Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Making metal socially acceptable

Making metal socially acceptable
October 19, 2013, 01:56:48 PM
 “Our whole life was turned upside down and I needed to find something, and I found God,” Cavalera said. “I really put my faith in it and it was good to me. (It) made a lot of good things happened spiritually and a lot of my prayers were answered.”

The world music aspect started in the early days of Sepultura with the use of Brazilian tribal sounds. Cavalera expanded it in Soulfly, traveling the world to get sounds from musicians and instruments not typically found on metal records.

Through the years, Cavalera recorded with Serbian Gypsies, reggae musicians, Amazonian tribesmen, Australian Aborigines and R&B singer Asha Rabouin on melodic songs like “flyhigh,” ‘’Tree of Pain” and “Wings.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/soulfly-founder-max-cavalera-gives-heavy-metal-a-twist-of-spirituality-and-world-music/2013/10/18/267b3ffc-3800-11e3-89db-8002ba99b894_story.html

Re: Making metal socially acceptable
October 19, 2013, 06:31:52 PM
Ironically Sepultura could be considered some pretty spiritual music early in their career.

October 20, 2013, 12:53:10 AM
They are possibly the most embarrassing sell-out band ever. 

October 21, 2013, 07:08:07 PM
Here in South America, that kind of garbage, burned at the stake.

;)

October 22, 2013, 12:12:12 AM
They are possibly the most embarrassing sell-out band ever.

Maybe, but they are still short their Beneath the Remains focused version of Death Magnetic to cash in on nostalgia.