Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Cannibal Corpse a ripoff?

Re: Cannibal Corpse a ripoff?
March 01, 2007, 05:40:39 PM
I'm frankly a little biased (or ill-informed) for not having heard them for so long.  I've always thought the debut was decent, if a bit campy, but never cared for anything beyond that even musically.  However, I don't think the s(c)h(l)ock value aspect can be ignored - this band was intentionally over-the-top from the start.  Their infamy was played upon heavily by their record company, also.  Why did AUTOPSY for instance - same county, same time, same genre, same basic themes - receive nowhere near the recognition?  Possibly weaker distribution/a UK record label?  Either way, it casts a suspect light on their existence and their use of imagery...all put, I can't identify anything CC created that can't possibly be found elsewhere in greater form or with seemingly better intent.

March 02, 2007, 06:52:01 AM
Their music is blank and hollow, so the standard argument used is that they are a hollow imitation of death metal.  They essentially created "generic death metal."

March 02, 2007, 04:34:24 PM
You could argue there was more to the lyrics of CC than just shock value. Their lyrics were more grotesque than Autopsy's and more in line with most of the very real fantasies of serial killers than most death metal bands. This made them more offensive since it had more to do with modern society rather than fantasy. Tomb of the Mutilated lyrics are basically the heterosexual version of Jeff Dahmer's crime spree albeit a bit exaggerated. It's in line with Death Metal's ideology of exposing mortality in grotesque fashion to a necrophobic society.

The members that now control the band's lyrics have long-admitted that Cannibal Corpse’ lyrical content is nothing more than a shock shtick inspired by comic books and horror movies, so if you want to make that argument, you are basically suggesting that Chris Barnes (lyricist/vocalist for the first three ‘Corpse albums) is capable of crafting lyrics around this fairly high-level concept that you’ve detailed.

Frankly, I’m much more inclined to believe that the band’s early lyrical output is just the result of Barnes getting high/wasted and trying to write “the sickest shit [he] can come up with”; I wish I remember where it was located, but I definitely remember watching an interview with him circa “Tomb of the Mutilated” where he—while obviously under the influence of some kind of drugs—says something similar to what I've attempted to paraphrase from memory.

March 02, 2007, 09:53:21 PM
Cannibal Corpse can be thought of as artistically relevant, but the degree to which their audience has to distort the band's output in order to come up with such an interpretation says a lot about the raw merit of the albums.

As for whether or not they ripped anyone off, that seems to be a mere footnote for debate in all that can be said regarding the heightened artistic vision and proficiency that CC's peers demonstrated (and still do, in some cases).

Wolfbane

March 03, 2007, 03:55:54 PM
I remember an interview with Barnes circa 93 (it's in the 666: Calling at death documentary) where he states the lyrical concept is "exploring areas of the mind which most people are afraid to explore". Personally I think Barnes killed off most of his brain cells around 95 or so just like Glen Benton.

March 06, 2007, 01:13:08 AM
Cannibal Corpse, Cradle of Filth, Pantera and Death are alike: they took the ideas of others and made a product of them. Why would you bother listening to the third-rate ripoff, when you can hear the originals?

Ask tom G. Warrior.

March 06, 2007, 07:04:43 AM
Cannibal Corpse, Cradle of Filth, Pantera and Death ???????????????

what????

in order of talent and introducing / adding / morphing something in the metal genre as a whole

Death (Human and Individual Thought Patterns had some stuff that i had never before heard in detah metal, as in orginal) - Yessss  i was a big fan of Atheist and Cynic so ...

Pantera - Cowboys and Strength all have orginal heavy moments, (taking the guitar sound strange heavy places and some angry songs) though lack consistency

Cradle of Filth - Principles and Dusk (original and hilarious english take on BM)

Cannibal Corpse - ??????-i cant think of one album that added something to the genre, except  medicority
as the ageless_stranger said :
"Their music is blank and hollow, so the standard argument used is that they are a hollow imitation of death metal.  They essentially created "generic death metal."

March 08, 2007, 04:41:08 AM
i saw an interview with them on this awful documentary called "666 - at calling death," where when asked about the lyrical content, one of them said,

"..exploring the areas of the mind where most people are too afraid to look."

Alex Webster just gave a simple response, "its just what we like."

i really have nothing else to add because its quite useless if the music itself doesn't boast this "deep intellectual" philosophy the user Nile was talking about.  

ozz

March 08, 2007, 05:13:41 AM
obviously, monstrosity dominates them.  

March 08, 2007, 12:05:23 PM
Yesterday, at the end of the concert of the band in question, the Team America main theme - "America, Fuck Yeah" blared out of the loudspeakers as they were tossing out goodies for the crowd.

Perhaps Cannibal Corpse are to be taken with a grain of salt, gentlemen?

March 08, 2007, 05:16:23 PM
We've been saying they are schlock all along.  Taking them with a grain of salt doesn't make them a better band, or more worthy of attention.

March 09, 2007, 12:55:12 AM
I never ventured into their specific qualities or lack thereof, but rather putting them into perspective ;)

ozz

March 09, 2007, 04:57:54 AM
love death metal, never been a fan of this band.  But I will say though that corpsegrinder was pretty good in Monstrosity (a vastly superior band in every conceivable way...)

March 09, 2007, 12:37:56 PM
Cannibal Corpse, Cradle of Filth, Pantera and Death are alike: they took the ideas of others and made a product of them. Why would you bother listening to the third-rate ripoff, when you can hear the originals?

Ask tom G. Warrior.

Stop following VP's ideas, Pantera definately do not sound like Prong of Exhoder. Even "Power Metal" in 1988 showed some basis for which groove metal was about to be formed, with the exception of the vocals.

March 09, 2007, 12:49:23 PM
Are you insinuating that Prozak was the person who came up with PANTERA = EXHORDER?  Get real.  There are a million other reasons not to listen to that garbage besides...it would be appreciated if you stopped making it your personal crusade to convince everybody otherwise.