Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The secret

Re: The secret
September 11, 2013, 07:44:06 PM
It is the writer of the story you might be more concerned about, and the rather obvious fact that it is not a depiction of actual events.

September 11, 2013, 09:21:02 PM
I am not concerned whether the events acrually took place; if the story is told then I expect someone is trying to get me to see something more important than the events anyway.

I just am not absorbing the conclusion that the master acts out of spite. Such behavior seems totally incongruent with the characters and events. The text even states that they are "friends".

September 11, 2013, 09:40:55 PM
Spite ? ? ?
Where did that come from?

September 11, 2013, 10:10:09 PM
Spite comes from the same place as cruelty and the desire to dominate those weaker than oneself, I think.

Was I misunderstanding when you said that the inherent danger in the master/student relationship was the chance of the master enjoying domination over his "weaker" students? Because it's becoming apparent that I've misread you somewhere along the line. I don't know why else, in this case, the master would tell his student to do something so dangerous, if he is not trying to help the student, other than to gleefully torment the student. I guess that is not necessarily spiteful but you can insert your own synonym as needed.

September 11, 2013, 10:14:28 PM
Misguided, might be a good synonym, here.
Viewing oneself as a 'master' is replete with potential dangers such as this.
As is viewing anyone else as a 'master'.
Yet masters exist, and manifest mastery. The necessary key ingredient of which is responsibility.
Telling anyone to hang by their teeth over a chasm, no matter the reason, is hardly responsible.

September 11, 2013, 10:28:10 PM
Most dictators are said to be loved by their people in the beginning - and I don't think it too unlikely that many dictators actually act out of a great sense of duty and responsibility towards their subjects. - That they also act out of a kind of love for their people.

For all we know, this peculiar form of mutual love may persist for most, or even the whole of a dictatorship. At least in the minds of the dictator and his loyal supporters. Who knows?

Yet most dictatorships still end up in bloodshed, war and misery.

September 12, 2013, 12:38:33 AM
When I posted this little story, I hadn't thought of the implications of the master/student, that it would be irresponsible for him to tell the student to hang over a cliff. It made sense to me on a metaphorical level. It's hard to tell in words. I'm maybe too used to see the world throught symbols and/or fantasy. Hell, I'm fan of mythology, fantasy like tolkien and metal like Burzum and Summoning. Maybe I'm stuck in my fantasy world, lost in a dream. But for me, the reality cannot be ''seen''. It's kind of invisible in a way. But my artistic/irrational side likes to put easthetic over reality. I don't know if that's a 'sin' but that's the way I am. Sometimes I fight my ''right'' to be lost in mythic imagination.

In a way, I think the manifestation of life is brought by the interaction or the friction  between fantasy/dreamland and the Mystery.

September 12, 2013, 09:34:45 AM
Yet most dictatorships still end up in bloodshed, war and misery.

Only for the last few decades can you say that is true, and all of those dictatorships had a shared ideological bent. I dont think France was worse off for Napoleon, or Babylon for Hammurabi.

September 16, 2013, 12:57:12 AM
When I posted this little story, I hadn't thought of the implications of the master/student, that it would be irresponsible for him to tell the student to hang over a cliff. It made sense to me on a metaphorical level. It's hard to tell in words.

Agree. My primary interpretation is that the secret by its very nature cannot be spoken of, lest it ceases to be a secret. I have faith in the master that no real harm would come of this lesson.

September 16, 2013, 01:05:37 AM