Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Unintentional metaphors for modernity

Re: Unintentional metaphors for modernity
September 14, 2013, 01:17:09 AM
I mean to tell you that your comment amused me.
Hard to explain it, really. I either know something, or don't bother with it at all. I simply don't deal in theory.
The last line is what did it:
"The nihilist won't see it like that, but we can ignore their perceptions for now".
Whether you see it, or not, that is really funny.

September 14, 2013, 03:27:43 AM
There are people in the world who get my humor. I can count them on both hands. You've earned a finger.

And my mom told me I could be a comedian!

September 14, 2013, 03:51:27 AM
We are speaking of nihilism from an outside perspective

Who's "we"?

and we make judgments on values and morals. To us, a nihilist will do things that we find morally objectionable, even if they do not comprehend that judgment.

I don't make judgments on morals. In fact I find morality to be meaningless because it assumes a type of "goodness" or "evilness" present within actions.

Values can be judged and I see no reason why a nihilist would not do so. He simply realizes that they are based on preference.

I don't think Marxists and humanists are "evil". I simply acknowledge that their preferences are in opposition to mine and the type of civilization I want to inhabit.

So, we can say that because a nihilist is not good, he must be evil, because as darkness is absence of light, evil is absence of good, and isn't necessarily (or rarely ever, actually) the choice of the individual for the sake of committing evil.

You could say he's beyond good and evil.

September 15, 2013, 09:25:22 PM
Nihilism is about seeing for yourself what it's all about - if all can even said to be about something.

Therefore, it makes little sense to say what a true nihilist would or wouldn't do, say, think or believe.

He'll do, say, think or believe anything, if that what it's about - and he'll discard it if it isn't.