Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Modernist Distortion

Modernist Distortion
September 24, 2013, 12:17:17 PM
Angela Merkel won an overwhelming endorsement from German voters, putting the country’s first female chancellor on course for the biggest election tally since Helmut Kohl’s post-reunification victory of 1990.

Merkel’s Christian Democratic bloc took 41.5 percent to 25.7 percent for the Social Democrats of Peer Steinbrueck in yesterday’s election, according to results from all 299 districts. That leaves her short of a majority and needing a coalition partner to govern Europe’s biggest economy.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-22/merkel-wins-as-fdp-losses-leave-ally-unclear-exit-polls-show.html

In modernity, 41.5% of the approximately 70% of people that bother to vote is an "overwhelming endorsement".

Re: Modernist Distortion
September 24, 2013, 01:18:49 PM
I constantly hear about Obama's landslide victory in relation to the will of the voting bloc. Yet, I remember that the popular vote was actually about 2 percent shy of a 50/50 split. I know they are using the electoral college outcome to make the claim. Which further obfuscates the truth considering if you live in a place like CA, your vote doesn't count unless you want a democrat.

Re: Modernist Distortion
September 24, 2013, 02:57:39 PM
A lot of these news reports originate from places like L.A. or New York where the left is majority sentiment. It's a function of the perspective of the journalist and not very objective. Too much reporting is subject to such distortion. Cultural is another type.