorization is a most useful tool when trying to survive. If survival were unnecessary, value would be unnecessary as well.

September 09, 2013, 10:00:01 PM
It must be inconvenient for you, being a human.
Then again, it's probably inconvenient for most of us.

September 09, 2013, 10:06:24 PM
Being in a human body is inconvenient. I'm not a human. I'm a reaction.

September 09, 2013, 10:14:48 PM
Why are cognitive constructs unreal? Love is something which is actually experienced. Conversely, equality is imagined, yet never experienced, actually, thus can be concluded as decisively unreal. If value is intrinsic to the survival of an organism, then it is experienced and it is real.