Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

What bands are you listening to today?

Re: What Band are you listening today?
January 07, 2014, 01:58:40 PM
I AM THE FUCKING SODOMIZER.

...currently listening to Gift of Gods. Next up: Voivod.

January 09, 2014, 07:13:45 AM
Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness

This is such a great album on so many different levels.

Marvellous!!

Today:

Nifelheim - Nifelheim 1995

Nifelheim is a sing along death/speed metal retro band and this self-title album is their best.

January 09, 2014, 10:31:16 AM
This Ukrainian guys is tearing my brain! Simple and powerful - just what I like!

downwind.bandcamp.com

January 09, 2014, 02:07:53 PM
This Ukrainian guys is tearing my brain! Simple and powerful - just what I like!

downwind.bandcamp.com

You're listening to or making propaganda?

now:

Obituary - World Demise 1994

January 10, 2014, 02:10:21 PM

downwind.bandcamp.com

You're listening to or making propaganda?

now:

Obituary - World Demise 1994

Oh, of course. The correct answer was DOWNWIND - Thy Childre (2013)

And now I'm listening In Flames - The Jester Race 1996

January 11, 2014, 12:44:21 AM
If "band" is only Metal:

Celtic Frost and At the Gates (in a playlist with Bruckner, Saint-Saens and Wagner).

Today I also have a hunger for Cenotaph's second album, Time Ghoul's two-song EP and Morpheus Descends.  Probably some Baroque music mixed in with these last bands.

January 11, 2014, 03:32:55 PM
Today I also have a hunger for Cenotaph's second album... and Morpheus Descends.

Me too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap6EIJHgkBY

January 11, 2014, 03:42:52 PM
Summoning - Minas Morgul.

Previously this album had come across to me as the band's most awkward release. Now it seems exceptional.

Seasonal favorites:

Sorcier des Glaces
Norwegian black metal (what you'd expect)

Re: What bands are you listening to today?
January 11, 2014, 06:51:45 PM
Today (and yesterday) Paganini's Caprices on violin, and then Rachmoninoff's orchestral interpretation of the same. I heard the two versions back-to-back played on the radio and WOW. Can't say that one is clearly superior to the other, but hearing both definitely deepend my appreciation for the music overall. Beautiful stuff.

January 11, 2014, 07:49:09 PM
Giving Obliteration - Black Death Horizon a shot. Initial impressions: High energy, cool drum performance, but unbalanced and awkward composition. The band seems to be unaware that the atmosphere parts aren't working as well as they think when juxtaposed next to the "fun" Celtic Frost sections, which sounds more like Darkthrone doing Celtic Frost. On occasion I forget I'm not listening to Aura Noir. C-

Editupdate:

The more I listen the more I hate it, there's a good heavy metal band in here but they won't admit it to themselves.

January 12, 2014, 08:20:32 AM
Today (and yesterday) Paganini's Caprices on violin, and then Rachmoninoff's orchestral interpretation of the same. I heard the two versions back-to-back played on the radio and WOW. Can't say that one is clearly superior to the other, but hearing both definitely deepend my appreciation for the music overall. Beautiful stuff.

doing back-to-back listening or different renditions while really paying attention often yields interesting insights into the music.  I really like doing this too.  When I have the energy to do so...

I trying to give the band Obscura a chance after a long time.  On Retribution right now, can't say much.  Pretty pedestrian and not very creative stuff, composition-wise.  I will give the famed Cosmogenesis  a good listen later.

January 12, 2014, 01:13:14 PM
Not worth the time (Obscura the band). Dont bother. All crap.

January 12, 2014, 03:36:20 PM
Not worth the time (Obscura the band). Dont bother. All crap.

Yes, I went through all their albums starting at the most-recent. Sometimes there are cool guitar lixx but I'll just listen to Paul Gilbert or Steve Vai if that's what I want to hear. Retribution is the best album (even has Death and Morbid Angel covers if I remember) but mostly just modernized bang-whiz-pow holy-triggered-blast-beats, Batman and Van Halen guitar fireworks.

January 12, 2014, 06:54:21 PM
The DLA review of Persecution Mania makes the major issue of that album very apparent. Lets take one of my half favourite (will explain why) songs for instance; Christ Passion. This song is basically similar to the track Persecution Mania, only filled with totally idiotic mood ruining `thrashy` bouncy riffs. One moment you are enjoying the deepening dark mood, the next moment its back to totally out of place idiocy. If that song was stripped of half its content it would be the best track on the album. Anyway, its still cool. I even like Agent Orange.

Going to flat out disagree here. Could be my upbringing as a hardcore/punk kid (higher tolerance for 'bouncy' riffs I guess?) but I don't see what you've described as a problem. In fact, the slowing down to half time helps make the last section of the song have that much more impact. The break in "Electrocution" is a fine example of that too. The intensity drops are deliberate and well done if you ask me. Speed/thrash have always had their fair share of 'bouncy' riffs - it's a characteristic of the genre.

Anyway, today I've been listening to:

Disfear - A Brutal Sight of War and Soul Scars
Rudimentary Peni - Farce and Death Church
Sodom again, actually. Heh.
and Demolition Hammer's 2 good albums.

January 12, 2014, 07:06:51 PM
Good to see another RP fan.

Today so far, Dr Know and Nominon.