Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Cannibal Corpse a ripoff?

Re: Cannibal Corpse a ripoff?
March 09, 2007, 03:32:02 PM

Stop following VP's ideas, ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? definately do not sound like Prong of Exhoder. Even "Power Metal" in 1988 showed some basis for which groove metal was about to be formed, with the exception of the vocals.

Everyone I've ever played "Slaughter in the Vatican" to has always said, "This sounds like ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?."  Even if ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? showed signs of becoming more groove orientated in 1988 and less like two men giving each other handjobs in a phonebooth, Exhorder had their sound since the "Get Rude" demo in 1986.  Phil knew this because he lived around them and hung out with them back then.  When he joined ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?, he got the rest of the guys to follow suit into the Exhorder sound.  Another question: who wasn't moving to a heavier sound at the end of the 80s?  They weren't pioneers by any means.  

Vinnie Paul never sounded like Chris Nail in the past and Dimestore cumshot based many riffs off Exhorder --- the exact rhythms.  He took away his skills as a soloist from his Van Halen worship and brought it into the Exhorder sound.  That is what many people argue was "so incredible" about ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?.  I remember guitar magazines praising the solo to "Floods" as one of the best of all time.  It sounded like the closing theme to a cop drama show.  Phil Anselmo not only stole Kyle's scream, but his clean voice.  Also, Thomas had genuinely pissed off lyrics about society, religion, upbrinings, or concepts working around LaVey's ideas.  Phil stole all of this but he also always hinted at some sort of belief in God (??): "What's evil is making love and making friends and meeting God you're own way... The right way."  Haha okay.

Rumor has it that the reason Phil never lived in Texas was because, if he did, he would have to greet a few neighbors with some information about himself.
The moat displays whitened bloated corpses
a cesspool where the slain float
for miles back their casualties are strewn
ours burn on pyres smoke replacing sky

March 18, 2007, 01:14:42 PM

Everyone I've ever played "Slaughter in the Vatican" to has always said, "This sounds like ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?."  Even if ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? showed signs of becoming more groove orientated in 1988 and less like two men giving each other handjobs in a phonebooth, Exhorder had their sound since the "Get Rude" demo in 1986.  Phil knew this because he lived around them and hung out with them back then.  When he joined ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?, he got the rest of the guys to follow suit into the Exhorder sound.  Another question: who wasn't moving to a heavier sound at the end of the 80s?  They weren't pioneers by any means.  

Vinnie Paul never sounded like Chris Nail in the past and Dimestore cumshot based many riffs off Exhorder --- the exact rhythms.  He took away his skills as a soloist from his Van Halen worship and brought it into the Exhorder sound.  That is what many people argue was "so incredible" about ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?.  I remember guitar magazines praising the solo to "Floods" as one of the best of all time.  It sounded like the closing theme to a cop drama show.  Phil Anselmo not only stole Kyle's scream, but his clean voice.  Also, Thomas had genuinely pissed off lyrics about society, religion, upbrinings, or concepts working around LaVey's ideas.  Phil stole all of this but he also always hinted at some sort of belief in God (??): "What's evil is making love and making friends and meeting God you're own way... The right way."  Haha okay.

Rumor has it that the reason Phil never lived in Texas was because, if he did, he would have to greet a few neighbors with some information about himself.

"I know those guys even though I never see or talk to them anymore for no particular reason, and what is true is they worked a lot harder than we did to earn their success." - Kyle Thomas

I have heard Slaughter in the Vatican, and it's a great album.
ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? has never used god as one of their themes, so you're wrong on that point. Just because ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? used a sentence with the word "god" in it (in one song), doesn't mean that God is one of their lyrical themes.
Both bands influenced eachother, and both Kyle and Phil has admitted that.
Fans like you makes sure that every time someone says Exhorder, ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? is mentioned.

March 18, 2007, 05:59:59 PM
Fans like you makes sure that every time someone says Exhorder, ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? is mentioned.

For two simple reasons:

1. Exhorder is better.
2. Exhorder did it first.

ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? was a Metallica ripoff until they found a new sound. For some reason, idiot tools like yourself are willing to overlook that. Shouldn't you be inhaling Zyklon-B somewhere?

March 21, 2007, 07:55:37 AM
since this is now the pants vs the exhorder thread.so there :

the exhorder debut pisses on most angry metal of that time from a great hieght..deserator !!!!! \m/.......

what the pants had was the slower less angry more wierd sounding grrove and the angular riffing.........like old metallica covering gang of four with NYHC vox....(expecially circa far beyond driven )

by the way., whats the most pissed off angry tharsh ever recorded.......if something comes close to Slaughter in the Vatican, i gotta know :)

March 21, 2007, 01:46:52 PM
by the way., whats the most pissed off angry tharsh ever recorded.......if something comes close to Slaughter in the Vatican, i gotta know :)

Malevolent Creation's "Retribution" is one of the best that I've heard.

March 22, 2007, 07:24:34 AM

As Phil Anselmo would say before dinner, "Amen!"
The moat displays whitened bloated corpses
a cesspool where the slain float
for miles back their casualties are strewn
ours burn on pyres smoke replacing sky

Wolfbane

March 23, 2007, 06:12:40 PM
by the way., whats the most pissed off angry tharsh ever recorded.......if something comes close to Slaughter in the Vatican, i gotta know  

Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence fits this description

March 23, 2007, 07:14:46 PM
Of who? I think they just made extremely brutal music and overly violent lyrics which made them who they are, and have never changed. I still think they are one of the most intense bands I have heard live.

March 24, 2007, 06:23:52 PM
Cannibal corpse is moron fodder and their drummer is lazy as shit.

March 24, 2007, 10:52:06 PM
Of who? I think they just made extremely brutal music and overly violent lyrics which made them who they are, and have never changed. I still think they are one of the most intense bands I have heard live.

"And they never changed" is your criterion for authenticity?

Britney Spears never changed. She's still the same pop princess making whore music for whores. She's equal to Cannibal Corpse. If they both vote, it will solve all of our problems.

ozz

March 24, 2007, 11:45:46 PM
The administrator just owned you.
a fucking guitar wizard

Annihilaytorr

March 25, 2007, 05:00:31 PM
The first two albums, and The Bleeding are the only CC albums that are really worth exploring. The Bleeding is probably their best, that said, this band always was a rather unworthy flag barer for Death Metal, and probably influenced Deicide to revert to redneck moron metal after Legion, and along with Deicide's post Legion era helped dumb down Death Metal to the state it is in today. Half of Death Metal's bad reputation can be traced back to this band.

The band's first two albums were most influenced by Sepultura, and were similar to Malevolent Creation in that.  

Annihilaytorr

March 25, 2007, 05:02:46 PM

Britney Spears never changed.

FYI home boy, Britney hasn't had a hit in years and recently shaved her head and has gone off the deep end. Bad example.

The point was valid though.

March 26, 2007, 12:31:47 PM
 No, just that they never changed, I don't think I said that makes their authenticity any more valid, did I?
You judge my words too quickly. It's all good I dont wish to further my worthless opinion on you.

Britney equal to Cannibal corpse? You can't judge taste :)

March 26, 2007, 01:48:43 PM
Britney Spears and Cannibal Corpse are quite alike.

Both began by creating a simplistic, messy combination of other rising musical styles. The music was pretty mediocre, sometimes outright stupid, but there was an entertaining image pushed with all of it(the "innocent cute" whore, or a humorous take on Marque De Sade styled shock writing) that possessed some camp value. It was also just flashy enough to appear "new", yet still commercially accessible enough to survive.
Now, many years later, both acts are still here, and it is true they have not changed. They are simply slicker, more funded, yet still worthless. However, what has certainly changed is that both acts, in a more materialist/post ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? world, where greatness is ignored and karaoke stars praised, both acts have managed to acquire some sort of legitimacy in the fan bases, the carnival joke becoming revered poetry, while all the time never changing.