Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

What bands are you listening to today?

Re: What bands are you listening to today?
February 01, 2014, 01:02:45 AM
I've seen Indian classical mentioned around here a few times. Would you mind recommending me one symphony/opus from either of these composers? I'd like to dive into this genre; I've never heard classical music outside of a European/American context and I'm pretty curious.

Sorry my friend, missed this post. I am afraid what you requested does not apply, both of these are performers. There is no real concept of composer separate from performer in indian classical. In fact it has pretty much nothing in common with Western music, even the understanding of scales/notes etc. is different. Indian music would be closer to folk music as opposed to the large scale of western classical. There is generally a single performer with a small supporting group and the music consists of a single melodic line (there are no chords in indian music) with a strong focus on improvisation within certain forms. There was a thread on the forum which may be a good place to start just to ground yourself and satisfy curiousity: http://www.deathmetal.org/forum/index.php/topic,7791.0.html (if you have further interest just bump that thread).

Try this, focusing on the final two minutes or so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hobK_8bIDvk

Listening to Betrayer - Calamity. I might even prefer Maze of Suffering to Maze of Torment :D

Found this book to be of great use in helping to understand 'Indian classical music' from a western perspective. It's also worth noting that Hindustani and south Indian music are largely considered to be as distinct from each other as they are from western classical music.

February 01, 2014, 05:17:25 AM
Nah they share a lot, I dont know why you would say that. Carnatic music is much more streamlined as far as theory is concerned now though. Still, they operate on similar principles. Personally, I prefer hindustani music and hindustani performers, probably a bit of cultural bias at work there; more courtly/regal. I distrust western sources on indian music because often some of the greatest performers are just not engaged (language and exposure issues), and the ones that are do a lot of crap fusion-y and experimental stuff or are somewhat dishonest (fuck Ravi Shankar). It isnt difficult to understand or appreciate, a bit of experience is all that is required. Wikipedia is probably good enough to sort out any holes after that. Anyway, not the place for this stuff.

Currently listening to Insanity - Death after Death and Emperor - Wrath of the Tyrant. Love that last one, sometimes even more than ItNE. Someone needs to copy that shit, its so deliciously evil.

February 01, 2014, 01:37:12 PM
the simplicity of the BATHORY - BATHORY

http://www.deathmetal.org/bands/bathory/bathory-bathory/

February 02, 2014, 01:12:03 AM
Thanks for the information, trystero. Shows how unfamiliar I am with it when I can't request properly! I'll dive into it tomorrow as I've got the whole day off with not much planned.

Today:

Fang - Landshark/Where the Wild Things Are
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_KRk9e5Zy4 (best track by far hah)

February 02, 2014, 01:27:23 AM
Three days ago I listened to Immortal - Battles in the North.
Two days ago I listened to Impaled Nazarene - Ugra Karma.

Do you see some sort of pattern occurring here?

February 14, 2014, 08:08:54 PM
Dark Angel - Leave Scars 1989

All music by Hoglan & Durkin
All lyrics by Hoglan, except Never to Rise Again by Durkin & Rinehart
and Immigrant Song by Jimmy Page & Robert Plant.

February 15, 2014, 06:21:26 AM
Root - first 3 albums.

Forgot how good this band is. Refreshing stuff, even if a little awkward at times.

February 15, 2014, 09:33:40 PM
Constantly listening to Saint Vitus, the first two Wino albums. I used to think Dave Chandler`s solos were mostly noise, but he puts enough structure in them that they turn into something else entirely. Kind of like Trey Azagthoth if he sucked at guitar. The lyrics are very powerful and very metal. I am usually not impressed by sordid tales of drug abuse but these are profound, not half because of the delivery, Weinrich is *ADJECTIVES*.

February 15, 2014, 11:27:31 PM
In the kitchen, obsessively blasting early Massacra, Sepultura and Incantation.

February 16, 2014, 04:38:05 AM
the simplicity of the BATHORY - BATHORY

http://www.deathmetal.org/bands/bathory/bathory-bathory/

On Schumann at the moment.
But then I'm going to go through Bathory's first three albums.
Then hit some Locatelli and Beethoven.
Afterwards I'll probably listen to At the Gates, Demilich, and Incantation while getting some music studying done. :D

February 16, 2014, 05:48:03 AM
Burzum. Nothing post-jail.

February 21, 2014, 01:28:32 PM
Taake - Hordalands Doedskvad 2005

The album features guest performances by Nattefrost, Nordavind, Taipan, Discomforter, Utflod, Stoever & John Boyle.

Hordaland is a county in south-western Norway (it includes the city of Bergen). "Doedskvad" means death chant in English.

February 22, 2014, 04:39:17 AM
Most of the time :

Over-powered swedish style guitars.
Loud kick/snare.

Bolt thrower ... we will remember.
Exhumed
Hypocrisy. Ultra violent destruction.

February 22, 2014, 07:31:58 PM
I'm in the middle of giving Bongripper's Satan Worshipping Doom a try. The fact that there are no vocals is a strong point of this album - really lets the riffs breathe. They're pretty good at providing a lot of variation within one particular tempo. Downsides are a few post-rocky sounding riffs here and there. Overall I'm liking this first listen, but will have to see how it holds up in the future.

NVM

February 23, 2014, 04:09:35 PM
I'm in the middle of giving Bongripper's Satan Worshipping Doom a try. The fact that there are no vocals is a strong point of this album - really lets the riffs breathe. They're pretty good at providing a lot of variation within one particular tempo. Downsides are a few post-rocky sounding riffs here and there. Overall I'm liking this first listen, but will have to see how it holds up in the future.

They're certainly a huge cut above the rest of the slow, sludgy Metal that weekenders seem to like. I like that album.

Lately I've been on a big Fields Of The Nephilim, Samhain and Sisters of Mercy kick.