Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

History question about Slayer's music style

History question about Slayer's music style
March 05, 2005, 04:07:35 PM
Do any bands or musicians predate Slayer's trademark discordant, chaotic solos of the 80's?  I'm curious because it's such a simple concept to play such solos within discordant, chaotic songs, and yet it still seems to have eluded an incredible amount of artists.  So does anybody know if they got the idea from any specific bands, or was it more of a natural evolution of their music?

black flag played chaotic solos from outta the middle of no-where, but i dont know if that what ur asking.

I'm sure their solo style was atleast influenced by hardcore/crustcore bands. Slayer say they were influenced by Discharge, and their guitar solos sound fairly random and sloppy too.

Annihilaytorr

In addition to the aforementioned, Venom was also a key stylistic influence.

KING CRIMSON
JADE WARRIOR

MOZART

LOL

prozak + boredom = trolling one's own forum :-/

Do any bands or musicians predate Slayer's trademark discordant, chaotic solos of the 80's?

No, because their stuff had a specific sound, an extensively lydian/mixo-lydian modality (I think), and was more extensive in use of phrase to convey change within the solos. Some bands that were close came out of the extremes of progressive rock, but their stuff was more tonal.

prozak + boredom = trolling one's own forum :-/

We may need to add, "drunk" in front of prozak.

Kerry King often praised early Judas Priest records and it obviously had an influence the he plays. I think the biggest influence on Slayer's solos is Judas Priest. Give "Unleashed In The East" a listen, you'll see.

Re: History question about Slayer's music style
October 11, 2007, 05:27:12 PM

No, because their stuff had a specific sound, an extensively lydian/mixo-lydian modality (I think), and was more extensive in use of phrase to convey change within the solos. Some bands that were close came out of the extremes of progressive rock, but their stuff was more tonal.

Slayer has no modality. Their music is atonal. There is nothing Lydian or Mixolydian about their music. These happen to be major scales. Yet another example of someone on the internet throwing out fancy words in order to appear knowledgeable.

"more extensive in use of phrase to convey change within the solos." What does this mean? I will answer myself. Nothing, it's pure gibberish.

I'm curious to know who are these bands that "came out of the extremes of progressive rock" with their tonal based music? ::)

October 11, 2007, 05:29:38 PM
Kerry King often praised early Judas Priest records and it obviously had an influence the he plays. I think the biggest influence on Slayer's solos is Judas Priest. Give "Unleashed In The East" a listen, you'll see.

The closest Kerry King comes to sounding like Judas Priest is whammy abuse a la K.K. Downing. It ends there. Glenn Tipton was/is a diatonic player unlike Jeff and Kerry.

October 11, 2007, 08:04:00 PM

Slayer has no modality. Their music is atonal. There is nothing Lydian or Mixolydian about their music. These happen to be major scales. Yet another example of someone on the internet throwing out fancy words in order to appear knowledgeable.

The majority of their riffs (at least, on the albums that matter) are chromatic, but yes, their solos are almost completely atonal.

October 11, 2007, 09:28:33 PM

"more extensive in use of phrase to convey change within the solos." What does this mean? I will answer myself. Nothing, it's pure gibberish.

I'm curious to know who are these bands that "came out of the extremes of progressive rock" with their tonal based music? ::)

Only Slayer's solos are atonal. There is no metal that is atonal, not even Gorguts (though they come close). As for the Priest thing, it should be obvious to anyone who actually listens in depth to both 70s Priest and 80s Slayer in depth. There was a video (guitar lesson) of Kerry King explaining how his work on Dead Skin Mask was based on something Priest used to do, but that seems to have been taken down.

October 12, 2007, 10:29:47 AM

The majority of their riffs (at least, on the albums that matter) are chromatic, but yes, their solos are almost completely atonal.

Chromaticism has no tonality. If I play the notes A, Bb, B, C, Db, D, what key am I in? None.

October 12, 2007, 10:32:58 AM
You can play a chromatic section which still has a tonal centre   ::)