Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

How music makes us feel better

How music makes us feel better
September 28, 2013, 03:26:31 PM
The idea that music can have therapeutic value is far from new: in ancient Egypt, chant therapies were seen as integral to the healing process, while in ancient Greece, both Aristotle and Plato embraced its beneficial properties, writing that it could help people become better human beings and overcome emotional difficulties during the process of catharsis. The first major movement in modern psychology, psychoanalysis, held that music could offer an effective means of sublimation—expressing inappropriate desires in socially appropriate ways—and greater access to a patient’s unconscious. More recent approaches have included playing music in hospital wards and waiting areas to help improve patients’ mood and their physical well-being. And we listen to music constantly in everyday life: we flip on Pandora or Spotify to set the mood for drinks with friends, a romantic date, or a workout. Music can psych us up before an important meeting, or calm us down after a stressful conversation. It can even help us vent our anger or express our love, as anyone who has ever created a mix for a significant other—and then a break-up mix when things didn’t quite work out—can tell you.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/09/how-music-makes-us-feel-better.html

Re: How music makes us feel better
September 29, 2013, 12:20:45 AM
Possible, when I get in metal/punk I forgot a lot of thing without importance, it was in my 11 years old, I forgot the dream of be "popular", and get a girlfriend (with 11 years old). Haha, I was a idiot.

Re: How music makes us feel better
September 29, 2013, 12:36:26 AM
Notes from Western cosmology:

Interestingly, the eight musical modes, or scales, of classical Western music are seen by humorists to also affect the balance of humors, with the modes being evenly divided into four groups, each group affecting one the bodily humors:

PHLEGM

Dorian   Church Mode I
The Dorian Mode dries watery Phlegm, weakening its influence such that instead of causing lethargy, it causes a sense of equanimity and calm. The ancient Greeks attributed this to the Dorian mode's imparting the power of the Sun.

Hypodorian   Church Mode II
The Hypodorian mode magnifies Phlegm's effect on the body and induces lethargy and sleep. The ancient Greeks attributed this to the Hypodorian mode's imparting the power of the Moon.

YELLOW BILE

Phrygian   Church Mode III
The Phrygian mode reinforces the effects of Yellow Bile, inciting angry passions. The ancient Greeks attributed this to the Phrygian mode's imparting the power of the Mars.  

Hypophrygian   Church Mode IV
The Hypophrygian mode mitigates Yellow Bile's effects and acts as a musical scale to sooth the savage breast. It is a tender-sounding scale that incites delight. The ancient Greeks attributed this to the Hypophrygian mode's imparting the power of the Mercury.  

BLOOD

Lydian   Church Mode V
The Lydian mode reinforces the Blood, producing happiness. The ancient Greeks attributed this to the Lydian mode's imparting the power of the Jupiter.  

Hypolydian   Church Mode VI
The Hypolydian mode -- the "Weeping Mode" -- suppresses the effects of Blood, resulting in sadness and piety. The ancient Greeks attributed this to the Hypolydian mode's imparting the power of the Venus.  

BLACK BILE

Mixolydian   Church Mode VII
The Mixolydian mode magnifies the effect of Black Bile, leading to melancholia. The ancient Greeks attributed this to the Mixolydian mode's imparting the power of the Saturn.   

Hypomixolydian   Church Mode VIII
The Hypomixolydian mode supresses the effects of Black Bile and is the mode of happiness, perfection, and bliss. The ancient Greeks attributed this to the Hypolydian mode's imparting the power of the stars.[\quote]

http://www.fisheaters.com/fourtemperaments.html