Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Being somebody

Being somebody
November 09, 2013, 01:23:09 PM
I've realized that my biggest enemy is myself.

To some degree, I've always desired to be somebody. Sombody special. Somebody important. Somebody worth noticing.

Even while seeking to extinguish the ego, I've been desiring. Desiring to be nothing, nobody. Somebody who was nothing or nobody.

But today I ask myself: What is a 'somebody'? What is it I want to be?

I haven't ceased wanting to be. In fact, that's the only thing remaining: Wanting to be.

What has ceased is somebody. I've forgotten somebody. Somebody's gone.

Yet I still am. I just don't know exactly what. But it's definitely not 'somebody'. In fact, it is just the opposite: My being simply is whatever it is that I am. Nothing more.

I find it strange that I could've ever wanted something else - foolish even. But foolish in a way that brings a smile to my face.

Re: Being somebody
November 09, 2013, 05:22:59 PM
Consider the concepts destiny and choice. Some recent studies have brought the notion of our actually making many choices into question. The extent of our free will is in question. Our brains are already hard wired to elect this or that response to some given stimulus over a multitude of other possible responses.

You could practically say something like Windows 8 or the SETI program are examples of like kind for how people describe the way free will and choices work: merely distinctions, valuations and responses.

I think it is somewhat related to the study on driving where people are mostly in a sort of autopilot mental state. Sure turns are made, stops taken, obstacles avoided but these actions are all in the conscious background while thoughts other than driving take center stage.

But these center stage thoughts aren't always active choices currently underway. They're projections of what we are planning, reviewing what we have already done, or just idle daydreaming.

November 09, 2013, 08:24:31 PM
It's the way of the young to want to be 'somebody'. Nothing unusual about that.
Age generally takes care of it. But when it doesn't, some investigation is in order.
It is probably a healthy thing to want to be somebody, as long as that somebody you wish to be is you, and not somebody you definitely are not.

One of the major challenges everybody faces at some point, is figuring out who they are.
It would seem to be a simple enough thing, but it can be considerably more difficult that it seems.
The longer you leave it, the more difficult it becomes.

November 09, 2013, 09:24:35 PM
It won't matter if you think you're somebody or not.

In 5,000 years, none of us will be remembered.

Beer and titties!  8)

November 09, 2013, 09:47:15 PM
In 5,000 years, none of us will be remembered.
I disagree, about 2,300 years later Aristotle is still somebody. With the dawn of the information age I'm sure if we are still around in 5,000 years people will know who the geniuses and heroes of this age were if they're interested. Seeing as how there are people still interested in what we were doing 5000 years ago today I'm sure there will be interest.

November 09, 2013, 11:04:11 PM
History is written by the victors.

5,000 years is a long time. Enough so to warrant many collapses that our age may be remembered, but the details and inner workings may possibly not survive.

That's if humans are still around then.

Beer and titties!  8)

November 09, 2013, 11:14:05 PM
I don't understand what is meant when OP talks about "being somebody". There is some body across the street from me. It is moaning and wailing and there are about 10 EMTs and state security workers milling about. Two ambulances, a fire engine, and at least one patrol car are parked nearby with floods and warning lights blazing away. That is some body.

If you want to be some body that people remember, then you have a complicated road ahead of you. It seems like people are remembered or forgotten by mostly arbitrary causes. If your idea lasts a long time and people know the name of yours attached to the idea, then you are remembered, but how you are remembered is hardly up to you.

There is a difference between being remembered by people, with their faulty memories skewed by projection and anticipation, and then there is universal memory, which is impossible to negate. You can tell someone what you look like, or you can make a print of your body in wet cement. Your impressions are what will be remembered because they shape the universe. Forget what people remember; they already have forgotten anyway.

November 09, 2013, 11:28:19 PM
The problem arises of the projection of being someone and being content with that projection.

However, all of these are irrelevant. The question should be asked: who am I and what can I do to better myself?

Identity eventually becomes same-same and desires will shift for new things. All things are no longer concrete -- but what will continually grant you your joy within yourself?

Most people breed to feel important, but I have a feeling that the DMU forum is populated by people that value life outside of a biological standpoint. Ideas take work to materialize.