Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Recommend me a good discman

Recommend me a good discman
October 09, 2013, 04:40:29 AM
The laser on my old Sony discman has finally died. It reads approximately one out of every five discs and sounds like a cat coughing up a hairball when it does play.

So what is a good model discman that's cheap and easy to find these days? I assume Sony is still the best manufacturer?

I hear good things about Sony's D-25 and D-555 models, but have no interest in paying $300 for a discman. $50 or less is my price range.

Re: Recommend me a good discman
October 09, 2013, 02:58:28 PM
i dont think stores carry the discman anymore. Check pawnshops or second hand stores, they might have a couple kicking around.  If you want to get a good MP3 player and not an Ipod i recommend Sansa Clip.  It has a 4 gig memory with an drive for an additional 4 gig memory stick.  4 members of my family have one and have had no problems. Its small, light, easy to use, affordable , and has good battery life.

here is a pic of it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sansa_clip_plus_8gb_black.jpg

http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/find-a-retailer/

October 09, 2013, 04:49:43 PM
I got a Panasonic model sl-np1a back in 1992. It has worked just fine all the while. It had cost fifty times as much back then however.

October 09, 2013, 10:14:01 PM
Philips made some sturdy discmen as well. I got 9 years of daily (ab)use out of this model.

The Sansa device looks interesting because it plays FLACs. 8GB=~ 15 albums.
How would playing FLACs impact battery life?

October 10, 2013, 01:50:38 AM
So what is a good model discman that's cheap and easy to find these days?

By "these days" you mean 1998, grandpa?

October 10, 2013, 02:12:04 AM
Philips made some sturdy discmen as well. I got 9 years of daily (ab)use out of this model.

The Sansa device looks interesting because it plays FLACs. 8GB=~ 15 albums.
How would playing FLACs impact battery life?

I would have to test this out, i only have a few flac albums downloaded.  Ill keep you posted if your interested though.

October 12, 2013, 07:50:18 AM
I'm assuming those Sansas' storage is expanded through micro SD cards. A word of advice: don't just buy the cheapest micro SD card you can find off of eBay or something, even if it's supposedly a name brand. If the card is super cheap (like less than a dollar), it's probably a Chinese knockoff that will give you compatibility issues or possibly fry your device. Just spend the extra $10 or whatever to purchase it new.