Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

History question about Slayer's music style

Re: History question about Slayer's music style
October 20, 2007, 01:49:40 AM
Wow, this thread is impressive. I wont even try to add anything into that discussion.

But going back to the atonal discussion and soloing, wasn't Eddie Van Halen the first to pioneer atonal guitar solos in rock? Though I am unware if Slayer ever counted Van Halen as an influence.

Re: History question about Slayer's music style
October 28, 2007, 12:32:23 AM
But going back to the atonal discussion and soloing, wasn't Eddie Van Halen the first to pioneer atonal guitar solos in rock? Though I am unware if Slayer ever counted Van Halen as an influence.

Most people are going to point to free jazz or King Crimson for this. I don't know enough about Van Halen. I never got past the fluffy haired guy singing about his penis.

What Slayer did to my mind was bring the structure back into music. They sound like British heavy metal combined with the aggro-punk of the day, and it's from that latter that atonality (or: mixo-lydian, phrygian and lydian modes used in a chromatic context) figures into their music. The main interest is the structure that goes beyond verse-chorus and is what gives their music a powerful poetic quality that would not exist otherwise. This is descended from Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and other greats of that era, who inherited it from Black Sabbath and other prog-influenced bands including King Crimson.

I think it's unwise for us to understate the importance of Robert Fripp and Discharge in producing death metal. If only King Crimson and Discharge existed, the music might have evolved exactly as it has today.

Cats foot iron claw
Neuro-surgeons scream for more
At paranoias poison door.
Twenty first century schizoid man.

Blood rack barbed wire
Polititians funeral pyre
Innocents raped with napalm fire

Death seed blind mans greed
Poets starving children bleed
Nothing hes got he really needs