Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

David Lynch

David Lynch
September 09, 2013, 01:49:42 AM
Others here who dig the works of David Lynch as much as I do?

Most movies are junk in general, but he has really managed to do something interesting with the medium.

A guiding theme in his work is the nature of reality as being beyond good and evil.

Much like metal does in the aural medium, he infuses his work with a sort of visual distortion, which is then used as raw material for the shaping of expansive structures, that illustrate a process that moves and breathes underneath the immediately obvious: Through deconstruction of traditional storytelling and popcultural symbolism, he reaches towards pure mood, which is then applied as means towards the end of subconscious communication.

In Blue Velvet we follow a young man who sets out on a journey through the darkness of desire to discover a meaning that transcends the boredom of surburban life. Opening scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvxuhzVl8Ys

In the TV-series Twin Peaks he explores the subject of the 'hidden face'; Almost every character is two-faced, acting out of motives that obscure their true being, symbolically represented by the character of Laura Palmer, the beautyqueen, who maybe wasn't as nice and innocent as everybody thought, who is almost metaphysically omnipresent throughout the whole series, even though it she is and remains physically dead from start to finish. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3sjAq021I8 (don't know why it's in black and white).

In his newest, Inland Empire, he went for pure subconcious communication through manipulation of symbols, dropping the traditional storyline entirely. A lot of people thought it was too much, but I found it brilliant - moving even, in a way I can't really explain. Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKi4Y5zl5qU

Any opinions on this director?

Re: David Lynch
September 09, 2013, 12:57:59 PM
When I was a teenager I got into playing Silent Hill and, through a little reading, found out that much of the industrial feel of the game's environments was inspired a lot by Eraserhead. So I watched Eraserhead, was underwhelmed by the lack of plot development (as a teenager my analytical skills and critical judgment were very lax), but I watched it again later in my 20s and I still don't know what to think of it.

It's nonstandard as a movie in that it sets one goal and exceeds; the mood of claustrophobic dread is palpable. There is very little in the characters to empathize with the viewer. There is some kind of build-up in tension but the release is not a cathartic one; it's when you realize that you had good reason to be nervous about what was going to come of the main characters' relationship. It has been a few years so I will watch it again soon and see what happens.

I also have had a copy of Inland Empire sitting around waiting to be watched for about a year now. I think I will check it out tonight.

September 09, 2013, 04:21:51 PM
I think Mulholland Drive is one of the best movies I've ever watched. Lynch even did a collection of hints to understand what it's all about. I love the atmosphere. Great stuff.
You're quite hostile.

I got a right to be hostile, man, my people been persecuted!

September 09, 2013, 09:22:42 PM
So what is the correct way to interpret Mullholland drive? Please  tell me I need to know!

September 09, 2013, 10:48:18 PM
Mullholland Drive can be explained and pieced together as a coherent story.

I'll give you this clue: Hollywood is a dreamworld, for those who wish nothing but to escape the real world. That's what it's essentially about.

I pretty much agree on Eraserhead - I remember it as an interesting experiment, but not as interesting as his latter work. It's been a long time since I've seen it though. I would say that that movie, along Inland Empire are the toughest ones to start with for someone new to Lynch's work.

Blue Velvet is the best one to start with, and perhaps his greatest achievement - it pretty much sums up all that Lynch is about.

September 11, 2013, 01:09:40 AM
Blue Velvet is great. Eraserhead is more atmospheric but not as captivating on the whole. Elephant Man is about the only thing Lynch ever made that even closely resembles conventional cinema narrative. I haven't yet seen his later works.