Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Education itself is the problem

Education itself is the problem
December 13, 2013, 02:55:44 PM
Over the last year, the stories I've heard from people and some generalized knowledge has led me to understand a simple truth:

Education is a bad thing.

The counterpoint to this is that learning is a good thing, but it's a fallacy to equate learning with education.

150 years ago, kids learned in small groups from traveling teachers or locally contracted tutors.

There was no sense of an organized activity that took up most of the day with classes in which smart kids waited for dumb kids to participate in laboratory-style context-less exercises.

We're dumbing ourselves down by inventing a type of little government, school, which rewards those who learn to manipulate it -- and those are the ones most detached from reality:

http://elitedaily.com/life/motivation/why-the-ones-who-have-bad-grades-are-often-the-ones-who-are-most-successful/

Re: Education itself is the problem
December 13, 2013, 04:57:32 PM
There are some key myths about the education system that need debunking. Literacy isn't reading comprehension. Speaking isn't critical thinking. Peer group socialization isn't evidence of a well adjusted young citizen.

December 14, 2013, 12:28:31 AM
Who handles education is the problem!!!

government, society

uneducated = slavery

December 14, 2013, 01:20:04 AM
Conditioned = slavery.
Squawk!

December 16, 2013, 05:26:47 AM
School was shit.

You had no idea what you were learning, why you were learning it, or if you were even learning. The social aspect sort of kept you sane, but also kept you insane. I don't really miss it.

Then you get to university. I don't know what the hell to make of university. It has a lot of the same shit from school, but at least you seem to be learning -something- even if it's not quite what you expected. Mostly the university experience has been a let down, but I still have to give it another shot, because apparently, no matter how well I went in school, they don't know if I'm ready for a job until I do even more school. Fark.

Fuck da system, yo
TAH EERF

December 16, 2013, 05:39:13 AM
School was not something I supported, after the age of 12. The system could only penalize any ability to laterally-think or show creative improvisation.
During a French test, I was unable to remember the translation for 'Flying Saucer', and so I did my not half bad best, and rendered it as 'a plate with a difference'.
Soucoupe Volante = Assiette Avec Une Difference...

No marks for that. But instead, ridicule.
After that, I ridiculed school.
Squawk!

December 16, 2013, 06:10:06 AM
Learning and education definitely are not the same thing. The educational system teaches obedience as its primary value, mainly because teachers have to spend an excessive amount of time on behavior management for the bottom 20% of students. The rest are forced to live by rules and regulations meant to keep the fuckups in check if they want to succeed. At the end of 12+ years of this, all a student usually knows how to do is follow instructions.

This is why you see so many students who go through high school and even college and are completely mystified as to what to do afterwards. "I did everything I was supposed to, now what?" I'm sure many of us have been there, too.
-l-

December 16, 2013, 12:09:20 PM
the problem also lies in your house, the first school is your home, if your home base is bad, all hereinafter be bad, if your house does not encourage you to study, you expect?
if your house only teach you to obey, not because you must obey or study because only you will be
Just a Face in the Crowd

all that joined the student project  of each government.

the ignorant are slaves to the system.
open your eyes.

December 16, 2013, 02:00:10 PM
Society created a life cyrcle that you can't get out or you'll be a "loser". Is basically study to get a good college, study again to get a good job, study to be promoted, study to be promoted again, we will never really live if we'll be prepared for ever, when we will really live the "real life"? Never. Seems like a social way to keep people in away from the other things.
From Brazil

December 18, 2013, 05:26:22 AM
I'm going to keep going to university, but so I can learn, not so I can get a job. I already have a job for now, and besides, I'm training to be the world champion of poker. I think I will continue with maths. I wouldn't mind learning complex analysis and all that good shit even if I do learn best on my own. I want to also learn psychology, so I can mathematically map the brain onto a sphere. So far I have only gotten as far as newton's laws of motion, i.e. the mind tends to do what it does, the mind will change when you do shit to it, what you do to the mind it will do back. Psychological forces, you can control the masses in a few equations.

Also, there's this philosophy professor at my university. The stuff he teaches, I swear he could have stepped right off of this site.
TAH EERF

December 18, 2013, 05:34:42 AM
You never know who will show up here, or exactly who it is you're talking to.
Squawk!

NHA

December 19, 2013, 07:53:31 PM
Real life is about how well you can bullsh*t your way through it, and that’s not something taught in a classroom.

Why most low level employees are fucking borderline useless, and yes, that is implicitly taught in school.

The author:
Lauren “LMoney” Martin grew up aspiring for one goal, to be the first woman engineer. Upon finding out there already were women engineers and she was not able to pass Calc 1 she reevaluated her life and chose to study the beautiful and honorable art of advertising. When advertising became too much work she opted for acting then realized she couldn’t get on stage. And when she failed at everything else she decided to become a comedy writer.

December 20, 2013, 03:14:26 PM
I never went to school, and I'm better at enduring the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune than my institutionally-educated acquaintances are. No child support  payments, few ex-lovers, no criminal record (but some criminal acts), have a car and a house and a fantastic lady. Evidently institutional education just expects you to find out how to accomplish those things on your own. My friends that have also accomplished those things didn't go to school either!

December 23, 2013, 02:28:02 PM
viewed from another perspective, education not only includes studies also everyday life, manners, ethics and morally speaking and behaving.
its your blood line are all idiots, you will be able to hardly break the scheme, there EXCEPTION.

if your family is genius, so will continue, unless a relative to marry a bitch (asshole man) and everything changed from there forward.

education is not the problem, the human race is the problem.