Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Is black-metal vocals a version of guttural?

Is black-metal vocals a version of guttural?
September 29, 2013, 12:17:13 AM
Bands like Immortal and Dead's Mayhem possibly is guttural, but Burzum, Gorgoroth, early Mayhem, they use the guttural technique? Some say that black-metal vocals are a high-tone guttural.

Re: Is black-metal vocals a version of guttural?
September 30, 2013, 12:46:43 AM
Sounds to me like those bands use more of a rasp. Such a noise comes more from the back of the constricted throat, whereas guttural vocal sounds come from opening the throat more and pushing air from your lower abdomen.

October 07, 2013, 03:23:20 AM
Morbid Angel use more of a raspy black metal type vocal while something like Blasphemy is more guttural. On the other hand Carcass used all types of vocal effects. So I think it really depends on the type of sound the musician has in mind more so than fitting into a stereotyped style in an established genre.

October 07, 2013, 07:25:47 PM
Somewhat of a tangent, but it's amusing that as a vocalist, I have a much harder time distinguishing between growls, rasps, etc. than I did before I knew how to do them. Think of it as the opposite of how most people an instrument, where you just "go for it" at first and then build of a knowledge of theory and learn to master more scales, in addition to a lot of ear training.

With vocals, I learned to breathe and not to destroy my ability to speak first. Then I just listened along to records and kind of just did whatever. Now I have no clue what I'm doing, but singing along to None So Vile doesn't hurt, so I'll assume it's working out pretty well.

Anyway, assuming guttural is basically the lower sounding style that Death Metal bands started using the in early 90's, I'd say Black Metal vocals are often more simple and higher pitched, but in many cases having better projection. Or creepy monk singing.... Attila.