Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Who attends this forum?

Who attends this forum?
October 31, 2013, 05:30:00 AM
I'd like to know, just out of curiosity, the academic background of the people who frequently attend this forum. And your interests.  Specially artistic interests in which you are actively engaged?

I have just obtained my undergrauate degree on Computer Science.
I learned acoustic guitar during my teen years and have been learning electric guitar for about 5 years.   In order to be more than a talker I try to keep my weekly practice at at least 5 hours distributed throughout the whole week.
I've been learning piano for a few months and I study music theory, history and appreciation when I get the chance, as often as I can in between work, instrument practice and gym sessions.

Re: Who attends this forum?
October 31, 2013, 05:50:59 AM
Death Metal
Black Metal
Sukebe!!!!!!!!!!

October 31, 2013, 06:02:31 AM
I was studying Computer Engineering until I lost all motivation, failed all my courses, and dropped out. I took a while off, and I'm currently re-taking a few courses while working as a cashier full-time. If I didn't hate cashiering so much I'd likely not have returned at all.

Besides that, I've been reading lots of Lovecraft, playing Smash Bros Melee competitively, and working out, loathe it though I do. I was given an acoustic guitar a couple months ago by a family friend, so I've been practicing that, mostly playing nostalgic songs from N64 games. I'm not the ubermensch that metal demands of me, but I don't think I'm the aspie you might think I am, either. I'm just an average depressed nerd, I suppose.

Also, what is it with all the computer science metalheads, and why are there none at my university in particular? Never had a conversation about metal in person in my life.
Just a walking corpse.

October 31, 2013, 06:28:12 AM

...I learned acoustic guitar during my teen years and have been learning electric guitar for about 5 years.   In order to be more than a talker I try to keep my weekly practice at at least 5 hours distributed throughout the whole week...

You'll have to do better than that :)
I played acoustic guitar for about 30 years, in all, and for many of those years, practiced 12 hours a day, every day.
I got pretty good. Here's an anomaly: whoever uploaded this to YouTube thinks it's Clapton, while others think it's Knoppfler. Some even claim it's Mason Williams, who wrote it. But it isn't any of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55A9H-PqOvY

Played, incorrectly, missing out the middle eight, with only two fingers and a thumb, on a Martin D-35.
Dat is de crow!
Haha  :)

Squawk!

October 31, 2013, 01:02:42 PM

...I learned acoustic guitar during my teen years and have been learning electric guitar for about 5 years.   In order to be more than a talker I try to keep my weekly practice at at least 5 hours distributed throughout the whole week...

You'll have to do better than that :)
I played acoustic guitar for about 30 years, in all, and for many of those years, practiced 12 hours a day, every day.
I got pretty good. Here's an anomaly: whoever uploaded this to YouTube thinks it's Clapton, while others think it's Knoppfler. Some even claim it's Mason Williams, who wrote it. But it isn't any of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55A9H-PqOvY

Played, incorrectly, missing out the middle eight, with only two fingers and a thumb, on a Martin D-35.
Dat is de crow!
Haha  :)

Certainly will have to do better than that, I am just saying I try to keep the minimum at 5 hours per week, when I am too busy to actually concentrate on that. 

Btw, I expected some more motivation and serious answers.  But the replies say a lot about the crowd around here, sort of disappointing after seeing everybody being so arrogant about their taste in music.

October 31, 2013, 01:32:12 PM
Btw, I expected some more motivation and serious answers.  But the replies say a lot about the crowd around here, sort of disappointing after seeing everybody being so arrogant about their taste in music.

What does this say about you?
Liberalism is moral syphilis.

- Jonathan Bowden

October 31, 2013, 01:35:59 PM
Arrogant? I see it as people that have standards to the art form.

It's nice to have a place to talk about music without having personal accomplishments (or lack of) stigmatizing the information that's being relayed.
Death Metal
Black Metal
Sukebe!!!!!!!!!!

October 31, 2013, 02:20:42 PM

I may not have expressed myself clearly.  Sorry for that.

About me? It says I expected more direct answers.  I think only one guy took me seriously, haha.

October 31, 2013, 02:23:44 PM
Arrogant? I see it as people that have standards to the art form.

It's nice to have a place to talk about music without having personal accomplishments (or lack of) stigmatizing the information that's being relayed.

Sure, but there is still some arrogance in it. And I expected some answers that would tell me something of why you have such strict views. 
Also, I am not separating myself from "the people here".  I share this view of being selective with art. 

I did not mean to stigmatize anyone or show off any accomplishment.  I merely wanted to get an idea of the general background of people around here and if they actually have dreams/goals in art, either art they want to produce or art the expect or would wish to hear. 
The discussion could lead in all directions.  This was my intention.

October 31, 2013, 02:30:23 PM
I was studying Computer Engineering until I lost all motivation, failed all my courses, and dropped out. I took a while off, and I'm currently re-taking a few courses while working as a cashier full-time. If I didn't hate cashiering so much I'd likely not have returned at all.

Besides that, I've been reading lots of Lovecraft, playing Smash Bros Melee competitively, and working out, loathe it though I do. I was given an acoustic guitar a couple months ago by a family friend, so I've been practicing that, mostly playing nostalgic songs from N64 games. I'm not the ubermensch that metal demands of me, but I don't think I'm the aspie you might think I am, either. I'm just an average depressed nerd, I suppose.

Also, what is it with all the computer science metalheads, and why are there none at my university in particular? Never had a conversation about metal in person in my life.

Yeah, I know! I guess it's just because a lot of people hanging out on the internet in forums tend to study computer-related majors? so it would appear as if there are a lot of computer science metalheads.  But yeah, not in my school, at least not serious metalheads, only the kind that get to the most mainstream Megadeth albums, and that's their limit.

October 31, 2013, 02:32:04 PM
My name is Humanicide, and I'm an alcoholic.

Really though, I hold a masters degree and am currently working in a profession related to my field. Schooling definitely diminished my guitar playing abilities (too much time doing busy work leaves little time for practice), but since school is done I've been getting back into it. I have an electric guitar, and I also play bass guitar. I'm only pursuing these instruments in a casual manner, and expect to never really make money with them. I'm in a band right now and possibly will be in another in the coming months. Getting back into working out regularly as my previously mentioned masters program took up a lot of my time. I'm getting too flimsy for my own liking.

Related - crow why did you just stop playing guitar after 30 years, if you don't mind me asking? I have always found guitar playing calming and even therapeutic. I'd think someone focused on calm and inner serenity such as yourself would continue such an activity.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

October 31, 2013, 04:32:01 PM

About me? It says I expected more direct answers.  I think only one guy took me seriously, haha.

I was more curious about the guy who calls people arrogant when they don't respond to his satisfaction.

- Jonathan Bowden

October 31, 2013, 04:39:11 PM

I was more curious about the guy who calls people arrogant when they don't respond to his satisfaction.

I didn't call you arrogant because you did not respond to my satisfaction.

I called you arrogant because all of us in agreement with the spirit of this website come off as arrogant, because we are more selective with our music.  I expect that people who are so serious about it would also give me serious answers when I ask a direct question, specially one so simple. Does that make sense?

PS. I'm including myself in the group of "arrogant" people.

October 31, 2013, 04:45:47 PM
I called you arrogant because all of us in agreement with the spirit of this website come off as arrogant, because we are more selective with our music.

So you think preferring quality music is indicative of an over-inflated sense of self-importance.

- Jonathan Bowden

October 31, 2013, 04:57:41 PM
Btw, I expected some more motivation and serious answers.

I dont want to display my life to you though, why would I?

As far as arrogance goes he is right.