Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Cannibal Corpse a ripoff?

Re: Cannibal Corpse a ripoff?
July 01, 2007, 03:31:50 AM
I like all death metal bands again i mean all.

Surely you will view some bands as being greater then others, or do you just have a play list of 100,000 songs and never repeat an album?

July 01, 2007, 03:28:32 PM
Cannibal Corpse is like TV. It's basically all the same, and might not be bad, but do you really need it?

I wouldn't listen to Cannibal Corpse unless there was a lack of other things to check out. And my hand would probably still keep reaching for Suffocation, Possessed, Morbid Angel, or Immolation first.

It's an injustice that Cannibal Corpse sells more albums than Immolation, just for being goofy and friendly and easy to digest.

Divus_de_Mortuus

July 01, 2007, 11:48:43 PM
I agree, while there maybe some Cannibal Corpse that in itself isn't all that bad, maybe bordering on "decent", the fact they were elected rather unworthy flag bearers for Death Metal was a key factor in the dumbing down of the genre. For that, they should be despised.

July 02, 2007, 05:56:07 PM
I think death is much like that, while not bad as such (at least until human) they became the epitome of what death metal was where they are clearly not worthy of such praise.

July 02, 2007, 09:46:09 PM
In any genre, there are going to be some who "get it" and others who don't. Heavy metal had its share of total loser bands, and then there was Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Black Sabbath and Mercyful Fate.

Divus_de_Mortuus

July 03, 2007, 04:03:20 AM
In any genre, there are going to be some who "get it" and others who don't. Heavy metal had its share of total loser bands, and then there was Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Black Sabbath and Mercyful Fate.

I think CC deserves a special place in history however for being the first Death metal band to popularize being an idiot. Sab, Motorhead, Fate, were all doing things* before others were, and were valuable contributors, where as CC just took an idiot savants approach to an established genre…

problem was...too much idiot, not enough savant!

* non idiot things

Wolfbane

July 03, 2007, 03:57:42 PM
Their first two albums are quality Death Metal, their next two show a more commercial approach, post-Barnes era is worthless music.

I think CC get singled out way too much on this site. They never really sold out like Death, they weren't posers like ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? and they are a gateway band into better material. Besides the lyrics are pretty funny in a black humor type way. If you want to find some really commercial DM, then look no further than post-Leprosy Death.

Divus_de_Mortuus

July 04, 2007, 03:09:12 AM
Their first two albums are quality Death Metal, their next two show a more commercial approach, post-Barnes era is worthless music.

I think CC get singled out way too much on this site. They never really sold out like Death, they weren't posers like ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? and they are a gateway band into better material. Besides the lyrics are pretty funny in a black humor type way. If you want to find some really commercial DM, then look no further than post-Leprosy Death.

The reason they are singled out is simple. Cannibal Copse acts as the primary agent behind the internal intellectual atrophy within Death Metal. They have become death metal's ambassadors to the world and have helped cast a negative image on the entire genre, to its detriment. Smart people who see how stupid they are dismiss the genre entirely and most of the people who are attracted to what they are don't belong here anyway.

The first two albums, especially the first, if judged for what they are out of context are alright, and not nearly as damaging as the Tomb of the Mutilated era and beyond, but are still limited at best and contribute very little. Death Metal would be better if this band never existed.

I agree they do have a limited role as a beginner band, by virtue of them being the most visible, so I would favor a Dark Legions Archive page about them that points smarter listeners in a more focused direction, and the rest out the door.

Divus_de_Mortuus

July 04, 2007, 03:22:34 AM
 As I typed that I felt inclined to throw on the debut to see how good it really is, as I listen to this stuff almost never, and to me, it sounds like a lobotomized Suffocation meets Malevolent Creation's style of Sepultura influenced Death Metal. It's actually ok, but I would take any of the above mentioned influences over this any day, and I am not sure I will be able to make it through the entire album.

I don't remember much from the second album apart from the fact I thought it wasn't nearly as good as the first. I tried many many times as a noob to see what the big deal behind Tomb of the Mutilated was, but beyond Hammer Smashed Face which is a nice brutal rocker, I could never ever stand that albums lumbering caveman approach.

I had an ex-girlfriend that made me listen to an album of theirs once from some years later, I think The Bleeding, and it seemed tighter and more technically proficient than earlier stuff, but still suffered from the same basic problems.

Ultimately, I think Cannibal Corpse tried pretty hard at various times, but like a man with no legs running in a marathon, you wouldn't want to donate more than 25 cents to his collection cup.

Wolfbane

July 04, 2007, 01:37:21 PM
Personally I think Death is more popular than CC and is more of the ambassador. I don't CC as that much rock-based compared to other bands and there not nearly as stupid as your generic poser band. Stop ragging on them so much, thats all I'm saying.

Divus_de_Mortuus

July 04, 2007, 03:13:39 PM
You have almost 270 posts and don't know how Death is treated around here? They get twice the heat CC does. All of Death's 80's material is legendary, but the musical diminution of Death post Leprosy through the 1990's runs parallel to the physical deterioration suffered by someone with AIDS.

Coincidence? I don't think so...

Nile577

July 05, 2007, 02:38:06 PM
I much prefer Cannibal Corpse to Possessed and Suffocation. I think Gallery of Suicide, TWS, Bloodthirst and Kill are good albums with some excellent tracks. With some exceptions, Cannibal Corpse lyrics are easily better than, say, Autopsy or Impetigo, and at their best are near the top of the genre. Butchered at Birth is much more artistically and 'philosophically' interesting than 90% of death metal. I don’t care about the general consensus of CC fans, and I no longer care about the band members’ views on ‘entertainment.’

Divus_de_Mortuus

July 05, 2007, 04:31:31 PM
Butchered and the Bleeding are their two best I think after some quick listens here recently, but I wouldn't say they were more artistic than 90% of death metal, in fact I would say they were as artistic as 90% of death metal, and therein lies the problem...

July 06, 2007, 02:06:28 AM
I much prefer Cannibal Corpse to Possessed and Suffocation.

You've probably just mis-labeled your CDs.

July 07, 2007, 03:55:56 PM
Most CC fans have struck me as very ignorant to the death metal genre and its origins. I was recently watching a live video of Possessed performing "Excorcist" on JewTube, and found this little gem in the comments:
"Wait, isn't this a Cannibal Corpse cover?