Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Who attends this forum?

Re: Who attends this forum?
October 31, 2013, 05:02:38 PM
Crowdism -- self importance.

Wanna know something about me (Hajj Abd Al-Nabi) that no one else knows?

I prefer Morbid Angel's Covenant more than Morbid Angel's Blessed are the Sick!

Gosh. Here comes the firing squad.

October 31, 2013, 05:12:42 PM
What's wrong with 'arrogant', anyway? Is it worse than acne? Or nose-picking?

Humanicide:
I quit playing because I realized I'd been doing it purely to feed my own ego, right from the start.
It was all about me, and my vast need for praise and adulation from others.
That's an embarrassing thing to realize about oneself, no? It was for me.
I bought a new D-28 a few years back, but still I don't play it, beautiful instrument though it is.
Maybe one day...
Or maybe not.

October 31, 2013, 05:16:08 PM
That's true for >90% of musicians today, if the money alone isn't enough.

October 31, 2013, 05:21:11 PM
I suppose there are exceptions.  8)

October 31, 2013, 05:41:43 PM
I quit playing because I realized I'd been doing it purely to feed my own ego, right from the start.

Dont see it that way. When it was for adulation, i.e. for others to see, it was ego food, but it wasnt FOR YOU. The music I mean.

When the music is for you it is ego free.

October 31, 2013, 05:45:36 PM
I'm a lost wanderer. The only thing you need to know about me for now is that art, be it music, drawing, writing and music have been a big part of my life and still is.

It is maybe shameless promotion but you can listen to it there.
http://incandescence1.bandcamp.com/
The downloads are free but you can pay for it if you want.

or watch it here
http://monts-et-forets.blogspot.ca/

I don't intend to make a living out of it. It's a passion. Feel free to make any commentary about it.

Also english is not my first language.

October 31, 2013, 05:55:14 PM

Dont see it that way. When it was for adulation, i.e. for others to see, it was ego food, but it wasnt FOR YOU. The music I mean.

When the music is for you it is ego free.

English is not your first-language?
"It was for me" refers to the embarrassing realization, which was embarrassing for me, it does not refer to the music, or my playing of it.

October 31, 2013, 05:58:40 PM
I don't understand that logic.

Wouldn't talking about it be as 'embarrassing' as playing it then?

October 31, 2013, 06:07:47 PM
I've only spent about 2 months in educational institutions all of my life. I never attended a preschool, middle school, or high school. Still I managed to get a state-recognized diploma. Then I attended graphic design courses for 2 months before realizing that all I was learning was how to trick stupid people.

I've been drawing and illsutrating for 20 years, everything from landscapes to animals and plants to architecture, schematics, cartoons etc. I am good at it and always believed the idiot adults who told me I could make a good career out of that "talent". But it's not talent, it's love, and love is not a business model.

I've been playing the 6-string guitar for 10 years now, in lots of bands (faggy-core, then punk, then hardcore, then experimental rock and jazz, now single-or-double guitar compositions and death metal), recently (last year) started playing 5-string bass for a cover band for extra cash, now am more badass on bass than guitar.

Started teaching myself about music theory and composition about two years ago to learn scales and modes and better my improvisation.

Basically seft-taught all the way through in temrs of artistic ability.

As for work; I basically do whatever people will pay me for. I've been a "salesman" for the last 6 years but mostly I stick to the technical in-shop work and managing service schedules, etc. It's a good job because I have a lot of time to read books or work on illustrations. I hate convincing people that they need to buy things to be happy so I'm a terrible salesman. I really have no other skills except for basic computer knowledge (which is above the average, I've found) and I can lay tile, do plumbing work, some carpentry, little experience with concrete, and can at least change the oil and tires and fuses on my car. I can also cook just about anything.

October 31, 2013, 06:14:49 PM
I don't understand that logic.

Wouldn't talking about it be as 'embarrassing' as playing it then?

You don't understand the logic, because it has nothing to do with logic.
I am logical when I need to be. The rest of the time, logic does not serve nearly as well as insight.
I was embarrassed then, but not being a static object, I am not embarrassed now, because, through my revelation about why I was playing music, I moved on from the consciousness (or lack of it) that I had then, into the state I find myself in now, which does not include ego-indulgence or motivation.

This is good stuff, and makes up for my inadvertent sidetracking of the thread.
It also explains your less-than stellar performance at Amerika, resulting from insufficient experience to 'get' what others are writing about, or their context in doing so.

You can't make up for a lack of experience. If you could, experience would count for nothing.
It can only come with age, although age is no guarantee of experience, either.
There are plenty of ancient characters that have never experienced much, and never will.
Which seems a bit of a waste of life.

October 31, 2013, 06:18:19 PM
Great post, Dead Last. Makes good reading, and illustrates the sort of skillset you can acquire, just by being who you are, as opposed to paying too much attention to what others think about who you should be.

October 31, 2013, 06:32:08 PM
So by the rhetoric, it's based on "insight", which is ok being "illogical", because experience is more important.

This seems rather foggy and THC laden.

October 31, 2013, 06:40:29 PM
I'm sure it does. But you might try taking my word for it, and that my intentions are good ones.
I may, once, have beat people up, just because I could, but that was then.
Now I am more interested in encouraging isolated buds to flower into verdant gardens.
Capiche?

NHA

October 31, 2013, 08:03:30 PM
I'd like to know, just out of curiosity, the academic background of the people who frequently attend this forum. And your interests.

American highschool diploma, 0.5 GPA, almost straight F's. Interests include math, sodomy, and booze.

October 31, 2013, 08:33:50 PM
English is not your first-language?
"It was for me" refers to the embarrassing realization, which was embarrassing for me, it does not refer to the music, or my playing of it.

lol what is with the snark? I am talking about the `about me` part of your sentence. About me, for me etc.