Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Metal fans' personality traits

Metal fans' personality traits
November 08, 2013, 11:01:37 PM
Previous studies have reported reliable associations between personality and music preferences, but have tended to rely on cross-genre preferences at the expense of preferences within a single subgenre. We sought to overcome this limitation by examining associations between individual differences and preferences for a specific subgenre of music, namely, contemporary heavy metal. A total of 414 individuals from Britain were presented with clips of 10 tracks of contemporary heavy metal and asked to rate each for liking. Participants also completed measures of the Big Five personality traits, attitudes toward authority, self-esteem, need for uniqueness, and religiosity. A multiple regression showed that stronger composite preference for the heavy metal tracks was associated with higher Openness to Experience, more negative attitudes toward authority, lower self-esteem, greater need for uniqueness, and lower religiosity. In addition, men showed a significantly stronger preference for the tracks than women (d = 0.54). These results are discussed in terms of the psychological needs that contemporary heavy metal fills for some individuals. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2013 APA, all rights reserved)

http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/2013-35730-001/

* higher Openness to Experience
* negative attitudes toward authority
* lower self-esteem
* greater need for uniqueness
* lower religiosity

I call bullshit -- this sounds more like an alt-rock crowd.

Re: Metal fans' personality traits
November 08, 2013, 11:21:00 PM
Well most metal is shit, so maybe it is right to a degree.

November 09, 2013, 01:10:45 PM
if the study had been in America (Usa - Canada - Mexico - Colombia - Brazil - Chile) I assure you that the result would have been different ...

In Britain punk is dead!!!
the Space Girl brainwashed to people!!!

November 10, 2013, 08:34:25 PM
* higher Openness to Experience
* negative attitudes toward authority
* lower self-esteem
* greater need for uniqueness
* lower religiosity

Sounds spot on to me. Either you're dishonest with yourself, choose to describe those same traits differently, or spend time around a non-representative sample. The third certainly seems possible - I suspect the "conservative" bent that would be represented by this forum would have higher self-esteem, and less of all the other above traits by association. (That said, I still wear metal shirts.)

Solely based off the characteristic dress of of the definitive metal "fan" one could make those generalizations with some fairness, though.

November 11, 2013, 05:56:00 PM
Some of those are euphemistic and none of them singly or altogether constitute properties exclusive to metal listeners. They're typical teens and tweens traits. Open to experience means simply illicit drug experimentation and promiscuity. Miley Sirus and Justin Beiber listeners are every bit as antiauthority and low self esteem. The same goes for the uniqueness compulsion and irreverence. As a matter of fact, metal listeners more frequently break the above mold than non-metal listeners. The study is a misleading total waste.

November 12, 2013, 03:01:20 AM
Some of those are euphemistic and none of them singly or altogether constitute properties exclusive to metal listeners. They're typical teens and tweens traits. Open to experience means simply illicit drug experimentation and promiscuity. Miley Sirus and Justin Beiber listeners are every bit as antiauthority and low self esteem. The same goes for the uniqueness compulsion and irreverence. As a matter of fact, metal listeners more frequently break the above mold than non-metal listeners. The study is a misleading total waste.

Laughably anecdotal, and incomplete "dismissal" of what at least appears to be the result of institutionally (heh) verified work (the article was in an APA publication). A point-by-point breakdown of your post could be a possible means of resolution, but it seems your above determinations lack rigor, emerging from only a passing encounter with an abstract of a "study" in a distinctively qualitative field. Simply, everyone disagrees and wants attention. Yay, diversity of perspectives.

November 12, 2013, 05:02:56 PM
I am with scourge; and we miss something if we pass off his observations for being idiosyncratic.

Most of the kids I knew growing up listened to Creed and Linkoln Park while hating their dads and pastors and trying to score beer and sex. That's like normal stuff for teenagers. The above personality traits describe them just fine.

November 12, 2013, 05:42:30 PM
Laughably anecdotal, and incomplete "dismissal" of what at least appears to be the result of institutionally (heh) verified work (the article was in an APA publication).

lol, rigorous research built off 10 tracks of contemporary heavy metal (what is that anyway?).

November 13, 2013, 01:14:36 AM
I am with scourge; and we miss something if we pass off his observations for being idiosyncratic.

My post - if that is what you are responding to - had nothing to do with idiosyncrasy. It was an attempt at identifying scourge's writing as devoid of observational reasoning. It is hard to interpret his erring skeptic (or at least the manner in which such was wrought) as worthy, insofar as value exists in the investigation of potentially defining characteristics of "metalheads".

Most of the kids I knew growing up listened to Creed and Linkoln Park while hating their dads and pastors and trying to score beer and sex. That's like normal stuff for teenagers. The above personality traits describe them just fine.

So this, and "euphemistic" earlier then refer to a dissatisfaction with a generality of terms quoted, independent of their function within the context of the study itself, and the potential of greater specificity therein. In brief: IT WAS AN ABSTRACT, STOP ATTACKING A STRAWMAN. Specific criticisms are valuable.

November 13, 2013, 03:12:08 AM
Ah, thank you, I wasn't able to find the actual study earlier. I'm not all that clever. On with the criticism!

Besides the fact that the music used is still mainstream within the broad spectrum of popularities that is extreme metal, the paper sums up my other concerns in the last half of page 5. When a person is aware that their answers are being isolated and observed among other answers in a study, they are sure to answer differently than if they they were not aware of being part of a study. This is a variable that can only be avoided if you have blind participants, which would surely be difficult to pull off when putting together a study like this, which requires voluntary cooperation of the participants. In other words; the participants may well have responded differently had they been unaware they were being studied.

The ultimate conclusion in this case is that attending a university doesn't help you overcome a shitty taste in music.

(In case anyone missed it, the bands include Enslaved, Cradle of Filth, As I Gay Dying, Disturbed, August Burns Red.)

November 13, 2013, 04:58:54 AM
(In case anyone missed it, the bands include Enslaved, Cradle of Filth, As I Gay Dying, Disturbed, August Burns Red.)

Funny how two of those five are Christian bands yet one of the traits described it "lower religiosity." The study addresses metal as how the average person/non-metalhead would define it, not even close to how a more exclusive site such as this would define it.

November 13, 2013, 05:11:53 AM
I would be inclined to label users around here as being inclined to higher "religiosity" than others, whether metal or not.

Relevant metal bands usually incorporate religious symbolism, some even going beyond and endorsing it outright.

So a washed up black metal band (that was never essential to start with), a "black" metal sell-in band, aids, nu-metal, and some band that I haven't heard but sounds like it'd be popular in malls. Not a good selection.

November 13, 2013, 05:35:36 AM
So my original beef was with the study's main claim. I mentioned Creed and Linkoln Park because I knew people who listened to those bands (and other radio rock) and were not religious, "open to experience", etc., basically people with the same personality traits that this study claims are common among metal listeners.  These "metal" bands used in the study are no different in substance than Creed. Therefore I rest my case; this study is a waste of time to us because "metal" clearly means something entirely different to those that conducted the study and this forum's users. Waste of time because it tells us nothing generally about ourselves; just confirms shit that we already knew through everyday observation.

November 13, 2013, 02:34:23 PM
I mentioned Creed and Linkoln Park because I knew people who listened to those bands (and other radio rock) and were not religious, "open to experience", etc., basically people with the same personality traits that this study claims are common among metal listeners.  These "metal" bands used in the study are no different in substance than Creed. Therefore I rest my case; this study is a waste of time to us because "metal" clearly means something entirely different to those that conducted the study and this forum's users. Waste of time because it tells us nothing generally about ourselves; just confirms shit that we already knew through everyday observation.

Generalities regarding musical harshness and outlook could be true. Supposed qualitative reasoning fails insofar as definitions and concepts vary among populations. My argument remains that the "confirms what we already know" mentality regarding scientific inquiry is more or less worthless, and is a significant hindrance to future learning.A convenient, maybe necessary, individual lifestyle crutch, but not with effective execution in this context. The "worthless" comment implies a forum structure that both you, and I, have clearly contradicted.

On my part, I don't have the inclination to be more specific with this post due to time constraints.

November 13, 2013, 02:36:52 PM
I would be inclined to label users around here as being inclined to higher "religiosity" than others, whether metal or not.

Relevant metal bands usually incorporate religious symbolism, some even going beyond and endorsing it outright.

Depending on "religiosity". It's weird to encounter people self-reporting as either "spiritual" or "religious", and see how this manifests itself. In that context, metal could easily be considered as a sort of religion.