Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Looking forward...

Looking forward...
October 10, 2013, 02:04:47 AM
What do you look forwards to? Anything? Nothing? Lots of things?
An interesting question, perhaps, for nihilists.
I don't look forward to many things, but I definitely have a few.
Tell me yours, and I'll tell you mine.

Squawk!

Re: Looking forward...
October 10, 2013, 02:21:36 AM
What do you look forwards to? Anything? Nothing? Lots of things?
An interesting question, perhaps, for nihilists.
I don't look forward to many things, but I definitely have a few.
Tell me yours, and I'll tell you mine.

Climbing more mountains.  I've found this to be extremely rewarding in so many ways, so I look forward to seeing more of the heights and challenging myself further.

On a more material level, I'm also looking forward to building on my home.
He who fears the dark, shall never see the light
http://www.last.fm/user/Beastofsodom

October 13, 2013, 01:59:08 AM
I had an idea to create something beautiful which helps mankind. If not that then simply living out the days, appreciating each one. The summers, the winters. There's a first and last time for everything.

October 13, 2013, 02:07:19 AM
Ha :)
There's a world of difference between saying you want to help the world, and actually wanting to.
Selfish vs. selfless. That difference is completely lost among the selfish, whose name is legion.

Squawk!

October 13, 2013, 06:09:53 AM
I guess I wouldn't be helping them for me, but for them, which is good for me too.
Of course you have to wonder what makes me think they want my help  :D

October 14, 2013, 12:45:45 AM
That's not what I wonder, actually.
What I wonder - more and more - is why you'd want (or I'd want) to do anything for that crazy rabble, at all.

Squawk!

October 14, 2013, 06:35:11 PM
Not much other than experiencing our collapse.

I used to want things when I was younger. Now most of those things were either had or too subjective to warrant having. I agree about mountains. Nature divine.
Death Metal
Black Metal
Sukebe!!!!!!!!!!

October 14, 2013, 07:50:55 PM
I'll third the mountain sentiment.

Also, only on this forum do we see threads with posts from "parasite crow bukkake".
Liberalism is moral syphilis.

- Jonathan Bowden

October 14, 2013, 08:17:24 PM
I have no idea what that means.
Squawk!

October 14, 2013, 08:32:47 PM
Crows are susceptible to blood parasites, though it would just get wacky factoring in bukkake.
Death Metal
Black Metal
Sukebe!!!!!!!!!!

October 14, 2013, 08:34:46 PM
I have no idea what that means.

Trust me, you're better off...there are places of the internet you never want to tread.
Liberalism is moral syphilis.

- Jonathan Bowden

October 14, 2013, 10:51:57 PM
I look forward to not looking forward to anything. I'd rather have something to do that *needs* doing rather than just fulfill my own desires. I'm not quite a hedonist but my decisions bring me dangerously close.

On the other hand, I can see myself comforably getting old and never doing anything that others consider needful, if that makes sense. If not then think on this; who can really tell me what *needs* doing? No one can, not even my self, because then it's just a desire.

I guess I look forward to a life full of conundrums like that.

October 15, 2013, 03:42:15 AM
That's a good way to look at things.

However, eventually you'll grow bored of certain things and find new things to be bored with.
Death Metal
Black Metal
Sukebe!!!!!!!!!!

October 15, 2013, 04:37:41 AM
If not then think on this; who can really tell me what *needs* doing? No one can, not even my self, because then it's just a desire.

What needs doing depends entirely upon your circumstances. Often it has no connection with desire.
I had a 120' high fir tree, split at about eight feet from the base so that two trunks grew from one root system.
A south-easterly windstorm ripped one trunk from the other - which fell, fortunately, away from my house - so the remaining one was missing two thirds of its width, all splintered and ruined. The tree stood about eighty feet from the house, to the northwest, which is where the majority of high winds come from. An accident just waiting to happen.

Now, I never desire to cut live trees. Nor do I desire to spend money on tree-men to take trees down that I could probably take down myself. But this one was something that seemed far enough beyond my logging capabilities that I would have to engage professionals to do it. Which I did. They were not thrilled about climbing this very dangerous tree, to top it, and drop it in sections. They did not desire the job. I did not desire to have them do it. The tree - I imagine - did not desire to be killed. But this was a case of obvious need. The tree, or my roof.

Is that desire? Or is it need?

Desire, to me, would seem to be a wish to do something, or have something, or experience something, that would seem to be preferable to not doing, having, or experiencing it. But not remotely essential. Whereas a need implies something essential.

Squawk!

October 15, 2013, 12:12:05 PM
It's a good thought crow. Do you need to stay alive and healthy? Or do you just desire to?