Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Misanthropy

Misanthropy
November 09, 2013, 09:52:15 PM
I've been noticing a lot of misanthropy around here. The other Hessians like to note that cats never cleared a forest or created a nuclear bomb, but I would like to note that cats also never composed a beautiful symphony or fell in love.

I ain't knocking on cats, they have their place but so does humanity. If it weren't for humans the universe couldn't observe itself.

And humans are intelligent, in many ways liberalism is a disease that only appears in civilizations too smart for their own good. Of course you take intelligence a step higher then you can realize the folly in liberalism.

Re: Misanthropy
November 09, 2013, 10:47:45 PM
So smarts and intelligence are not the same thing?

It looks like misanthropy is one of those words that is tossed out to shut down a perspective that is considered dangerous (like racism, homophobia etc, but to a lesser extent). If someone had a fairly pure hatred of humanity then why would they take time to criticize our failings? You'd think that a pure misanhtropist would withrdraw altogether or dedicate themselves to anti-human activities (Aum Shinrikyo comes to mind). But anti-human is not the same as anti-humanism, and most of the "misanhtropes" around here are really just staunchly anti-humanists. Or am I missing something?

November 09, 2013, 10:58:10 PM
Beer and titties!  :D

November 09, 2013, 11:15:28 PM
Hedonism is the most rational perspective, so I can hardly argue.

November 09, 2013, 11:21:31 PM
If it weren't for humans the universe couldn't observe itself.

First off, humans are not the universe.

Humans can observe the universe, but so can cats, dogs, chickens, and squirrels.

Humans can think about the universe.

But that serves nobody but the humans.

Your claim that cats can't fall in love is ridiculous.

As to symphonies, cats have no need for a symphony. Every moment is a symphony for them.

Humans use music/art as a surrogate activity to reconnect themselves to their severed link with reality.

Cats are always in reality.

Cats>humans

November 10, 2013, 12:27:16 AM
I don't know how many cats you've been around, but my home has been home to many cats and they are no more or less susceptible to neurosis and egotism than any human I've met.

November 10, 2013, 12:29:52 AM
I wonder what you're doing to your cats.

November 10, 2013, 12:38:21 AM
I wasn't implying ownership of these animals. I never name them and most are rescues.

November 10, 2013, 12:39:39 AM
Well, there you go. They're that way because of humans.

November 10, 2013, 12:43:59 AM
How many cats does one encounter that have not been tempered in one way or another by humanity?

November 10, 2013, 12:47:52 AM
I hope I don't need to clarify the difference between an abused cat and one that was not.

November 10, 2013, 01:27:37 AM
Considering abused animals as evidence to the contrary of your claims would completely invalidate my position. I assure you I am not making that mistake.

November 10, 2013, 01:46:35 AM
This is your argument:

Humans have modified a world in such scope that cats must be influenced/violence does not contribute to neurotic behavior/cats are intrinsically neurotic.

Nothing leads from one to the other.

November 10, 2013, 01:52:43 AM
I've been noticing a lot of misanthropy around here. The other Hessians like to note that cats never cleared a forest or created a nuclear bomb, but I would like to note that cats also never composed a beautiful symphony or fell in love.

I ain't knocking on cats, they have their place but so does humanity. If it weren't for humans the universe couldn't observe itself.

And humans are intelligent, in many ways liberalism is a disease that only appears in civilizations too smart for their own good. Of course you take intelligence a step higher then you can realize the folly in liberalism.

I think humanity is too complex and varied a topic to hold in absolute opposition. If I 'hated' humanity, surely it is only due to a wrong turn I think I saw it make. Does that then mean that in fact I care about it because I love it (or at least what I consider to be my part in it).

Really it's a matter of potential. The phenomenal human intelligence has allowed for a greater capacity to create or destroy than that of non-human life. Overcoming this predominantly destructive phase (where intelligence doesn't accord with nature) will be the characteristic struggle of the modern era.

November 10, 2013, 02:45:27 AM
This is your argument:

Humans have modified a world in such scope that cats must be influenced/violence does not contribute to neurotic behavior/cats are intrinsically neurotic.

Nothing leads from one to the other.

That is not an accurate perception.

1) Neurosis is a potential.

2) Any claims made in respects to the behavior of cats has to accept the human influence.

It's assumed that we are talking about the domestic breeds here and not lions or tigers.

Anecdotally, I have experienced neurotic behavior in cats that were not the product of abuse. This statement does not disqualify abuse as a cause, and it was not my intention to communicate otherwise.

I hope this clears it up.