Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Different kinds of music and sound experimentation

Different kinds of music and sound experimentation
September 22, 2013, 01:17:25 PM
I'm just right now hearing a song on youtube, actually it is the full album of Psychic TV - Sugarmorphoses, but this particular song is already in several minutes and it is just some haunting sounds with dogs/wolves making their beastly sounds and it does not change too much. Somehow I find it interesting, but I think it is the intention of artists that do stuff like that to interact with different interpretations of sound than regular music, including the formation of images. Not that the formation of mental images and other types of creative imagination do not appear on music like classical, quite the contrary, but a classical piece almost never tries to convey images directly like experimental music does. The faculty of formation of images is always present, but experimental sounds do it more in your face. For example in this beastly sounds I can come up with several good atmospheres/images/dreams etc. that give a whole new experience to listening music. Again, it is a different proposal than classical.

So what I'm saying is this kind of music, and other experimental kinds too like noise, are to be taken as a different experience altogether.

So what about music makers like Rhys Chatham or My Bloody Valentine? They are notable for using traditional rock instruments and experimenting with noise textures.

But, there are many different noises out there; most can't be replicated with rock instruments, so we get weird stuff like musique concrete and Frank Zappa. You think they are all doing basically the same thing? Or that some music makers are more willing to explore abstract textures that don't represent any normal experience outside the experience of hearing?

So what I'm saying is this kind of music, and other experimental kinds too like noise, are to be taken as a different experience altogether.

Agree. But their is also much overlap between genre/styles. Occasionally black-metal hits on some of the grandeur one might find in certain classical pieces. Ambient music too. While certain modern classical on the other hand experiments excessively with noise and the mathematics of sound to the point where it inspires nothing more than interest in peculiar sounds (this is only the most basic level of music appreciation but it need not be frowned upon or on the other hand limited to such a simple level).

Indeed it is quite a contrast. What is supposed to be music of substance dissolves into worthless academic garbage and noise, while what is supposed to be the crazy rants of young adults can be sublime. A total inversion and a sign of the times.