Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

How to not disappear up your own ass.

How to not disappear up your own ass.
November 04, 2013, 06:55:54 PM
The more I see, and hear, about people, the more I prefer the company of rabbits, birds, mushrooms...
I got up, this morning, and took my coffee out onto the back deck, which is covered, and full of tools.
Two woodpeckers, a junco, a fox sparrow and a wren skittered about, reminding me to feed them before I settled down for caffeine.
After experiencing that, in all its innocent glory, I staggered back inside and sat down to read the usual news, weather, blogs and forums I always read...

People, for the most part, lead lives so cut-off from nature, that all they see is the social, people-stuff, and not surprisingly, this is the stuff that they worry about. It's not enough that they get immensely troubled by this people-stuff, but on top of that comes the ongoing analysis of what, how and why.

I have discovered, by being older than I was, and ever eager to have as little to do with people-stuff (and people) as possible, that nearly all problems are solved by not engaging with people in the first place. Indeed, whenever I do encounter these strange beasts, all I see is neuroses, depression, and assorted degrees of craziness. Which, if I took them seriously, would inevitably infect me, too.

The things people worry about, is almost completely beyond me. It is laughable. But not funny. The net result of this worry is, as I so often observe, desperation, depression and a state of visible unbalance. People have a predisposition to disappear up their own asses, and this is easily achieved by allowing themselves to become crazy, and then to spend their remaining energies justifying why they have allowed themselves to become so.

And none of it counts for anything. It is all plain crazy.

It's gonna pour with rain again, soon, the wind may blow very hard, and a tree could fall on my house. Or even a meteor. There is a megathrust earthquake getting closer and closer, apparently, and I live uncomfortably close to reputedly active volcanoes. It's all a bit tenuous, really, and maybe I should go into a panic. But I simply can't be bothered with any of it. I am alive, now, and as healthy as anyone my age could expect to be, etc...

Sanity, and peace of mind, is maintained by giving no CPU cycles to the crap that others worry about.
Because it really is crap. All of it. So now you know.

Re: How to not disappear up your own ass.
November 04, 2013, 08:00:40 PM
What about worrying about appearance, your own looks?

November 04, 2013, 08:47:17 PM
So why do you involve yourself in the internet? It's humans neurosis x1000 with the added benefit of being anonymous so people feel even less restrained than normal.

November 04, 2013, 08:48:32 PM
Funny you should mention that. I was thinking how ugly I was, just this morning, based upon official photos for official documents. And that I was so ugly that it really didn't matter. I mean, if you're only a bit ugly, maybe you worry about it, but when its so extreme, there's nothing you can do, anyway. So why worry?
Why worry about anything?
It makes absolutely no difference to the eventual outcome, except that whatever it is you're worrying about will have depleted you, and rendered you less able to deal with whatever it was you were worried about.

November 04, 2013, 08:50:18 PM
So why do you involve yourself in the internet? It's humans neurosis x1000 with the added benefit of being anonymous so people feel even less restrained than normal.

I may be neolithic, but I'm not a complete neanderthal. Who can escape the internet, these days?
At least I can mostly escape the actual human presence behind the seething internet hordes.

November 04, 2013, 09:02:53 PM
One day I hope to live without any technology developed within the past 1000 years.

November 04, 2013, 09:12:43 PM
You'll never make it, without a date-pit-removing machine.

November 04, 2013, 09:21:47 PM
I've never been on a date. I think my personality removes that well enough.

Oh, you meant the fruit! Thankfully that doesn't grow where I live.

November 04, 2013, 09:32:27 PM
You've never been on a date?????
Hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!
Me neither  :(

November 04, 2013, 09:34:11 PM
Why worry about anything?
It makes absolutely no difference to the eventual outcome, except that whatever it is you're worrying about will have depleted you, and rendered you less able to deal with whatever it was you were worried about.

Presumably the impulse does exist for a reason. Worry relies on the idea that we can predict future events ("a form of hubris"). Usually we can't really, although we like to think to the contrary.

November 04, 2013, 09:38:33 PM
You've never been on a date?????
Hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!
Me neither  :(

Considering this thread is about avoiding neurosis and dysfunction, that doesn't surprise me.

At least whores know themselves. Modern women are whores who think they're queens. That's probably the best benefit of homosexuality: no women. Though I hear it can be painful.

The best solution is finding a woman outside time. As you know.  :)

November 04, 2013, 09:44:59 PM
As in pre-menopausal? Maybe I didn't understand.

On a lighter note, today I made the rare move of calling my much-hated Volvo dealer, enquiring as to whether, or not, he had any steel rims for my snow tires. He counter-enquired as to whether I really wanted steel rims, to which I replied that I would actually prefer papier-mache rims, over steel, but was having a terrible time tracking any down.

The really depressing thing was when I realized he was taking me seriously, as he comprehensively outlined the disadvantages of such rims, over steel.

November 04, 2013, 09:50:29 PM
As in pre-menopausal? Maybe I didn't understand.

Not quite what I was going for. Though I suppose some ancient cultures would endorse this.

I meant it in the sense of being undamaged by our current age. An actual Woman, as opposed to these abominations that think they're men minus a dick.

November 04, 2013, 10:57:03 PM
I've been on a date.  It's not all it's cracked up to be.  Plus, it cost a lot of money, especially with the kind of date I had. 

I had to pay for her dinner and she still asked me for money when we were done. She said something about her boss getting real angry if she wastes her time with 'fools who don't pay'.

November 04, 2013, 11:02:39 PM
So you paid her...for her time?

Modern women are whores who think they're queens.