Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

We, the people

We, the people
September 24, 2013, 12:48:13 PM
This phrase annoys me. As Wild pointed out, not everyone votes. Also, there is no singular "will of the people."

Further, it encourages voter weakness. Our government is broke and doing stupid stuff. Well, who controls that? The people voting.

The real problem is that people behave as a herd and thus, always vote for stupid things they don't want, and then blame someone else because it wasn't an individual decision, it was a group decision.

Re: We, the people
September 24, 2013, 01:21:45 PM
It's an excuse to make noise, to feel self important. The people want the trappings of power, they do not want actual power. Actual power means responsibility, with that comes consequences. Can't have those. No sir.

September 24, 2013, 02:06:29 PM
 Reminds me of a video I found of Frank Zappa on Crossfire back in the '80s. Some liberal is all over his case about the atrocities he presents in his music and that the 1st amendment does not protect Zappa's right to corrupt innocent children. Zappa fires back, Yes it does, it's called free speech because there are no restrictions. So the liberal says, Well who established that rule? Zappa says, The government, obviously. The liberal says, Well who is the government? It's us! WE THE PEOPLE decide our rules. Zappa is openly scoffing at this point. The video is a delight.

September 24, 2013, 11:59:57 PM
Also, there is no singular "will of the people."

I think in a healthy society that shares decent communal values, a will of the people indeed exists. Would there not be a common drive to maintain such a society? Would there not be a 'will' to preserve that world, while encouraging development in areas of interest (sciences, math, medicine, food, philosophy, etc)?

Of course, the US is nowhere near what I've described. As it is the phrase is just empty words with any meaning it may have had absent. Most people don't even know why they vote; and if they do its mostly due to the things that candidates do during their campaign.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

September 25, 2013, 03:21:21 AM
Culture replaced will of the people in the past giving direction in the absence of any command. Any will collectively obeyed as a command would have been issued by a sovereign.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

September 25, 2013, 04:44:25 PM
Culture replaced will of the people in the past giving direction in the absence of any command.

Replaced? I may be stretching a bit but this sentence makes them appear to be similar. Perhaps I'm just engaging in semantics.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

September 25, 2013, 07:21:06 PM
What happen here, in Brazil:

The politic that want money, get in politic.
The politic perceives that he has no voters.
The politic go to comunities, build useless things and pay expensive musicians to make shows.
The politic is elected.
The politic use all the people money to pay the bills from the pre-elected period.
The politic continue building useless things and paying untalented and expensive musicians.
The people think that the city is growing.
The people think that the politic is a saver.
The people back, happy, to home and see the high bills prices.
The people is blinded by the "good" work from the politic.
The people the people are becoming poorer.
The politic swining in money.
The politic is happy, because he will be re-elected.

:)
From Brazil

September 26, 2013, 12:47:00 AM
Those are some valid points. The people threw out tradition and they have nothing to show for it. They are also in denial about it or simply oblivious.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

September 27, 2013, 04:57:06 PM
Big corporations buy votes and control us.

September 27, 2013, 06:30:18 PM
The people get blinded by this 'good life".
From Brazil

October 06, 2013, 02:34:01 AM
Ignorance is bliss is consumerism and democracy:

A study published online in September in the American Journal of Medicine -- cleverly titled "The Autopsy of Chicken Nuggets Reads 'Chicken Little'" - revealed that two nuggets from fast food chains in Jackson, Miss. contained only about half of what we would consider chicken meat.

"We all know white chicken meat to be one of the best sources of lean protein available and encourage our patients to eat it," lead author Dr. Richard D. deShazo of the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, said to Reuters. "What has happened is that some companies have chosen to use an artificial mixture of chicken parts rather than low-fat chicken white meat, batter it up and fry it and still call it chicken."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57606118/report-chicken-nuggets-not-just-meat-but-blood-vessels-nerve-cells/