Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Are downloadable MP3s still relevant?

Are downloadable MP3s still relevant?
October 01, 2013, 05:01:55 PM
I think blogspot/storage locker downloading is going the way of the dodo.

My computer has < 100 mp3s on the hard drive. I stream 95% of my music via Spotify or Youtube. I use what.cd if for some reason I want the files. Haven't used a blogspot download in years.

Will audiophile still be relevant in a year? What about 5 years?

Re: Are downloadable MP3s still relevant?
October 01, 2013, 08:06:18 PM
It is a worthwhile endeavour and much appreciated. If alternatives become much more superior, I suppose it could just be adandoned, no harm, no foul. In the meanwhile, they arent good enough for a lot of people (though I dont rank amongst them).

October 02, 2013, 11:41:50 AM
If alternatives become much superior then we can just link the audiofile threads to whatever the alternative is instead. Also, some people are going to want the MP3s so they can put it on their portable players. My 4shared account tells me the amount of downloads occur and there is some activity. Some of these albums aren't on youtube as well.

But if the full album is on youtube then shall we add it as an additional link for those who'd rather not bother with the MP3s?

October 05, 2013, 05:48:20 AM
I suppose storage locker downloads are still useful to some, especially to those in countries where content is restricted on youtube/spotify/etc due to the legal clusterfuck that is international digital rights but I suspect the process will be streamlined in due time.

But as it stands for those in the US, Spotify provides just about everything you could hope for. From DLA mainstays like Morbid Angel, Incantation and Burzum, to obscurities like Infester, Revenant, and Cadaver, to newer stuff like Scalpel, Revel in Flesh and Goatcraft, their library is as close to comprehensive as you could hope for. All this is without the inconsistent quality and sloth-like download speed of a service like rapidshare. Moreover, listening on Spotify actually generates income for artists on a per-track basis, so even if you can't afford to purchase many albums you can still support worthy artists just by listening to them. Unfortunately, the program is ad-supported, but you can eliminate them for $5 a month, and for $5 more you gain access to spotify's library on your smartphone, thus eliminating the need to seek out and acquire mp3 files entirely. Worth it if you ask me.

And no, I'm not a spam bot; I just really like spotify :)

October 05, 2013, 05:53:24 AM
I don't understand how relying on an internet connection is superior to owning the source files.

October 05, 2013, 06:19:32 AM
Ultimately it's a tradeoff between convenience and control. But Spotify does have an offline mode where you can download (DRM protected) files and play them at your leisure while internet is unavailable.

I do keep some mp3s around as a back up, but I suspect my need for them will continue to fade as mobile broadband becomes more pervasive.

October 05, 2013, 06:27:16 AM
I don't see how logging into a site and hoping it streams perfectly is more convenient than just opening winamp.

October 05, 2013, 06:48:51 AM
 It's the hunt for mp3s that is an inconvenience. Finding a download that hasn't been deleted, isn't in a useless format like .wma, isn't password protected, isn't missing files, isn't a low bitrate, isn't hosted on a Russian site, etc. is a pain in the ass.  Also, transferring mp3s between various devices is a tedious process

With spotify I just type in what a want to listen to and it streams instantly.

October 05, 2013, 09:23:00 AM
I lost my mp3 player and didn't buy a knew one. Now I don't don't downlad mp3s I just listen to youtube. But I have also somewhat passed through the metal phase. I don't know, I appreciated music more before, now it seems less important, except as a pickmeup.

October 05, 2013, 02:18:32 PM
It's the hunt for mp3s that is an inconvenience. Finding a download that hasn't been deleted, isn't in a useless format like .wma, isn't password protected, isn't missing files, isn't a low bitrate, isn't hosted on a Russian site, etc. is a pain in the ass.  Also, transferring mp3s between various devices is a tedious process

With spotify I just type in what a want to listen to and it streams instantly.

I think the audiofile eliminates "the hunt" for getting the MP3s for the essential metal releases. And as for transferring between devices, I always make sure I use devices that don't have any in-built software so it's as easy as copy and paste. You can then easily throw them on friend's hard drives too.

October 05, 2013, 03:24:32 PM
I lost my mp3 player and didn't buy a knew one. Now I don't don't downlad mp3s I just listen to youtube. But I have also somewhat passed through the metal phase. I don't know, I appreciated music more before, now it seems less important, except as a pickmeup.

If metal listening was a phase for you, then that's fine, but my phases are impermanent. If I find I'm bored with metal, I try some other kind of music for a while. That helps me reorient my perspective on standards in music, and then I find my appreciation for metal growing again.

Meanwhile, on the subject of mp3s; I am vigorously opposed to listening to compressed digital files and prefer to buy CDs or cassettes. Fuck the "can the human ear discern the difference between compressed files and uncompressed files?" debate: The answer is yes and if you spend a lot of time streaming music then you are missing out on the sounds that the music makers intended you to hear.

October 05, 2013, 09:52:17 PM
For a second there, I thought Spotify was pretty slick.  Then Scalpel was interrupted by a Lowe's commercial, then Advance Auto Parts.  I'll stick with Audiofile between the two.

October 06, 2013, 02:05:44 AM
I lost my mp3 player and didn't buy a new one. Now I don't don't download mp3s I just listen to youtube. But I have also somewhat passed through the metal phase. I don't know, I appreciated music more before, now it seems less important, except as a pick-me-up.

A worthwhile observation. Why hang onto the way you are, for dear life, when the fact is you are growing and developing. Or should/could be. And (occasional) silence does wonders for a healthy existence.