Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Morbid Angel > Incantation

Morbid Angel > Incantation
September 08, 2013, 11:25:40 PM
Incantation is like a foundation

Morbid Angel is like a foundation and structure.

Comparing the first 3 releases by both.

8)

Re: Morbid Angel > Incantation
September 09, 2013, 02:02:28 AM
Incantation's first 3 < Morbid Angel's first 3

but

Onward to Golgotha > Any Morbid Angel album

September 09, 2013, 04:34:21 PM
Thread ended with one post, impressive forum technique, 9.5/10

September 09, 2013, 08:11:29 PM
Put in chronological order, the second Morbid Angel beats out the second Incantation album. Otherwise, match for match, Incantation wins the day. Incantation always struck me as the more mature, artistically speaking in relation to death metal, of the two bands.

September 16, 2013, 01:44:24 AM
Objectively they are easily on par with one and other, though subjectively I prefer Incantation. I would probably agree that Morbid Angel had a bit more in the way of album structure as well as building on consecutive albums. Though I like how Incantation started doing the doom-styled songs to close the album.

September 21, 2013, 06:51:50 AM
I couldn't even begin to compare them. I've never gotten what's the big deal with Incantation, most of their music sounds like undistinguished slop to my ears. The first three Morbid Angel albums are among the greatest death metal releases of all time (even though they fell the fuck off right afterward)and so far beyond what Incantation was doing it's not even funny.

September 21, 2013, 01:01:39 PM
Sounds like someone needs to sit down with the first Incantation for a week or two in a dark room.

September 22, 2013, 07:16:01 AM
Morbid Ange >> Incantation

For various reasons:
If you take the first 3 albums.
If you take the albums on by one.
If you consider the impact on the scene and genre (Both on a musical and success point of view)

Incantation is good, but it's not the same

September 22, 2013, 03:20:24 PM
Onward to Golgotha and Blessed are the Sick are both phenomenal releases but they are two completely different interpretations of the death metal genre.  I couldn't really say which is superior in an absolute sense. 

As far as the rest of their work is concerned, I think Incantation have been more consistent.

September 23, 2013, 12:50:33 PM
Incantation have been more consistent. But, we could credit MA for being more ambitious (if a bit misguided at times).

I'm never NOT in a mindstate to listen to Incantation but MA has put out some very boring albums since the first two. "Formulas" is actually one of my favorites from them, just to illustrate the inconsistency I'm talking about. It might as well have been released by a different band than released "Altars" and "Blessed".

September 24, 2013, 12:08:44 AM
Somehow MA always seem like early innovators whereas Incantation is the fully formed result of that innovation. I doubt if this is 100% accurate but I prefer them purely for this fully formed guttural style they play. A lot of the MA riffs sounds kind of speed of thrash inspired whereas Incantation is just plain old death metal. To be honest I'd probably even take Autopsy, Gorguts, or Demilich over early Morbid Angel. They're all on par, it's just the sound/style I connect with.