Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Life is not a vacation.

Life is not a vacation.
October 16, 2013, 06:48:38 PM
Life is not a vacation, no matter how much we might like it to be.
It involves adaptation to the demands of living.
Which involves a lot of activities we might wish we could avoid.
This is really what society attempts to deliver: a way to get what we need, without giving anything in return.
Which is why society will fail, and can do nothing else but fail, in the long run.
Unless...

Humans are able to take control of themselves, rather than let society define their behaviour.
To become something worthy of being alive, rather than just being passive, consuming vacationers.

Squawk!

Re: Life is not a vacation.
October 17, 2013, 07:34:52 AM
Perhaps once the world is depopulated enough to where we can live within our means with enough comforts to keep the average citizen content.

You give society too much credit. It's not on vacation. Much like a sick person refusing to get treatment, society is waging war upon itself by ignoring that it's ill.

We're on borrowed time.
Death Metal
Black Metal
Sukebe!!!!!!!!!!

October 17, 2013, 03:23:47 PM
Life is not a vacation, no matter how much we might like it to be.
It involves adaptation to the demands of living.
Which involves a lot of activities we might wish we could avoid.

Ironically, this sounds like more like vacations I've been on than my day to day life.

October 17, 2013, 06:15:09 PM
That's the spirit :)
Maybe you should take a permanent vacation. It's one way of doing it.
Squawk!

October 18, 2013, 06:33:17 PM
we all have different perspectives on life, and focus it.
Vacation is or not, depending on your person, mood, culture and socio economic status.

I join:

I've been on than my day to day life.

October 18, 2013, 08:10:03 PM
Well, in case there are those who do not yet know it: life is not a vacation, it is bloody hard work.
If it isn't bloody hard work, then you're not really living.
But bloody hard work isn't necessarily a bad thing, or something to be avoided, and this is something modern man has lost all track of. Life, and the experience of living, decreases in direct proportion to comfort and convenience.

The big secret, really, is that work done directly equals satisfaction experienced, which is, itself, directly proportional to one's ability to see work in that perspective.
Leaping into difficulty, challenge, and the results gained, offers rewards that go far beyond the activity itself.
What else were you doing, anyway?

Life is for living. Not merely being not-yet-dead.
Squawk!

October 20, 2013, 01:11:08 AM
I agree with this. One of my greatest fears is thinking that the last thought that might push itself into my brain at the moment of death is "oh god, I fucked it all up". I need to remember to do everything I can to make that not the case.

October 20, 2013, 02:32:51 AM
I've always seen this as an important philosophical pillar that underlies the 'metal' attitude.  Metal is the music of those exhausted by the ease of modern life.

October 21, 2013, 11:28:25 PM
Well, in case there are those who do not yet know it: life is not a vacation, it is bloody hard work.
If it isn't bloody hard work, then you're not really living.
But bloody hard work isn't necessarily a bad thing, or something to be avoided, and this is something modern man has lost all track of. Life, and the experience of living, decreases in direct proportion to comfort and convenience.

There was a study once related to me about children that grew up in three different environments: no, moderate, and high stress. The children that were the least "happy" - or whatever metric they were using - were those with no stress. Those with moderate stress ended up being the most well-adjusted.

Supposedly, anyway. It often surprises me how much our culture is a game of "telephone".

October 22, 2013, 12:18:47 AM
Ironically, after two weeks of wheel-barrowing tons of earth, uphill, and spreading them into laboriously built landscape-tie terraces, in heavy, wet fog, all I can think about is a bit of comfort and convenience.
Each barrow contains twenty shovelfuls of soil. Each terrace contains about 100 barrows. I think I've just used up my third truckload of soil...

On the other hand: not bad, for a sixty-year-old, 140 pound, bird-boned weakling.
And on the other, other hand, my seventy-year-old wife can still outwork me.
But she's a human.

Squawk!