Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Is Reality synonymous with Nature?

Is Reality synonymous with Nature?
November 02, 2013, 05:29:05 PM
I say no.  Reality does not stop at nature.  Nature falls under the heading of reality, but they are not synonymous.  Reality includes the option to challenge nature, tame nature, divert nature, and amplify nature.

Re: Is Reality synonymous with Nature?
November 02, 2013, 05:56:39 PM
King Cnut set his throne by the sea shore and commanded the tide to halt and not wet his feet and robes. Yet continuing to rise as usual, the tide dashed over his feet and legs without respect to his royal person.

Then the king leaped backwards, saying: 'Let all men know how empty and worthless is the power of kings, for there is none worthy of the name, but He whom heaven, earth, and sea obey by eternal laws.'

He then hung his gold crown on a crucifix, and never wore it again, to the honour of God, the almighty King.

November 02, 2013, 07:58:56 PM
Hey Jim,

Could you define your concepts?

For example, if "Nature" is "Wilderness" or even "Physical Existence Including Both Wild and Man-Made" or even "Any Phenomenon", then Nature and Reality are not synonymous, since all those things are only ever appearances before us, and of course Reality is the opposite of Appearance.

However, if "Nature" is "Way" or "Character" or "Inherent" or "Absolute", then Nature and Reality are synonymous.

November 02, 2013, 10:10:21 PM
Maybe you could say that Nature is the consistency of the mechanics that govern the universe; the mass of objects, the speed of light, and other mechanics that we can count on most anywhere we go. Reailty, meanwhile, is the actual configuration that emerges from Natural interactions. For example, it is Natural for me to want to get laid (since my chemical mechanics put that desire in me), but in Reality, I might not be getting laid aw often as I want (because that is the actual configuration of matter all across the universe right now). Or another example. We know that Nature allows for planets like Earth that organisms can inhabit, but there may not actually be another planet similar to ours anywhere. Regardless of possibility, Reality is what is going on, but understanding Nature can give clues as to why Reality is what it is.

November 02, 2013, 11:27:37 PM
Nice. That's a good illustration.

November 03, 2013, 02:41:27 AM
Hey Jim,

Could you define your concepts?

For example, if "Nature" is "Wilderness" or even "Physical Existence Including Both Wild and Man-Made" or even "Any Phenomenon", then Nature and Reality are not synonymous, since all those things are only ever appearances before us, and of course Reality is the opposite of Appearance.

However, if "Nature" is "Way" or "Character" or "Inherent" or "Absolute", then Nature and Reality are synonymous.
Yeah, I mean "nature" as in your first definition. 

November 03, 2013, 11:15:55 PM
The thing is, one man's reality is often another man's non-reality. Perhaps one is more functional than the other or perhaps not. Perhaps it depends on the context within which they see their reality. Nature allows for and gives rise to infinite possibilities including all possible ways in which it can be seen. Or perhaps that's just the way I see it.

November 07, 2013, 11:52:41 PM
Reality includes the option to challenge nature, tame nature, divert nature, and amplify nature.

Changes occurring in nature are all natural (of nature). Bears, beavers and birds do all of the above not just people. The illusion of human exceptionalism, with its altering and taming the natural world can't qualify as an unnatural exception. It's just unfortunate in a lot of ways.

The thing is, one man's reality is often another man's non-reality.

Stupidity, insanity along with their effects are real. Defects of all sorts including the mind kind are all natural. Fantasy worlds in someone's imagination are natur(al) and therefore real by any definition, but they aren't reality by certain definitions of this term however.

All of nature is real and all of what's real is natural. But not everything real fits a strictly materialist definition of reality. That's also where truth shears off from fact.

November 10, 2013, 01:58:24 AM
The thing is, one man's reality is often another man's non-reality.

Stupidity, insanity along with their effects are real. Defects of all sorts including the mind kind are all natural. Fantasy worlds in someone's imagination are natur(al) and therefore real by any definition, but they aren't reality by certain definitions of this term however.

All of nature is real and all of what's real is natural. But not everything real fits a strictly materialist definition of reality. That's also where truth shears off from fact.

Agree. But I was thinking of something a little less obvious than overt insanity, for example, a rightist at a seminar full of leftists or a leftist at a seminar full of rightists.