Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Man cave

Man cave
September 14, 2013, 02:44:50 AM
Mouse hole:

A room, space, corner or area of a dwelling that is specifically reserved for a male person to be in a solitary condition, away from the rest of the household in order to work, play, involve himself in certain hobbies, activities without interuption. This area is usually decorated by the male that uses it without interferance from any female influence.

Tom retreated to the Man Cave to play his online rpg game.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=man%20cave

What feminist baby boomer came up with this? Instead, step outside. Everything under the sun is man cave.

Re: Man cave
September 16, 2013, 12:42:09 AM
The rift between institutionalised gender roles and the compensatory mechanisms of feminism can be hilarious in these times, when not thoroughly sickening.

September 16, 2013, 12:44:50 AM
Personally though I've found the best man cave is in a loving women.

September 16, 2013, 11:02:12 AM
Woman cave:
http://www.devinecolorblog.com/2011/02/is-there-such-a-thing-as-a-woman-cave-ok-man-cave-mybadpadcomlets-see-if-we-can-agree-on-the-definition-here.html

Anybody uses these terms should be locked in a real cave and have some wild animals thrown in for good measure.

NHA

September 16, 2013, 06:50:56 PM

Nah. Well assuming that isn't a vag joke, which if it is, i don't know why you would add loving.

Almost all males have a strong psychological need for freedom (that only comes from being alone), which has to be balanced against basic social needs. It usually manifests itself in cycles. A clingy female exacerbates the problem, and just makes the male more emotionally distant.

"Man cave" is just a meme spawned by this basic behavioral pattern. The underlying drive has nothing to do with the locale itself, the activities performed there, or feminism. Feminism is the resentful, "me too", victim sentiment expressed by the "Woman Cave" article, and the commenters below it.

Instead, step outside. Everything under the sun is man cave.
Inside, or outside, it makes no difference - as long as you don't have an endless parade of assholes interrupting your work jerkoff session.

September 17, 2013, 02:09:24 AM

Nah. Well assuming that isn't a vag joke, which if it is, i don't know why you would add loving.

Almost all males have a strong psychological need for freedom (that only comes from being alone), which has to be balanced against basic social needs. It usually manifests itself in cycles. A clingy female exacerbates the problem, and just makes the male more emotionally distant.

"Man cave" is just a meme spawned by this basic behavioral pattern. The underlying drive has nothing to do with the locale itself, the activities performed there, or feminism. Feminism is the resentful, "me too", victim sentiment expressed by the "Woman Cave" article, and the commenters below it.

You might be right. But what I mean to say is I've never been one to need my space, aside from away from the rest of  society in it's current state. It's for this same reason that I wouldn't eat rotting fruit either.

In the home environment I couldn't think of anything worse than sitting in the shed drinking beer or playing darts or whatever the mainstream interpretation/implication of a man in his mancave does.

September 17, 2013, 03:01:03 AM
Men have workrooms, offices, writing huts, gun shacks, smoking rooms, saunas, libraries and bunkers.

Modern manchildren have "man caves" which sounds like some obscene allusion to sodomy.

September 17, 2013, 11:03:05 PM
Men have workrooms, offices, writing huts, gun shacks, smoking rooms, saunas, libraries and bunkers.

Modern manchildren have "man caves" which sounds like some obscene allusion to sodomy.

I want a writing hut! I've never even heard of that.

Also, you forgot garages, workbenches, and backyards! Optionally a good craft beer bar too, but those are difficult to come by. Thankfully by my mother's house there's a real good one that I stop into sometimes when I visit her.

September 18, 2013, 04:55:21 PM

Also, you forgot garages, workbenches, and backyards! Optionally a good craft beer bar too, but those are difficult to come by. Thankfully by my mother's house there's a real good one that I stop into sometimes when I visit her.

Grieg had one. It seems like a fairly good idea if you want to seriously work on anything that requires a bit of introspection.

September 18, 2013, 05:04:15 PM
When you live in a forest, your whole house becomes a writing-hut.
Even so, I have been fixing up my power shed, to accommodate a cosy twin bed, a sumptuous carpet, a knee-chair, and a computer.
There are no windows, even!
I admit, though, that the wireless signal to and from my router, needs some serious amplification, if I can figure out how.

September 18, 2013, 11:48:59 PM

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/famous-small-offthegrid-worksp-140587

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/the-lure-of-the-writers-cabin/?_r=0

Sorry for the link to the Red Lady.

No problem, as a NY native I'm well aware and pretty much numb to the NYT's blatant liberal slant. The one you linked was far more tasteful, and quite interesting. I'm gonna read more on this stuff - I don't write that much, but it'd be useful to have a small shack to go and reflect. As Undermind said, it sounds like a great place to be introspective and work on things.

September 19, 2013, 03:07:18 AM
I guess I have a small studio with a few synths and sequencers.
Feels more like being in a mind-machine than a mancave.